Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Thanks everyone. I'll speak again with IDNet as there has to be some way to resolve it. It's annoying to be paying for a land line and broadband to find on wet days, which there are a lot of here, I can hardly use either. Gary, it's always been reported as a telephone fault.
My parents' line has the opposite problem. It's usually fine on wet days and marginal on dry ones.
Thanks everyone. I'll speak again with IDNet as there has to be some way to resolve it. It's annoying to be paying for a land line and broadband to find on wet days, which there are a lot of here, I can hardly use either. Gary, it's always been reported as a telephone fault.
In the past, with friends, the fault has been at the box/pole. So (I assume) fibre would not fix it. However, one had a fault that was all the way to the exchange, and I also had one last year at the exchange that needs a "lift and shift". Those kind of faults could be fixed by swapping to fibre, but that is more expensive than getting someone to find the real fault!
Sounds like a high resistance fault, idnet should be able to test your line and find this, battery faults can show up to but they don't effect broadband speeds. I had one fixed and lost 10Mbps because they just swap the pair over. If its a HR fault and it sound like it is it needs to be fixed no matter what. Don't report it as a broadband fault, report it as a telephone fault.
I've been having similar problems and conversations with support over a relative's line. From what I can gather fibre is unlikely to provide an answer. It certainly didn't for me when I also had a low quality line that dropped out at the merest hint of rain. I did eventually get that fixed when Openreach finally agreed to renew the (drop) cable from the pole into my property.

The only alternative option I can suggest is cable if that's available in your area.
Hi folks, looking for some help, if possible.

Been a telephone and broadband (ADSL) customer for many with years with IDNet. The telephone wiring to the house is old and neighbours and myself suffer from crackly phone lines especially after heavy rain. Broadband speeds here are around 4.5mb, when the crackling begins it drops to around 1mb.

IDNet have been great, I’d an engineer visit recently, and he spent a good few ours up the telegraph pole which serves all of us in this street. He seemed to get it fixed, said there was water damage and for 3 months all was well. Last week, torrential rain really battered us and once again the crackling is back and speed is crawling on broadband.

I thought perhaps if I moved on to fibre that would solve the problem but a good while ago IDNet told me it comes into my home on the same wires. There is no G4 and a very poor G3 signal here so broadband without a landline isn’t possible.

Can anyone tell me if fibre broadband can be brought into my home any another way? There is a cabinet closeby and I wondered if there could be some kind of direct or alternative wire system? Apologies, an oldie here now and cannot keep up with technology but the frustration of this is driving me nuts and I’ve developed a heavy rain/red router light syndrome!
Other manufacturers / Re: Billion-8800NL puzzle
« Last post by Technical Ben on Aug 08, 2017, 10:30:19 »
IIRC most routers will change channels automatically if they get congestion/interference. But I'd assume it has a setting somewhere.
« Last post by mungo on Aug 07, 2017, 17:42:37 »
It's the gremlin season don't you know?  ;)
« Last post by dudwell on Aug 07, 2017, 11:05:59 »
Aargh! Posted too soon, sorry! :blush:

I shut down everything then connected with ethernet cable, rebooted and was then able to enter router pages to set it back on channel 6. Still a bit puzzled why it should have wandered off 6 without instruction though.
Other manufacturers / Billion-8800NL puzzle
« Last post by dudwell on Aug 07, 2017, 10:40:23 »
For many months I have been using wireless channel 6 in splendid isolation while 8 neighbours are all on 1 and 11 (four on each). Yesterday I discovered that without any instruction from me my IDNet-supplied Billion-8800NL has changed to channel 1. No problem I thought, I can get into the router pages by entering 192.168.1.254:8888 and change it back to 6. Unfortunately, though this has worked previously, now I get  “This site can't be reached”,

Any thoughts welcomed on what has altered and how to proceed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.

luck