Main Menu

Recent posts

Networking & Routers / Re: Networking solution help
Last post by Simon - Jun 22, 2024, 13:24:47
Quote from: Bill on Jun 22, 2024, 12:27:50I don't know much about Mesh systems, but don't they rely on the devices having at least some degree of wireless contact with each other?

Indeed, so you have one Mesh device connected to the router.  The second one is, say, in the middle of the house and picks up the first one, which then boosts the signal to the third Mesh device, which could be upstairs, theoretically spreading the WiFi signal all around the property. 

If there is soundproofing in the studio environment, that would presumably present an additional challenge for any Wi-Fi signal to pass through.
Last post by Bill - Jun 22, 2024, 12:27:50
I don't know much about Mesh systems, but don't they rely on the devices having at least some degree of wireless contact with each other?

As I understood the OP, the studio isn't so much a dead zone as simply out of range of the router.
Last post by Simon - Jun 22, 2024, 10:36:11
Quote from: talos on Jun 22, 2024, 10:13:46Ive just installed a mesh wifi system  that seems to do what you want, gives me a full signal in every room
               I tried daisy chaining routers and it was useless .

I have a Mesh system as well.  The Powerline versions might work, but they all need to be on the same electrical circuit.  Not sure how effective the WiFi based systems would be if there's a dead zone in the studio.  Guess it depends what's blocking the signal?
Last post by talos - Jun 22, 2024, 10:13:46
Ive just installed a mesh wifi system  that seems to do what you want, gives me a full signal in every room
               I tried daisy chaining routers and it was useless .
Last post by Bill - Jun 22, 2024, 08:14:57
Quote from: robinc on Jun 22, 2024, 06:24:37Absolutely and definitely the only way to go.
Thanks for the emphatic endorsement- I've never used a WAP so wasn't 100% sure my answer was sensible :D

A question if I may- what does "10Gbps @ 500MHz" mean? The 10Gps is obvious, but I don't see the relevance of 500MHz ???
Last post by robinc - Jun 22, 2024, 06:24:37
Quote from: Bill on Jun 21, 2024, 15:30:05but can't you do what you want by running ethernet to the studio into a switch, then hanging a wireless access point on to it?
Absolutely and definitely the only way to go.
CAT 6a will give you 10Gbps @ 500MHz over the same distance.
Get Duct Grade cable, avoid tight/right angle bends by going through loft/ceiling voids if possible and unless you have the kit/skills get someone who knows what they're doing to fit the RJ45 connectors.
Last post by zappaDPJ - Jun 21, 2024, 16:22:32
Quote from: Bill on Jun 21, 2024, 15:30:05but can't you do what you want by running ethernet to the studio into a switch, then hanging a wireless access point on to it?

I don't know but I'll certainly look into it. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Last post by Bill - Jun 21, 2024, 15:30:05
I've never tried daisy-chaining routers, only switches (with no issues), but can't you do what you want by running ethernet to the studio into a switch, then hanging a wireless access point on to it?

Bear in mind that my understanding of these things is limited- my LAN works so I don't try to fix it  ;)
Networking & Routers / Networking solution help
Last post by zappaDPJ - Jun 21, 2024, 13:55:14
I'm in the process of converting an area of my property into a professional grade recording studio. This means building rooms within rooms to isolate all the sound (up to 120 dB) produced in the studio. It also means I've created a WiFi dead zone.

As we are approaching the cabling stage I need to get the Internet and WiFi into the studio and it needs to be robust. My current Internet (FTTP) comes into the house a fair distance away from the studio area.

I'm really just wondering if anyone has ever attempted to daisy chain routers and if this is the best solution. The distance from my current router to the studio is within the 100 meter standard for Cat6.
IDNet Help / Re: Number redirection - what ...
Last post by zappaDPJ - Jun 19, 2024, 22:13:34
Quote from: nowster on Jun 19, 2024, 21:22:49I've heard reports that some are doing CGNAT with IPv4 and may not offer IPv6 either.

That's certainly something I wouldn't want.