Author Topic: Switching mobile provider  (Read 2000 times)

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
Switching mobile provider
« on: Nov 28, 2017, 17:38:08 »
Has anyone switched mobile provider recently? I need to do it because the costs and coverage of my current provider are no longer acceptable. I have to do it on three numbers which will be a pay monthly to pay monthly move, like for like switch.

It's the downtime I'm concerned about plus I need to make the switch during a particular week. I'm not concerned if I have to pay both providers for a overlap. Is this possible to do without any real downtime?
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: Switching mobile provider
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2017, 18:28:44 »
Have you tried negotiating with your current provider?  I threatened to leave mine several years ago, and they immediately offered me a deal I would have been silly to turn down.  I have always been with O2, so can't advise on how long porting a number takes. 
Simon.
--

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2017, 19:11:09 »
None of their current plans (I'm with Tesco/O2) come anywhere near what Three Mobile are currently offering but I suppose I can ask.
zap
--------------------

Offline MisterW

• Grand Netter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2017, 19:26:13 »
Porting a number only happens on weekdays and SHOULD take 24 hrs from start to finish. You're likely to to out if service for a couple of hours during the port. The problem is that there are a number of largely manual processes during the port, if it goes as planned then great!. When things go wrong then you can be without the number for days...
MVNO's seem to take longer to sort out problems as I guess they have to work through the primary network operator

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2017, 20:29:58 »
Porting a number only happens on weekdays and SHOULD take 24 hrs from start to finish. You're likely to to out if service for a couple of hours during the port. The problem is that there are a number of largely manual processes during the port, if it goes as planned then great!. When things go wrong then you can be without the number for days...
MVNO's seem to take longer to sort out problems as I guess they have to work through the primary network operator

Thanks, the process is a lot clearer to me now. Hopefully it'll all go to plan :) :karmic:
zap
--------------------

Offline MisterW

• Grand Netter
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 08:28:02 »
There's a really good description of how the process works here https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Porting-in-explained/ta-p/4221529 if you're interested

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:00:35 »
Has anyone switched mobile provider recently? I need to do it because the costs and coverage of my current provider are no longer acceptable. I have to do it on three numbers which will be a pay monthly to pay monthly move, like for like switch.

It's the downtime I'm concerned about plus I need to make the switch during a particular week. I'm not concerned if I have to pay both providers for a overlap. Is this possible to do without any real downtime?

I did last year, from a Vodaphone contract to IDMobile (No relation! And IIRC a Carphone Warehouse company/group), as I'm paying about half the price for double the allowance or more. Was painless, PAC code and a hour or so to wait between the swap (I think this time I forgot to swap sims, but had the new one in my wallet so when the signal died on the old one, I swapped in the new one). Kept my number etc.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:11:52 »
Thanks for the info :)
zap
--------------------

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Glenn
--------------------

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
zap
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2017, 00:15:12 »
It has been said that Three doesn't have the greatest coverage of all the networks, but I guess it depends where you are as to whether you will receive a good service.
Simon.
--

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2017, 08:48:54 »
Three and EE share some masts over the country via their MBNL joint venture.
Glenn
--------------------

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:28:22 »
Three and EE share some masts over the country via their MBNL joint venture.
No use to me as Three don't do 2G UK roaming any more.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2017, 22:12:12 »
It has been said that Three doesn't have the greatest coverage of all the networks, but I guess it depends where you are as to whether you will receive a good service.

I've been with Three for a number of years now. I've found them to normally have better coverage than o2 (which my work phone is on).
Lance
_____

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:32:16 »
O2 and Voda tend to have better rural coverage due to their use of lower frequencies.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.