Author Topic: optical  (Read 404 times)

Offline talos

• Live-in Netter
optical
« on: Apr 07, 2021, 13:29:41 »
Looking to buy a new sound amp for my TV . The TV has an optical skt and the amp also, my question is what is an optical connection, what goes thru it , would  it work as a sound out on the TV and a sound in on the amp.
 Sorry if this is a bit basic , but I'm still using Phono plugs and skts .

BoB

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: optical
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2021, 14:14:06 »
It's a digital audio connection, Bob, that enables multi-channel audio (surround sound) with compatible equipment.  From a TV, you would only get multi-channel audio from sources that provide it, such as Netflix and some Sky channels.  Most terrestrial TV audio is standard stereo, as far as I am aware, but the optical connection would provide digital audio, rather than analogue which you would get from your phono connections.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline talos

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2021, 14:34:10 »
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/amplifiers-receivers/tibo-amp435.html

Sounds just the job , thanks Simon
                                                          If you have time take, a look at my proposed choice, I would value your opinion
               Bob

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2021, 15:14:07 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Don't be hoodwinked into buying hyper-expensive cables for this. Gold plating does absolutely nothing for optical except add a little bling to the outside of the connector. For short distances (shorter than about 10 ft or so) the cheap cables will work identically to more expensive ones.

Offline talos

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2021, 15:18:21 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

Don't be hoodwinked into buying hyper-expensive cables for this. Gold plating does absolutely nothing for optical except add a little bling to the outside of the connector. For short distances (shorter than about 10 ft or so) the cheap cables will work identically to more expensive ones.

Been caught on that before when buying scart leads from Curries  >:( Thanks

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2021, 17:40:08 »
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/amplifiers-receivers/tibo-amp435.html

Sounds just the job , thanks Simon
                                                          If you have time take, a look at my proposed choice, I would value your opinion
               Bob

It's not a brand I've heard of, Bob, so can't really offer an opinion.  On the surface it seems good value for a stereo (not surround sound) amp, and seems to have mostly good customer reviews, but I would perhaps also suggest paying attention to some of the critical reviews before making your decision.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline talos

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2021, 05:26:05 »
I agree its not a well known brand, and probably a bit basic, but all I need it for is to improve the sound coming through my TV using my existing speakers. My present amp is good (or was) but its getting a bit long in the tooth and this one seems a cheap and cheerful solution.  I have tried various "sound bars" but not found one in my price range that I could live with,
  Thanks Simon I will do as you say and research this a little more before jumping.

Bob

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 19:48:37 »
It does not send volume signal. So you may need to keep swapping remotes/changing volume if you use optical.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline talos

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 07:22:46 »
It does not send volume signal. So you may need to keep swapping remotes/changing volume if you use optical.
Thanks Ben , found that out to my cost , thought I had blown it , but seems Ok

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 14:31:54 »
Thanks Ben , found that out to my cost , thought I had blown it , but seems Ok
I only know it matters... cos it's a killer to family. Me, I change the volume. My family? "What it does not do it for itself and wash the dishes, and also read my mind, and I have to move a finger and do something that takes effort!?!?!?!?!" ;)  :eyebrow:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.