Author Topic: Urgent help[, calamity!!!!  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Broadback

• Master Netter
Urgent help[, calamity!!!!
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:58:01 »
I set fire to the house a week ago last Saturday. On the plus side my wife has been very understanding and solid support. However I have had no internet until I borrowed a son's spare computer. I would like to get all my files off the old one (it works just)but very slowly) off my old computer and onto this one. What is the best way of doing this? I have a Macrium back up but cannot get that to work.
Thanks
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: Urgent help[, calamity!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 20:20:25 »
Depending on how much data is involved, you could simply connect an external USB drive to the first PC, move the files to that, then connect the USB drive to the second PC, and copy the files over.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Broadback

• Master Netter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 13:59:05 »
Sorry for not replying sooner, as you may imagine I have been tied up with sorting the insurance.I have got over it by taking my computer yo a repair shop. They cleaned it and it is now fine. the only downside is I am having to use it in the garage which has a totally separate power supply to the house, luckily, as there is still no power in house. t seems it will be 6 months before all is straight. Oven chips from now on!

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 14:45:56 »
I only do oven chips. Stopped frying years ago. I know I am easily distracted. A couple of times, the habit of ALWAYS putting the iron upright has kept things from getting too toasty too.
Hope all goes well!
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 18:30:41 »
Sorry to hear that, Broadback.  That must have been quite a serious fire!   :o
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Broadback

• Master Netter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:17 »
It was, at least by my and the insurance company's yardstick. there will be no more fat fryer or candles in our house! the on blessing is that no one was hurt!

Offline john

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 00:20:50 »
We've replaced most of the candles/tea lights with artificial LED ones and whilst not as realistic they are acceptable. My wife still likes to have real scented candles sometimes though. We've only ever used oven chips for years and we usually cook them in a halogen oven to save electricity.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.