Author Topic: FAQs: Common issues, how to deal with them, how to get advice quickly  (Read 65109 times)

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
As widely acknowledged and reported last week we, together with a number of other UK-based ISPs, suffered performance issues which were caused by large numbers of end users watching the Olympic games using the BBC iPlayer.

Now the games have finished, this is no longer a potential factor on broadband performance on the whole.

If  you feel you are receiving a diminished service, so that you can help us help you, please follow this standard procedure:

1. Run A BT speedtest

There are a multitude of speedtest websites out there, each with varying degrees of information and validity. Whilst these sites do give a good general idea of what speeds you're receiving they are not as accurate as the BT speedtester. Other speedtesters are often hosted on webservers that are also hosting busy websites, which naturally adds latency to the result overall. The servers can also be located in other countries, which can also lead to a slower result.

The most important piece of information the BT speedtester (http://speedtester.bt.com/) gives is the IP profile. No other speedtest gives this information, and it is vital to diagnosing and resolving any speed related DSL issue.

Because the speedtest is based in Java, it can sometimes have problems running for certain browsers and computers. If you encounter any problems getting the speedtest to load or run correctly, ensure you have the latest version of your web-browser installed.

Download the latest version of java here;
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Try using an alternate web browser if all of the above doesn't work for you, such as Firefox.

Once you've loaded the speedtest, it will first ask for your phone number. This is the phone number your adsl line is installed on, you will then be asked for your broadband username, after this, the test will run, though be patient, it can take some time to get through the first two steps.

If you don't know your username, please either email support@idnet.net or give us a call on 08000 267 237.

The speedtest, if successful, will only run once every three hours. So that we can take a look at your line in general, ideally we would like 3 speedtest results staggered over a day.

Once you have the results, paste them into an email to us here at support.

2. Connect to the test port of the master socket.

The test port of the master socket within your home is the “purest” possible connection from your home to the broadband exchange. When you remove the faceplate, this disconnects all standard telephone points in your home. This eliminates your internal wiring from the loop, which eliminates it as a cause.
Connect your modem/router to this port, ideally with an alternate filter. Repeat the BT speedtest.

By taking this step, we can be much more happy that there are no local factors bringing your speed down.
Should an openreach engineer ever have to visit to investigate, this is the procedure he would follow, so it is ideal if we get this verified prior to a visit.

Not everyone has a modern-style master socket with the test port, which we appreciate. If this is the case for you, perform the above test with just your broadband plugged in (no phones, house alarms, sky digital etc.) with an alternate filter.

If you are suffering from high pings or packet loss, please set your router to allow incoming pings.
Perform traceroutes and ping tests to the servers you're getting issues on and record the results.

Compile all of this information into an email, in plain text and send it support@idnet.net.

Include general information as to when the problem started and if it coincided with anything you noticed locally. e.g. BT vans in the local area working on overhead cabling.

Following the above steps as closely as you possibly can will help us to locate and resolve your issue all the more efficiently. This will ultimately assist us in delivering a consistent and reliable service to you.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011, 09:44:35 by Rik »
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline RonGodwin

• New Netter
You can get stats for the Belkin N1 router - with a little simple tinkering:

Here's how ...

1) Go to http://192.168.2.1/wukongjiuwo.html

2) leave password blank

3) Click submit

4) Ignore everything on this page except the blank box to the left of the Enter button

5) insert this into the box: adslctl info --stats

6) stats come up pronto!

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
I'll put this in the forum FAQ if I may, Ron?
Rik
--------------------

Offline RonGodwin

• New Netter
Sure, Rik.

I'll put this in the forum FAQ if I may, Ron?

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
If you are encountering slow throughput, or high pings, please carry out the following diagnostic procedures before contacting support:

For Windows XP:

1 ) Boot to safe mode with network support

2 ) Hit Start > Run > Type CMD and press <enter>

3 ) Type netstat -b and press <enter>

4 ) Type ping www.idnet.net and press <enter>

5 ) Type tracert www.idnet.net and press <enter>

6 ) Right-click the title bar of the window, select Edit > Select all and press <enter>

7 ) Paste those results into an email to support@idnet.net, adding information about date and time,
     and identifying your router make and model, together with either your IP address or your ADSL phone number.

8 ) Run a BT speed test and paste the results into the email.

By all means add further pings/tracerts to other servers.

For Windows 7 (thanks to Glenn for this):

1 ) Boot to safe mode

2 ) Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt select run as administrator

3 ) Type netstat -b and press <enter>

4 ) Type ping www.idnet.net and press <enter>

5 ) Type tracert www.idnet.net and press <enter>

6 ) Right-click the title bar of the window, select Edit > Select all and press <enter>

7 ) Paste those results into an email to support@idnet.net, adding information about date and time,
     and identifying your router make and model, together with either your IP address or your ADSL phone number.

8 ) Run a BT speed test and paste the results into the email.

On a Mac (thanks to Azy for this):

go to finder/Applications/Utility/Network Utility

select ping tab, type www.idnet.net and enter

copy and paste

then select tracert tab, type www.idnet.net and enter

copy and paste

On a 2700HGV router with v6 firmware, thus bypassing the computer setup (thanks to Alan for this):

Anyone using a 2700HGV router with V6 firmware can do the ping and tracert from the router itself and know that your pc setup is not affecting the results.

this link takes you straight to the I.P. Utilities page
Rik
--------------------

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter

EDIT - Beaten to it by esh but I guess it may come in handy in the future.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010, 14:53:43 by .Griff. »

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
With the advent of FTTC as a 'black box' technology, there's little the user can do in the way of diagnostics. In fact, the only thing you can do is to bypass your router and connect directly to the modem via a PPoE connection.

These two links, courtesy of Glenn, will guide you through the process for Windows. If anyone wants to add the Mac or *nix equivalent, please PM me with the details. :)

XP or Vista onwards.

From Steve, the Mac method. :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 18:18:58 by Rik »
Rik
--------------------

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter
How do I create a PPPoE connection from my PC? (Walkthrough Guide)
« Reply #32 on: Jun 09, 2011, 18:00:54 »
This guide is intended to show you how to create a direct wired connection from your PC to the Openreach VDSL2 modem without the need for a router. It is primarily intended for problem solving purposes where any problem may be suspected with your router.

Firstly you will need your Idnet broadband settings which can be found under the "settings" section of your Idnet portal. To find these simply visit https://www.idnet.net/ and login to your account. The settings section can be found on the left hand side -

You will need to make a note of your "Username" and "Password" and I would recommend that you write these down just in case you make a mistake at any point and can no longer access the Idnet portal.

At this point if you are still connected to the Openreach modem via a router you should either disconnect the wireless connection and/or remove the ethernet cable from your PC to the router and instead plug it directly into the "LAN 1" port on the modem. To clarify you should simply have a single ethernet cable from the NIC interface on your PC going into the "LAN1" port on the modem.

Next you will need to access the "Network and Sharing Center" within Windows. This is easily done via "Control Panel". Once in "Network and Sharing Center" you need to click on "Set up a new connection or network" -

Select "Connect to the Internet" and press "Next" -

When asked "How do you want to connect?" select "Broadband PPPoE" (This may be the only selection available anyway)

Now enter the Idnet username and password you wrote down earlier, assign a name for the connection and press "Connect" -

It will then verify the username and password -

If the username and password details you entered were correct then a few seconds later you should see a confirmation message that the PPPoE connection was successful -

You can now perform any specific tests you want such as the BT Speedtester without any concern that a faulty router may be affecting the results.

(Note - This guide is intended for Windows 7 users but the information within is still applicable to Windows Vista users)

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
 :thumb: :karma:
Steve
------------

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
And another.  :karmic:
zap
--------------------

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
Three. :)
Rik
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Forth!  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
Firth? ;D
Rik
--------------------

Offline Ray

• Administrator
 And another, :karmic:
Ray
--------------------

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.