Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
So have you escaped to sunnier climes Postal?

Not really sunnier as we spent 4 nights on one of those big gin palaces that cruise the Rhine.  Had to fill in a multitude of forms and have hard copies or copies on the phone but only one was actually inspected and are now sitting locked in the house waiting for the results of the tests we had when we got off the Eurostar at St. Pancras.  A lot of hassle but glad we did it as we have been going stir-crazy while our CoVid has limited our horizons.
Half of our area lost power for the best part of a day this week. We were OK but coincidentally had no 4G coverage with two different providers for the duration. Was it a coincidence or do these masts take their power from the grid with no backup supply?
No need for a backup supply as people have a landline that doesn't need power. :evil:
Half of our area lost power for the best part of a day this week. We were OK but coincidentally had no 4G coverage with two different providers for the duration. Was it a coincidence or do these masts take their power from the grid with no backup supply?
I was not referring to the general public because they don't know about it.  I only found out because my son bought a new build property in London that was only kitted out for VOIP.  So have you escaped to sunnier climes Postal?  I've been away in the Canaries where the rain was warmer.  Very enjoyable all the same. 
Windows News & Discussion / Re: Windows 11
« Last post by Simon on Dec 10, 2021, 00:23:16 »
I do hate it when software developers force cosmetic changes that can't be reverted by the end user.  It's like them saying, "Well we like it this way so you'll have to put up with it," but I'm sure there are other reasons for it.
Windows News & Discussion / Re: Windows 11
« Last post by Postal on Dec 10, 2021, 00:02:47 »
I have no intention of installing it.  Windows 10 was supposed to last forever - what happened to that promise?  :dunno:

It took me 5 hours with Windows 11 before I gave up and reverted to Windows 10. The things that give me problems are basically cosmetic and not problems with the actual OS but are the sort of things that aggravate. For example, there is no longer a clickable option to change the taskbar icon size (and thus the amount of real estate grabbed by the taskbar). This can be fudged using a Registry tweak but selecting a smaller icon size for the taskbar leaves the notification area at the right hand end untweaked with the icons misaligned at the bottom of the task bar to the extent that some of the icons only show their top half. This includes the clock so that it is possible to read the time but the date is almost all off-screen. It is also impossible to show the seconds in the clock, only the hours and minutes. There was a Registry tweak in W10 to force the display of seconds but this is now deprecated. The deprecation also means that third party clocks like T-ClockEx will no longer work. That is not Microsoft's problem as they cannot be responsible for third-party software but it just makes the user-interface less friendly.

No idea why that functionality was removed but it means that I will be stopping in my comfort zone with W10 until the functionality is restored or W10 reaches end of life.
. . .we have all seen it coming for the past four years. . .

But that's the root of the problem.  Most people (even now) have no idea about what is coming.  We are currently away on holiday and at our dinner table tonight none of the other 4 guests were aware and two who lived in a mobile free area were horrified. They live in Rishi Sunak's constituency and planned to raise it with him which may mean there is a chance of getting a higher profile for the problem.
No use with no reception or masts down!
This is a worrying development but we have all seen it coming for the past four years.  It's the reason I bought myself a decent mobile phone in recent months.  3G is being phased out anyway.   :red:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.