Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
IDNet Help / Re: Centrex vs UBOSS
« Last post by krysia on Today at 19:14:24 »
Yes, we should probably switch sooner rather than later, as both Centrex and UBOSS are cheaper than our present package. I suppose there's a part of me that worries digital won't work . . . but that's a function of being older!
IDNet Help / Re: Centrex vs UBOSS
« Last post by Simon on Today at 18:01:56 »
I've not switched yet, but as I understand it, Centrix is more for business users, so may have more bells and whistles, extra lines, etc, whereas UBOSS is aimed at home users. 

I can't really think of a reason not to switch now I have the drama of the FTTP installation over with, especially given it would work out cheaper than my current phone package with IDNet. 

The only downside, of course, is the loss of service should there be a power cut, but if you have cordless DECT phones, than they wouldn't work in a power cut anyway, so that's a bit of a moot point in my circumstances, but I can understand the concern for those that may use a Careline, or other equipment that relies on a PSTN line.
IDNet Help / Centrex vs UBOSS
« Last post by krysia on Today at 15:22:52 »
We jsut switched from FTTC to FTTP and will eventually be switching our landline to digital.  Our telephone service is already with IDNet on the standard PSTN : Anytime Plus package, which we're happy with.  It looks like the Centrex package is the same as our present one, but the UBOSS package may suit us too.  What's the real difference between them? 
IDNet Help / Re: Internet stopped, routers all reset on their own
« Last post by armadillo on Yesterday at 17:47:48 »
Quite a pain
Just a thought....does your router not have a facility to save all your settings to a config file from which you could restore if this happens again? I have several versions of saved config for mine and it is just a few clicks to restore if I mess something up.
IDNet Help / Re: FTTP New Installation Process
« Last post by armadillo on Yesterday at 17:41:13 »
...AFAIK the head-end exchanges are normally existing exchanges as they already have most of the kit required.  There will be a lot of space in those buildings once the exiting copper-based infrastructure is no longer required so there may well be a business decision to move to different premises once the copper is done but that is many years away yet.
That makes good sense. My local exchange is a decent brick building on a small industrial estate so I cannot see that they would move the head-end exchange anywhere else. I can imagine they might reconsider if an exchange were in a high-business-rate area though.
« Last post by Simon on Yesterday at 11:40:19 »
Thanks for the update - glad you got it sorted in the end. 
« Last post by shorn on Yesterday at 11:33:46 »
To update on this, after many, many attempts are connecting the router again, it finally seemed to connect to the internet. I managed to set up all four routers/points using the same network name and password as was used previously and every appears to be up and working again.

Quite a pain and I guess I'll be on the lookout for an alternative system. 
« Last post by Bill on May 12, 2024, 08:53:55 »
Shouldn't that be fora for the pedantic?   ;) ;D

I've seen quite a bit of argumentdiscussion about this over the years- many say that if you're speaking Latin then the plural of forum is fora, if you're using English it's forums.

I'm inclined to agree  ;D
« Last post by Postal on May 12, 2024, 08:46:05 »

Like it.
« Last post by Simon on May 11, 2024, 10:54:22 »
As an amateur in these matters who has picked up what knowledge I have from various groups and forums (fora the pedantic) around the internet, AFAIK the head-end exchanges are normally existing exchanges as they already have most of the kit required.  There will be a lot of space in those buildings once the exiting copper-based infrastructure is no longer required so there may well be a business decision to move to different premises once the copper is done but that is many years away yet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.