Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Networking & Routers / Re: New UBOSS VOIP service in addition to CENTREX
« Last post by nowster on Yesterday at 23:21:16 »
IIRC BT have already trialled it (Bournemouth is an exchange which took part in the first trial).
That's because they've run out of numbers in that code and will have started to use 0 or 1 as the start of the local number, meaning the exchange can't tell if you're doing local dialling, dialling a short code (eg. 17070), or an STD code without applying a timeout.

eg. a number like 01202 123456 or 01202 012020.

There have been "shadow" numbers with local parts starting with 0 and 1 since the 1990s at least, eg. 0161-0xx xxxx, usually used as the physical destinations of 0800 or similar numbers.
« Last post by Simon on Yesterday at 20:34:20 »
So, I've been looking at the UBOSS service in more detail, and it seems from the information on IDNet, Call Blocking / Barring is not available, and neither is the option to withhold your number when calling.   Both of these functions are listed under the Centrix service, but not under UBOSS.  This is a bit of a concern as I have always relied on both of these features. 
« Last post by Postal on Yesterday at 09:19:44 »
Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?

That is probably going to happen on the existing landline network as well as the IP based services (for as long as that network is still there).  OfCOM published a paper in March 2022 (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/233745/Future-of-Numbering-Statement-on-geographic-numbering.pdf) signposting the route.  IIRC BT have already trialled it (Bournemouth is an exchange which took part in the first trial).
« Last post by Simon on Apr 23, 2024, 13:09:26 »
There are lots of telephony settings within the router which I could probably get myself in a total mess with. 
« Last post by nowster on Apr 23, 2024, 12:53:00 »
Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?
Depends where they're calling from. If they're still on a landline, local calling should still work. Londoners haven't got local calling (with 8 digit local numbers) into their heads anyway.

Calling out from VoIP depends on how the dialling rules are set up. It's possible to implement local calling as a mapping (eg. any 6 digit number that doesn't start with 0 or 1 gets expanded to the full number).
« Last post by Simon on Apr 23, 2024, 11:47:20 »

I'm still debating with myself on whether or when to do the swap.  Part of me wants to just get it all done and dusted, and it would also be cheaper in the long run, but another part is still apprehensive.
« Last post by Ray on Apr 23, 2024, 10:51:32 »
 Now up and running and working fine, the only oddity is that Idnet have to provide a string of letters to enter into the phone number field in the router Telephone setup, if you enter your phone number it doesn't work! strange!  :dunno:
« Last post by Simon on Apr 20, 2024, 16:26:49 »
Anyone who has Uboss VOIP how long did it take to get set up? mine was supposed to be active on the 18th of April - I'm still waiting!  :slap:

I was told around five days, Ray.  I guess they need time to port the number.  I asked, just in case I was left without the landline after the FTTP installation, but it's all fine and I still have a landline in two rooms. 
« Last post by dudwell on Apr 20, 2024, 16:13:52 »
I think it happened on the promised date though I didn't receive any message. I found out only the next day when my daughter tried to phone me. She obtained a ringing tone but I heard nothing. Fearing I might have expired, she WhatsApped and I realised the changeover must have happened. I switched plug from BT mastersocket to TP-Link router and found phone was working. We exchanged test calls to check.

Incidentally I have found call volume to be louder with VoIP while audio quality is excellent.
« Last post by Ray on Apr 20, 2024, 15:16:15 »
Anyone who has Uboss VOIP how long did it take to get set up? mine was supposed to be active on the 18th of April - I'm still waiting!  :slap:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.