Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
IDNet Help / Re: FTTP New Installation Process
« Last post by Simon on Yesterday at 17:00:26 »
I've since had automated phone messages saying it had been changed to Monday and then another one saying it had been put back to Friday.  I'm trying to get IDNet to clarify when exactly they are coming.  :facepalm:
« Last post by peasblossom on Yesterday at 16:15:15 »
Sending you positive vibes, Simon. Maybe some for OR too, in the hope that it goes smoothly.
« Last post by Simon on Yesterday at 12:07:50 »
The internal work has been confirmed for this Friday.  :wimp:
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Yesterday at 01:27:38 »
Was gigabit even a thing then?

Just about. I think Gigabit Ethernet became mainstream around 20+ years ago.

« Last post by Simon on Yesterday at 01:08:37 »
Apparently not.  It seems there is already a gigabit cable present, as confirmed by two different OR engineers, so my understanding is they will fit one of the RJ45 'ends' to the existing cable downstairs, and the ONT will connect to that.  The new faceplate then replaces my current telephone faceplate upstairs, which will connect to the ONT downstairs, and the router will then connect to the new faceplate, forming the link to the ONT.  So, basically, if all goes to plan, they'll be using the internal cabling, thus negating the need for any drilling. 

What makes me a little skeptical is the question as to why the property would have been equipped with gigabit wiring when it was built 20 years ago.  Was gigabit even a thing then?
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Apr 16, 2024, 23:58:41 »
and I've got to buy an Ethernet faceplate and ends off Amazon, so that the engineer can convert one of my upstairs phone sockets into an Ethernet port, which will then connect to the box downstairs.
I assume that means running a new cable?
« Last post by Simon on Apr 16, 2024, 19:18:54 »
Just a quick further update - another guy came out just now to check the cable installation, and has signed it off for the next stage.

We discussed the internal install, and I've got to buy an Ethernet faceplate and ends off Amazon, so that the engineer can convert one of my upstairs phone sockets into an Ethernet port, which will then connect to the box downstairs.  I can connect the new router to the new Ethernet port and thus hopefully avoid any necessity for drilling holes.

The only issue is, I will lose the copper phone terminal for that room upstairs, but as I have two other copper phone sockets, hopefully they will both still work and it will just mean having the DECT base in another room, until I switch to VoIP.

I'm now in two minds as to whether to just go all in and swap to VoIP now, so I've asked IDNet how long it would actually take to swap over to their UBOSS service. 

All of the above is dependant on a competent engineer showing up to do the internal job.  Apparently, some of them are purely fibre installers and haven't worked with copper.
IDNet Help / Re: The UK Landline Switch Off - What You Need To Know 
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Apr 16, 2024, 12:45:07 »
Either as a result of the estate having things like alarm pendants still on copper-style technology rather than IP-based or so that existing landlines will work through the kit being installed in exchanges to act in lieu of an ATA at the premises.  The latter has been referenced somewhere in this forum but I can't find the link at the moment.  Whichever way it will only be a temporary expedient.

I guess that's probably it. It may be coincidence but there was a serious fire at one of the properties not so long ago. If it wasn't for the bravery of a passing neighbour, the occupant who is unable to walk, would have gone up with it.
IDNet Help / Re: The UK Landline Switch Off - What You Need To Know 
« Last post by Postal on Apr 16, 2024, 08:25:13 »
Openreach appear to be reinstating copper lines to an assisted living estate near where we live. They already have FTTP so I can't imagine what else it could be :dunno:

Either as a result of the estate having things like alarm pendants still on copper-style technology rather than IP-based or so that existing landlines will work through the kit being installed in exchanges to act in lieu of an ATA at the premises.  The latter has been referenced somewhere in this forum but I can't find the link at the moment.  Whichever way it will only be a temporary expedient.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.