Author Topic: Anyone use NOW TV?  (Read 62 times)

Offline nettech3286

• New Netter
Anyone use NOW TV?
« on: Dec 03, 2019, 13:08:58 »
When I stream a film on NOW TV (via Samsung Smarthub TV app) I occasionally get an extremely pixelated picture which usually requires a stop/start of the film to get it to recover.  However, when looking on the NOW TV forums a couple of people had found that changing their DNS to point to the Google DNS servers had fixed or improved things and sure enough since I've done this things are much better - the pixelation occurs much less frequently and is not as bad, plus it recovers on its own.  Previously I had been using IDNet's DNS servers.

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced the same thing?  I'm pretty sure the issue is at the NOW TV end of things but it seems odd to me (I work in networking but have no knowledge of streaming platforms) that DNS servers would make a difference.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: Anyone use NOW TV?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 15:57:44 »
I have NOW TV but only use it occasionally, and have not noticed that issue.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline nowster

• Master Netter
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 16:50:58 »
Welcome to the world of Content Delivery Networks, where the IP address returned by DNS queries depends on where the query comes from. They try to point your video client at the closest server. If the DNS server you're using isn't on the same network as you're connected to, the server chosen might not be the optimum one.

Another resolver you could try is the one from Cloudflare on 1.1.1.1

Offline nettech3286

• New Netter
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 17:47:22 »
Thanks nowster.  Whilst your reply makes sense, what I'm struggling with is why it should want to switch source servers mid-film.  Other than an outage somewhere on the path between me and the server, the only explanation I can think of is poorly-implemented load balancing.  I'll try Cloudflare and see it is makes any difference.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 19:37:31 »
I sometimes stream YouTube videos through an app on my Sony Bluray player and whilst the videos play fine, the bloody ads that they force you to watch, stammer and stutter their way through.  I was starting to think it's to make you watch them for longer, as the "Skip ad in three seconds" button often takes about ten seconds to load. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.