Author Topic: Sky Fibre contract finished, thinking of returning.  (Read 2125 times)

Offline shorn

• Full Netter
Sky Fibre contract finished, thinking of returning.
« on: Nov 05, 2015, 10:10:31 »
Hi all,

I had IDnet Fibre back when it was very first introduced. After a couple of years I moved to Sky Fibre when it launched in the area, purely based on price. £10 a month.

Since leaving I've not been overly impressed with Sky Fibre, I seem to get a lot more fluctuation that what I did when I was with IDnet.

So my contract is up and I'm looking at options again.

I basically could stay with Sky, or move to either BT or back to IDnet.

I'd be looking at the 500gb Fibre Pro Plus and paying the extra for Traffic Priority.

I have no TV commitments to factor in at all, as everything we watch is streamed so I'm not swayed by full tv/fibre combos.

Just wondering if people think ill get a better quality of service from IDnet over BT/Sky, or am I'm think back with rose tinted glasses?

Cheers.

Offline Bill

• Netter Nutter
  • Older and wiser.... yeah, right.
    • Gallery
Re: Sky Fibre contract finished, thinking of returning.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2015, 14:01:31 »
I've no direct experience of either Sky or BT so can only go by what I see over on the thinkbroadband.com forums.

On that basis, if I leave IDNet it will either be for dire financial reasons (so probably to Plusnet) or for some other reason to AAISP. So you can guess what my choice would be ;)
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2015, 16:06:41 »
I always found Idnet to be superb but when the chance cane for Fibre Broadband I'm afraid the call of BT Infinity won me over because of the cost being so less. My experience with BT has been excellent and I can't fault them so the choice is yours.  ;)
Mr Music Man.

Offline tehidyman

• Super Netter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2015, 16:56:04 »
I have been with BT fibre for over two years. My connection has been stable and consistent. Have had no broadband problems so can't comment on customer service. I changed from HH3 to HH5 to reduce desktop clutter and I get good "wireless" in all rooms. My initial decision to go to BT fibre was based on cost v IDnet.

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2015, 18:15:33 »
I could have moved away from IDNet, but stayed, for my needs they are great, I like getting though to the same people at CS I like the fact that I don't queue, or have to deal with scripted off shore CS which frankly with my mothers BT setup when there were issues made me tear my hair out, also I don't need BT TV or sports so I'm happy where I am. IDNet has better peer connection points too, but BT has all you can eat and the prices are lower but for gaming IDNets latency for me is better than my neighbour next door on BT. I don't need all you can eat yet, i never go over my 200GB a month, when I do I will move but till then I get a small friendly ISP that pretty much ticks along and does what it wants. It all depends on what you need. Personally I would say there is no need for priority traffic, that's overkill and 500GB is a huge amount of data. Do you really need half a terabyte? 

Offline shorn

• Full Netter
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2015, 18:57:03 »
Thank you for the responses, really good to get others views. With regards to the last point, 500gb does seem a lot but we do literally stream everything we watch. Netflix / Now TV / ITunes etc. As Sky is unlimited they offer no usage stats so I have no idea how much we are using, but I wouldn't want to risk it being under 200Gb. I guess we could always upgrade if need be.

I'm leaning more toward BT or Idnet. The plus points of IDnet are that I've used them before and had no complaints. The plus points of BT is the lower price, together with the HH5 that offers ac wifi and means I could lose two devices (modem & AirPort Extreme) for one.

Going to wait and see what Sky announce on the 18th just in case that sways me, but still appreciate any further input/experiences/suggestions.

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:23:20 »
Thank you for the responses, really good to get others views. With regards to the last point, 500gb does seem a lot but we do literally stream everything we watch. Netflix / Now TV / ITunes etc. As Sky is unlimited they offer no usage stats so I have no idea how much we are using, but I wouldn't want to risk it being under 200Gb. I guess we could always upgrade if need be.
The HH5 is quite limited as a router goes if you use so many streaming services you would be better off with a router that has dynamic QOS which priorities on the fly and maybe smart connect so each device ends up on the best band for its needs as signal strengths vary across the home.

Offline shorn

• Full Netter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2015, 16:57:28 »
The HH5 is quite limited as a router goes if you use so many streaming services you would be better off with a router that has dynamic QOS which priorities on the fly and maybe smart connect so each device ends up on the best band for its needs as signal strengths vary across the home.

Thanks Gary, any suggestions?

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.