Author Topic: Windows 10 Upgrade  (Read 7941 times)

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
Re: Windows 10 Upgrade
« Reply #25 on: Jul 05, 2016, 10:48:17 »
Yeah... Hmmm. I'll be doing a minor upgrade to this PC (old AMD 4 core to 6 core) at some time (actually, I could do it now... BRB :P), the thing limiting me from making a new PC, is I honestly don't want to change OS.

Linux is good and does everything I want. It does however loose some of my Windows software (Google Sketchup etc). That with drivers and different controls (no windows key or alt key use as more Mac like shortcuts :( ), mean I'm reluctant to make a permanent switch.

However, Windows 10? I have not got time for that, they can get lost.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2016, 20:12:16 »
I could get to the windows 10 upgrade on the PC I'm reconditioning/cleaning up... if only Win8 would update. It's been 6 hours, and on 15%  :facepalm:

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:15:43 »
It did update!  ;D

But then it gave me that new "Warning, the free Windows 10 offer soon expires, older windows are not secure and have no security updates*! Update now (or cancel)". With one little problem, as the PC was left just to update, I only had my spare keyboard plugged in. My mouse is being used on the laptop. And did MS allow keyboard shortcuts, you know, that they allow in every single app/program/OS they ever made? No. So I just gave up and went to bed.

This morning I'm going to install 8.1, and image the disk so if the Win 10 deletes the recovery partition (It's been known to  :slap:) I can still restore to 8 should any drivers fail.

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2016, 20:13:50 »
Less than a month to go before the big Windows 10 update and that is the future so why stay in the past.  >:D
Mr Music Man.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2016, 15:33:09 »
How am I staying in the past? That is one of the most... I'm not even replying.  ;)

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2016, 18:03:56 »
Quote from: Douglas Adams: Restaurant at the End of the Universe
One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem with changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually travelling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later additions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2016, 22:59:54 »
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline gizmo71

• Master Netter
  • Currum auriga quasi furtivum
    • Gizmo's Gazebo
« Reply #32 on: Jul 23, 2016, 10:57:23 »
About to convert my last remaining pre-10 box. It's a virtual machine so if it all goes horribly wrong I can always just roll it back. :fingers:
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Offline Den

• Forum Star
« Reply #33 on: Jul 27, 2016, 18:52:48 »
Next week is the big date for Windows 10 updates, Redstone will arrive.  8-)
Mr Music Man.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #34 on: Jul 27, 2016, 19:34:32 »
Gawd.   :bawl:
Simon.
--

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2016, 13:27:45 »
While Windows 10 Anniversary Update doesn't officially go live until 2 August 2016, what seems to be essentially the finished patch - build 14393.5 - is now available to "Fast Ring" members of the Windows Insider programme.

It's on Windows Update as KB3176927, for those interested.

The Windows 10 Feedback Hub says the update offers "improved reliability and performance of Microsoft Edge with AdBlock and LastPass extensions enabled".

Edge needs all the help it can get to run at anything even close to an acceptable level on a mid-tier machine, so this is potentially great news.

End users will also be pleased to hear that the extensions "should continue to work" after installing other extension updates from the Windows Store.

Meanwhile, crippling battery issues with portable Windows 10 devices are also being addressed in 14393.5, with the promise that Microsoft has "fixed an issue" in which "runaway CPU processes" were causing battery drain while devices were idle.

"We also fixed a battery life issue due to the proximity sensor always running on some devices", it states, vaguely.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update now available for Insider programme Fast Ring
Update 14393.5 is officially here, but only for the privileged

The update also fixes flaws that prevented some Store apps from launching "due to a licensing issue".

Anyway, if you use Windows Update and aren't yet upset by it, you'll be pleased to know that issues with systems utilising Connected Standby (formerly InstantGo - the smartphone-like power management setup Windows 8 brought to the table) not running Windows Update are now fixed - so way more updates for you.

Further fixes include removing broken Search boxes in Store apps, and an issue where "keyboard input on some Windows tablet devices would not rotate to landscape normally".

We're actually not entirely sure what that last one means, but there's still plenty of times our old Surface Pro boots with the screen completely upside down, so reorientation generally may still be an issue.

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2466001/windows-10-anniversary-update-now-available-for-insider-programme-fast-ring
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #36 on: Jul 30, 2016, 10:23:35 »
They also forced the "allow apps to install on Microsoft command" option for apps on both Home and Pro Win 10. So now we get forced installs of Candy Crush and Cut the Rope. :/  :facepalm: :)x

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #37 on: Jul 30, 2016, 22:32:22 »
After a couple of initial bugs, I'm quite happy running Win 10 Pro I have to say.

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #38 on: Aug 04, 2016, 09:11:37 »
The anniversary update is causing machines to freeze for up to 2 minutes, there doesn't appear to be a fix at present http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2466959/windows-10-anniversary-update-causing-crashing-system-freezes-general-unpleasantness-say-users
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Den

• Forum Star
« Reply #39 on: Aug 04, 2016, 09:38:05 »
Upgraded both my computers to the new Windows 10 (update) and I must admit it's superb. much faster and smoother.  ;D
Mr Music Man.

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #40 on: Aug 04, 2016, 09:48:36 »
I upgraded 3 and all of them freeze. Rolling them back today, the only common theme in the 3 PC's is that they all boot from Samsung SSD's, apart from that they are 2 different models of laptop and a home assembled PC.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2016, 10:27:38 by Glenn »
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #42 on: Aug 04, 2016, 11:40:44 »
This isn't good, given that the upgrade is automatic and you don't get any choice about having it.  >:(
Simon.
--

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #43 on: Aug 04, 2016, 11:55:03 »
Not sure if it's available in the Home edition, but in Pro you can defer updates; Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Updates > Advanced Options
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Aug 04, 2016, 14:22:02 »
I'll be looking at that tonight, Glenn. I hope the option is on 'Home' edition given my new laptop has a Samsung SSD I'd rather wait and not take a risk upgrading yet.
Lance
_____

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #45 on: Aug 04, 2016, 14:54:00 »
Lance, I don't think it is linked to the Samsung SSD's, this from the link above seems to be working for some people;

Update 12: Okay guys, just woke up to check my inbox. A few potential fixes have surfaced, but still not one consistent solution. It seems this update brought many many bugs with similar outcomes. Anyway, just in case you want to try your luck:

u/Dooth said changing the location of Documents, Pictures, etc. back to C:/ solved his crashing. More users repored that changing the App install location back to system drive solved their freezing issues. These might not be possible for some SSD users with limited space on their system drive.

u/skddanny advises to disable AppXsvc in regedit in safe mode, find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AppXSvc, set the value for Start as 4 and restart to normal mode. More users confirmed this. For one user it didn't work. I advise you try it if you haven't rolled back yet. WARNING: One user reported a BSOD in 90s after applying the tweak. Could be unrelated, could be not.
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #46 on: Aug 04, 2016, 20:42:27 »
Not sure if it's available in the Home edition, but in Pro you can defer updates; Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Updates > Advanced Options

Done.  It seemed to have just started downloading the updates, but it was at 0%, so hopefully I've stopped it in time.
Simon.
--

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: Aug 04, 2016, 22:06:36 »
I can't see the option on mine :(
Lance
_____

Offline Den

• Forum Star
« Reply #48 on: Aug 04, 2016, 22:13:07 »
On reading all the above, all I can say is that either I'm a lucky sod or I'm doing something different to everyone else. W10 is running so well on both machines.  :)
Mr Music Man.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Aug 05, 2016, 16:09:46 »
No problems here on any PCs. I'm running version 1511 (OS Build 10586.494) on this PC and Windows 10 insists there are no updates available for me :thumb: Being last in the queue sometimes pays dividends it seems ;D
zap
--------------------

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.