Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
IDNet Help / Re: FTTP New Installation Process
« Last post by Clive on Yesterday at 10:50:27 »
 :congrat4:  Simon in joining the Fast Club.   :thumb:
« Last post by john7 on Yesterday at 09:16:45 »
Is it even possible to get 550 upload speed?
I have no idea (on this sort of product) if it is but clearly its not expected given there is no minimum speed given. I thought these over hyped speed claims had been clamped down on by Ofcom but clearly there are gaping loop holes left showing the regulators are doing there job of protecting the industry not users as usual.
« Last post by Simon on Apr 30, 2024, 18:20:11 »
Just a quick update on mine - all seems stable and I'm getting an average of 107/22 on a 115/20 connection, so that's not bad. 

I also apparently have incredibly low latency, at a steady 5ms.
« Last post by Simon on Apr 30, 2024, 18:14:09 »
Is it even possible to get 550 upload speed?
« Last post by john7 on Apr 30, 2024, 17:00:41 »
I fallowd this thread with interest as we were migrating to cut the telephone costs.  One disappointment I have found is IDNet is now using the misleading speed estimates in there claims. I went for a 550 up and 550 down. Only to be told there is no speed guarantee with the up (I get under 100Mb) with a 200 guarantee for the down (not a very good one but as I am getting nearly 600 I can't complain at that). Its a disappointment that this old rather misspelling is still going on and even more that its IDNet doing it or must be knowingly passing on the speed misinformation (I have been told others using different providers going through the same fiber firm get the same disparity as I am getting so it must be known to be an unlikely up speed to all the firms selling the products).
Networking & Routers / Re: New UBOSS VOIP service in addition to CENTREX
« Last post by nowster on Apr 24, 2024, 23:21:16 »
IIRC BT have already trialled it (Bournemouth is an exchange which took part in the first trial).
That's because they've run out of numbers in that code and will have started to use 0 or 1 as the start of the local number, meaning the exchange can't tell if you're doing local dialling, dialling a short code (eg. 17070), or an STD code without applying a timeout.

eg. a number like 01202 123456 or 01202 012020.

There have been "shadow" numbers with local parts starting with 0 and 1 since the 1990s at least, eg. 0161-0xx xxxx, usually used as the physical destinations of 0800 or similar numbers.
« Last post by Simon on Apr 24, 2024, 20:34:20 »
So, I've been looking at the UBOSS service in more detail, and it seems from the information on IDNet, Call Blocking / Barring is not available, and neither is the option to withhold your number when calling.   Both of these functions are listed under the Centrix service, but not under UBOSS.  This is a bit of a concern as I have always relied on both of these features. 
« Last post by Postal on Apr 24, 2024, 09:19:44 »
Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?

That is probably going to happen on the existing landline network as well as the IP based services (for as long as that network is still there).  OfCOM published a paper in March 2022 (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/233745/Future-of-Numbering-Statement-on-geographic-numbering.pdf) signposting the route.  IIRC BT have already trialled it (Bournemouth is an exchange which took part in the first trial).
« Last post by Simon on Apr 23, 2024, 13:09:26 »
There are lots of telephony settings within the router which I could probably get myself in a total mess with. 
« Last post by nowster on Apr 23, 2024, 12:53:00 »
Presumably people calling you from within the same old STD code would now have to dial the whole number, instead of just the local number?
Depends where they're calling from. If they're still on a landline, local calling should still work. Londoners haven't got local calling (with 8 digit local numbers) into their heads anyway.

Calling out from VoIP depends on how the dialling rules are set up. It's possible to implement local calling as a mapping (eg. any 6 digit number that doesn't start with 0 or 1 gets expanded to the full number).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.