Author Topic: Streaming problems  (Read 755 times)

Offline Foddy

• New Netter
Streaming problems
« on: Dec 11, 2017, 21:30:22 »
Hi,

I've been having a lot of problems the past few weeks streaming to my Apple TV. Netflix, Amazon, etc. It's driving me nuts as the quality drops down to something almost unwatchable, which is crazy since I should have the bandwidth for 4K.

The Apple TV is wired directly to my firewall, so no problem there. From my laptop I'm currently getting about 16Mbps when I normally achieve 75Mbps+.

I did notice that from the thinkbroadband graph I'm seeing a fair amount of packet loss in the evenings:

It's not just the evenings, no one was in the house today between 8am and 6pm & the idnet graph shows no traffic between 8am and 2pm (there was a small peak at 3pm - 40MB uploaded, I've no idea what).

I've reset everything & this hasn't helped.

I've attached the stats from my modem (HG612) which has the latest firmware - it's been up for 40 days. I'm pretty sure the HEC errors for upload is just reading wrong (It's 0xfffffffa in hex). To me, it all looks OK, but I'm no expert.

There is, I realise, a chance that it's my firewall, but it doesn't feel like it. I could try getting a PPPoE session running directly on my mac, but need to take a day off work to try that(!)

I've always had great bandwidth from idnet, but I realise that there is contention in the network - am I expecting too much? Should I be considering traffic priority?

Does anyone have any advice about what to look at next? Is there anywhere you can get an idea of expected contention?

Thanks!

Offline MajorCrocks

• New Netter
Re: Streaming problems
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2018, 19:50:49 »
Oddly enough, I've got streaming problems on NowTV only.

Netflix, YouTube, Twitch, Amazon are all top notch fine!

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.