Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Networking & Routers / Re: Inconsistent routing and performance
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Sep 15, 2021, 19:35:08 »
So it's not just me then! :)

I wish they would do whatever it is they are doing a couple of hours later on when I'm not working on a remote server.
« Last post by L2020 on Sep 15, 2021, 18:58:36 »
Over the last few months I've been seeing drops at random intervals (averaging about once a week) where the router maintains connection but the internet drops out then returns after about 2 minutes.  The ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor shows a red block while the internet connection is down.  This normally happens between 1:00 am and 2:00 am.  The stats do not show a re-sync and the up and down rates are unchanged.  I suspect this is connected with some sort of backhaul re-configuration as my latency to a web-site in the south of England will often jump between a figure of ~20ms and a figure of ~25ms as the drop and re-connect takes place (presumably depending on the backhaul selected).  I can live with the latency but the random drops without any warning are not really a customer-focussed event.  This wasn't what I was expecting when I signed up with IDNet and it is only inertia that is stopping me seeking a better solution.

The drops you are seeing is in the PPP session, and hence you notice the sync doesn't drop.  This is IDNet/Zen telling the router part of your modem/router to drop the PPP session and then your kit usually keeps attempting to reconnect until you are back on line again.  The latency changes are due to you getting a different route over Zen's network each time. I suspect every time someone connects it is a round robin assignment.  It wouldn't surprise me though, as many Zen customers are wise to the fact now, that if they keep dropping the PPP and reconnect you eventually get a good route, so over days and weeks people end up moving to the lower latency routes, which means the network becomes unbalanced so Zen kick a load of people off so they shuffle back up onto their other bits of the network, and the process repeats itself.

No this isn't customer focused at all, usually other ISPs where you pay more to obtain a business type connection like with IDNet, you would be told in advance of drops due to maintenance issues, but there is never anything about these drops in IDNets service status pages, they don't know about it either I suspect.  It's just rubbish Zen, and IDNet should not be claiming lowest latency network, consistency and reliability when their backhaul is nothing of the sort, and they obviously know it isn't as they didn't bother checking anything for me, just said that is how it is and nothing they can do.  Well they could always get a decent backhaul provider?

I'm gone in a couple of months.
« Last post by Postal on Sep 15, 2021, 18:02:24 »
Same here last two days

Over the last few months I've been seeing drops at random intervals (averaging about once a week) where the router maintains connection but the internet drops out then returns after about 2 minutes.  The ThinkBroadband Quality Monitor shows a red block while the internet connection is down.  This normally happens between 1:00 am and 2:00 am.  The stats do not show a re-sync and the up and down rates are unchanged.  I suspect this is connected with some sort of backhaul re-configuration as my latency to a web-site in the south of England will often jump between a figure of ~20ms and a figure of ~25ms as the drop and re-connect takes place (presumably depending on the backhaul selected).  I can live with the latency but the random drops without any warning are not really a customer-focussed event.  This wasn't what I was expecting when I signed up with IDNet and it is only inertia that is stopping me seeking a better solution.
« Last post by dobber on Sep 15, 2021, 09:49:54 »
Same here last two days

« Last post by L2020 on Sep 15, 2021, 08:31:55 »
My line dropped dead on 1.30am this morning. It came back after a couple of modem restarts. Looking at other BMQs I seem to be the only one.

Not the only one, I also had the same drop :'( I posted about this over in the Thinkbroadband forum as the last couple of days latency and jitter on the BQM graphs were showing some problem or congestion, so basically after managing just 7 days uptime since the last forced drop of PPP, Zen have needed to drop a load of PPP sessions again to try and load balance their congested network, I assume anyway.  There is never any warning or advanced notice of this work to drop sessions, which is poor given I purchased what I thought was business broadband.  I guess Zen just don't care and not sure why IDNet are using them. 

Luckily I'm on FTTP so the dropped session seems to reconnect itself without any issue and I'm not having to worry about the effect of rebooting modems to try and bring the session back, i.e. causing DLM to think there is a fault and slowing down the line speed.
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Sep 15, 2021, 01:41:32 »
My line dropped dead on 1.30am this morning. It came back after a couple of modem restarts. Looking at other BMQs I seem to be the only one.
IDNet Help / Re: Dangerous Email Warning
« Last post by Gary on Sep 13, 2021, 11:42:26 »
To date I have not received one (yet) just a few junk mails about T shirts which have been doing the rounds (never open an email you think is suspicious) and look at the use of language 'to avoid temporary blocked' is not good English! I do have my email filtering set pretty high I think its *** on the Bayesian filter. If the three people have been pwned at some point then their email can be spoofed pretty easily.

One of my IDNet ones was pwned by the same Adobe one as yours probably. I would suggest people check at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and make sure their passwords are very strong/Change them now and then too if new emails get pwned in dumps from hacked sites that people use. Try and use a throw away email account for each of the online shopping sites you use too if possible. Also block the dodgy domain with a rule in the idnet dashboard for the email email account getting those messages, that should stop stuff from that site hopefully.
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Sep 13, 2021, 07:44:55 »
Have you checked on "have i been pwned"?

I have and I have been, once through Adobe and once through vBulletin. However I still find it rather coincidental that three out of perhaps a dozen active members here have had the same email.
« Last post by robinc on Sep 13, 2021, 06:05:06 »
As long as you didn't enter any personal details and your PC is virus protected you probably don't have nothing to worry about.

I got another one today, exactly the same. My only concern is how the sender got hold of our email addresses. If it's an automated bot churning out random IDNet addresses it seems suspiciously on target.
Have you checked on "have i been pwned"?
« Last post by zappaDPJ on Sep 12, 2021, 23:56:25 »
Too late I clicked it . now what ? :-\

As long as you didn't enter any personal details and your PC is virus protected you probably don't have nothing to worry about.

I got another one today, exactly the same. My only concern is how the sender got hold of our email addresses. If it's an automated bot churning out random IDNet addresses it seems suspiciously on target.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.

luck