Author Topic: IOS9  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
IOS9
« on: Sep 16, 2015, 18:55:06 »
I see it's out, although I'm currently in Portugal it's seems to be downloading OK , not a big update on the iPad at just under 1Gb.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: IOS9
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2015, 20:25:24 »
Yes, one of the things that's been said is that it's not a mega-download like iOS 8 was.  Apparently, it will also temporarily remove apps to make room for the installation, then reinstall them again, to save people having to dump loads of stuff off their phones to carry out the upgrade.
Simon.
--

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2015, 20:37:59 »
The last update bricked my iPad for the second time. I'm a little hesitant about applying another one. In some ways I'm glad to be still using an iPhone 4 which is now abandoned in terms of updates.
zap
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2015, 20:54:06 »
The 4S is getting it.  But iOS 8 ran like a three legged pig on that, at least when it first came out, so I hate to think what this one will be like.  Not that I'm that worried as I'm still with the HTC.  ;D
Simon.
--

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2015, 21:48:55 »
1Gb, not big!
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2015, 22:59:59 »
I installed it earlier on my iPhone 6 Plus (@1.2Gb) and my 3rd gen iPad (@ just under 1gb). Not had any issues so far!
Lance
_____

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2015, 09:28:40 »
iOS 9.0.2 is buggy on my new iPhone 6s but fine on my iPad Air 2, odd considering both have 2GB ram. I think 9.1 which has to be out for the launch of the ipad pro will sort some of the lag out. The split view on the Air 2 is useful though. Looks like I'll be getting a new 27" Retina iMac as well now the Skylake processors are in them.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2015, 10:12:46 »
I seem to be doing better with iOS9 on my nearly 3 year old iPad than I did with iOS 8, quite enjoying using it again. Incidentally I swapped the HDD on my 2010 MBP for an OWC SDD and it's transformed the machine. Wondering whether to do the same on the 2009 iMac which I don't use very often but apart from being somewhat slow by today's standards is still a very functional machine, it's bit more involved than on the laptop but looks entirely possible. It seems to be a useful way of prolonging the lifespan of perfectly functional machines.
Steve
------------

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2015, 14:14:08 »
My iMac is showing its age now, and to be honest I could happily use a 4K 27" iMac as a second TV for netflix etc rather than spending that cash on a 4K TV as i'm quite happy with my TV and its lack of Android nightmarish bugs that the Sony's have this year (the 172  page thread about the bugs and crashing TV's and losing inputs etc is quite scary) or the bugs that Tizen has with Samsungs curved wallet opening gizmos does not inspire confidence. I would like a dumb TV that I can make smarter if anything in the future by plugging in chromecast or Amazon Firetick 2, not an OS that probably wont get updated much over a year old.

iOS9 seems rushed again tbh but all software is now I think, and its caused battery issues for some, but it runs really well on my Air 2 and I'm happy using that, but tbh I was with iOS 8.4.1. The 3D touch on the 6s is really useful and battery life is great, its and made my old 5s look slow and prehistoric. I went with the 128GB version as taking 4K video eats alot of space. Also I can see the bigger screen without my glasses, an added bonus  ;D

At 5 years old my iMac has done very well but El Capitan is making it show its age more, and the screen is to small, and missing out on stuff like handover etc because its Bluetooth 2.0 not Bluetooth 4.0 bugs me. I can still sell it for a reasonable amount and then settle back and enjoy the new machine, which will run metal too, whereas the older macs don't. The temptation though to get the 1TB SSD is very high I have to admit over the 2TB Fusion drive.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2015, 14:20:20 by Gary »

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2015, 20:38:09 »
I'm almost certain you'd get a better screen (assuming quality control ;) ) from the iMac too. However, only 27 inch so not going up on the wall in the living room. :P
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Simon.
--

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2015, 13:10:22 »
I've not got to 9.1 yet, having decided to keep the pre historic 24inch iMac, I swapped the HDD yesterday for an SSD, a fairly involved swap but I managed with no disasters and all is very well indeed, it's back to being a fairly capable machine for our household needs. Whilst a new one was tempting , I no longer have an iPhone or require 4K video capabilies.

Anyway having done a fresh install instead of copying a clone across to the SSD we got the first update to El Capitan later that day , so 9.1 on the iPad can wait. I suspect it's not long before the piggy bank gets emptied again but I'm trying to put it off for another couple of years.
Steve
------------

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2015, 13:34:13 »
Thanks Simon. Downloaded and installed and so far no issues!
Lance
_____

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2015, 19:19:16 »
Just a heads up - I've no idea if this is a common issue but I've just had my cousin on who couldn't receive texts from some people following the 9.1 update, and it turns out that it seemed to have turned her iMessage off. 
Simon.
--

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2015, 22:11:08 »
No change in my iPhone. iMessage still on.
Lance
_____

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2015, 22:38:31 »
Just as an experiment, I've upgraded my old 4S.  I don't use it any more, except as an alarm clock, but the upgrade seemed to go OK, and I was curious to see what the differences would be.  Can't really say I've noticed anything radical, but strangely, I found iMessage turned ON after the upgrade, when it was off before.  So, something slightly odd going on there.   
Simon.
--

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2015, 08:37:33 »
9.1 installed here, a few changes on the 6s and yet more emojis and support for unicode 8. The new iMac arrived very fast and a great screen. 4.0Ghz i7 Turbo boost to 4.2Ghz, 2TB Fusion drive as standard (128GB SSD on the larger drives now 32GB on smaller) 16GB ram and a AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB memory. The screen is glorious, watching even you tune 4K streams is gob smacking.  ;D My early birthday present to myself.

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2015, 08:43:33 »
I'm almost certain you'd get a better screen (assuming quality control ;) ) from the iMac too. However, only 27 inch so not going up on the wall in the living room. :P
Considering they are still bickering over the 4K standards and some TV's bought now may not cut it I'm happy and it shows how my old iMac was getting very slow and buggy. The screen is big enough to watch a film quite happily in my study. Screen quality and uniformity is very good with the new P3 colour gamut its much better than the older sRGB on the 2014 model.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.