Author Topic: Testing Accuracy  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Anton

• Full Netter
Testing Accuracy
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 19:37:30 »
I ask this more our of idle curiosity than anything, but is there some issue with Think Broadband's speed tester and the IDNet Service.

Whenever I test via Think Broadband, I get much lower figures than other tests. For example, all these results were obtained in the last 10 minutes:

BT Speedtester -   Down 30.03Mbps - Up 7.84Mbps
Speedtest.net -     Down 32.05Mbps - Up 7.71Mbps
Think Broadband - Down 12.26Mbps - Up 7.67Mbps

Some of my neighbours have infinity and their results appear to be in the BT Speedtester range.

Any ideas why the Think Broadband tester would consistently report my connection to be so much slower than any other I've tried?
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Re: Testing Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 19:45:20 »

Those are 2 tests maybe 2 mins apart, TBB always give a worse result than Speedtest or BT for me.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Anton

• Full Netter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 19:46:06 »
Any ideas why the Think Broadband tester would consistently report my connection to be so much slower than any other I've tried?

Ahh, not wishing to answer my own question use Port 80 resolves it - reporting 34Mbps now, So I presume it's a routing/firewall issue, but it's a shame as TBB quote speeds on their Map and IDnet will always be artificially depressed which can't be great for business development...  :shake:
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 20:13:15 »
Historically the TBB speedtest has always given me sub-par results and when I contacted Andrew and Seb about it they basically had a tantrum and launched into a rant about how their speedtester is correct and all the others wrong.  :-\

Offline Bill

• Netter Nutter
  • Older and wiser.... yeah, right.
    • Gallery
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 20:54:53 »
Historically the TBB speedtest has always given me sub-par results and when I contacted Andrew and Seb about it they basically had a tantrum and launched into a rant about how their speedtester is correct and all the others wrong.  :-\

Yup, been there  :(

It's not just IDNet, there's something odd (and intermittent) about the tbb tester and FTTC- it's been raised by people on a range of ISPs. My theory is that it's something to do with routing- if there's some upset that could have an effect on the routing then I can get full speed on the tester for a few days after it's fixed, then it drops back to the usual 65-70%. But it's not a reliable hypothesis!

Seb and co don't seem to want to know, so I've given up asking about it
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 21:49:45 »
Same thing happens with my Plusnet connection & the TBB tester, even when using port 80.

I stick with speedtest.net. It's a little more optimistic than BT's speed test, but it's always consistent (relative to sync speeds).

I just need a consistent connection to go with it  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.