Author Topic: No GUI After Flashing Huawei EchoLife HG612  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Musical4Ever

• New Netter
No GUI After Flashing Huawei EchoLife HG612
« on: Nov 18, 2017, 20:13:44 »
I’ve had problems flashing the Huawei EchoLife HG612 modem, I did one a good while ago with no problems, but I ended up giving it away (doh). I’ve followed the steps on kitz.co.uk which aren’t exactly complicated. When flashed the modem re-boots and LAN 2 shows green & amber flashes seemly showing data moving. Everything looks OK. It’s been done with a direct Ethernet to my PC yet I can see the Huawei GUI & go into it then a few seconds later no connection & it doesn’t disappear but unresponsive & I can't log in again.
The modem while & after flashing had no internet connection. I’ve used the latest firmware. I have accessed it with http://192.168.1.1 to flash & to enter the GUI, I’m a bit baffled why the GUI disappears and or appeared in the first place. I’ve tried Chrome & IE. I do have a feeling it’s not the modem but not sure what. I have tried several times. My AV shows no problems. I believe the latest firmware overcame BT's removing the GUI (and anyway it had no internet connection) the GUI & added support for G.INP.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2017, 20:18:12 by Musical4Ever »

Offline benjanyan

• New Netter
Re: No GUI After Flashing Huawei EchoLife HG612
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:43:07 »
No experience with one of those so I can only speak generally. Sounds like the firmware didn't flash cleanly or doesn't match the hardware (sometimes there's multiple revisions and it's not always clear).

Or maybe it's just dying. My old Asus router went a similar way, very slow and unresponsive GUI and was very intermittent regardless of whatever firmware I flashed on it (there were multiple custom ones). Went in the bin after 6 years of service.  :'(

Few things to try:
  • Can you still telnet to it (if supported)?
  • Might be wise to try from a second PC just to be safe as well.
  • Is there another way to reflash it that you can try? Some routers can be put into a recovery mode and flashed using tools like TFTP rather than via the GUI. Might be worth a Google.

Offline MisterW

• Grand Netter
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:56:25 »
There's a couple of threads on the kitz forum where people have lost the gui after flashing. This one seems useful http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18537.0.html as they managed to get it back...

Offline Musical4Ever

• New Netter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 14:30:20 »
OK & thank you all - I have come to the conclusion Windows 10 wasn’t helping regardless & how I set up access sharing, firewall etc. My laptop was much the same & that has the recent fall update on also. My Mac has been purloined by one of my offspring, then I tried an ancient laptop (wife’s work lappy) that runs 7 & I succeeded - IMO there isn’t a good reason why win 10 shouldn’t have worked but I have also had problem sharing from this PC to my android telly. Anyway worked OK in the end. In future going to try using a Linux live USB, see how that goes?

Great to be able to see stats again as I got it working with LAN 1 & 2 plugged into the router. Changed the modems IP & kept the router standard, just need to make sure all settings are OK - Thanks for all the help! (Got 2 more to do now)

Offline MisterW

• Grand Netter
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2017, 14:45:56 »
In future going to try using a Linux live USB, see how that goes?
TBH I gave up with Windows at home a few years ago. I've been using Linux on my desktop and netbook for about 4 years now!.
I do have an old laptop that's got Windows XP on it for the odd occasion when there's something that I can only do on Windows. I think it was about 6 months ago I used it (flashing an MediaTek phone), and about a year prior to that. 

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.