Author Topic: Can't sync to IDNet with TP-Link TD-W8980 - TP-Link TD-W8970 - Zyxel VMG8924-B1A  (Read 982 times)

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
Hi,

I've been using my old Netgear DG834G with IDNet (ADSL) for about ten years now and wanted a change, primarily for dual-band wifi. I'm finding that non of the new (used) routers I've tried so far will sync; the correct settings are being used.

I've tested the two TP-Link routers on a different line to a different ISP where they synced with no problem at all, so they are not faulty. I've not had a chance to test the Zyxel router on another line as yet, but it is supposed to be fully working. All four routers have also been tried on a test account with A&A but only the Netgear would sync.

So:

My Netgear syncs to IDNet and A&A.

The two TP-Link routers will sync on another line to a different ISP (the Zyxel router has not yet been tested on another line).

The two TP-Link and the Zyxel routers will not sync to IDNet or A&A.

IDNet support said to check the settings and test with a different make and model of router, which I have done.

So, has anyone else had this sort of experience? With IDNet or anywhere else? Or can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be? If so, I would love to know!

Thanks.

Dale

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
:welcome:  Dale.

Sorry, I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

My initial thought, though, is that it does sound suspiciously like a settings issue.   :-\
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
:welcome:  Dale.

Sorry, I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

My initial thought, though, is that it does sound suspiciously like a settings issue.   :-\

Thanks for the welcome, Simon.

It does sound like it could be a settings issue, doesn't it. But I have really checked and I don't think it is. I used the settings exactly as they are in the Netgear router, and have checked them with IDNet support on the phone.

My settings are:

Encapsulation - PPPoA.
Multiplexing Method - VC-based.
DSL Mode - Auto(Multi-mode) - and I have tried all the manual settings too.
VPI/VCI - 0 - 38.
My IDNet username and password.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
I've had a look at my own working router settings, which is an Asus DSL-N66U, and the Encapsulation Mode appears to be PPPoE LLC.  Maybe that would be worth a try?  That was automatically detected by the router when setting up the connection.
Simon.
--

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
I've had a look at my own working router settings, which is an Asus DSL-N66U, and the Encapsulation Mode appears to be PPPoE LLC.  Maybe that would be worth a try?  That was automatically detected by the router when setting up the connection.

Well I just tried that with the Netgear and it synced, but no sync with Zyxel. I'm surprised that it worked with the Netgear because I thought it had to be one or the other of those settings. Also, IDNet have told me it should be PPPoA and VC-Based.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
To be honest, I don't really know what the difference is, but my router detected the settings automatically, and it works fine.  I don't think I'm looking at the wrong thing.

As I said, hopefully someone who knows more about this will be able to help better than I can. 
Simon.
--

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
Have you updated the firmware on all of the new routers and done a factory reset?

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
LLU and VDSL lines are likely to be PPPoE. Bog standard ADSL lines are likely to be PPPoA+VC-Mux.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Do both work, though?  I'm pretty sure previous routers of mine have been set to PPPoA VC-Mux, but as I said, the Asus found its own settings and has been rock solid so far.  As far as I know, I just have basic ADSL2+.
Simon.
--

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
Have you updated the firmware on all of the new routers and done a factory reset?

Yep, done that.

What I have, is that all the routers are working, but the only one that will get sync on my circuit, is the Netgear.

Odd, or what?!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
With apologies if I'm asking the bleeding obvious, have you tried copying the exact settings from the Netgear, to one of the other routers which won't sync?  Do any of the other routers have the option to automatically detect the ISP settings? 
Simon.
--

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
With apologies if I'm asking the bleeding obvious, have you tried copying the exact settings from the Netgear, to one of the other routers which won't sync?  Do any of the other routers have the option to automatically detect the ISP settings?

Yes, those are the settings I'm using.

All of the routers will dynamically detect the IP, gateway and DNS addresses; the other settings have to be entered manually. I have tried the correct settings, and pretty much all other variations, just to see if anything different happened.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
I knew it wouldn't take long, but I'm out of ideas. 

I am a little confused though, because if it's detected the IP and the dynamic DNS, I can't see how it isn't then synced.   :dunno:
Simon.
--

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Just a thought - in the PPP settings, what's the authentication mode?  Mine is set to Auto, but I believe CHAP works.  This probably won't help, but here's a screenshot of my settings for ADSL2+, but they are different to the settings IDNet provide, so I'm actually curious myself to know how these work.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2017, 23:22:41 by Simon »
Simon.
--

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
I knew it wouldn't take long, but I'm out of ideas. 

I am a little confused though, because if it's detected the IP and the dynamic DNS, I can't see how it isn't then synced.   :dunno:

It's just that they 'will' detect the IP addresses, not that they 'have'.

Offline crunchyfrog

• New Netter
Just a thought - in the PPP settings, what's the authentication mode?  Mine is set to Auto, but I believe CHAP works.  This probably won't help, but here's a screenshot of my settings for ADSL2+, but they are different to the settings IDNet provide, so I'm actually curious myself to know how these work.

Thanks. Yea, I've tried manually selecting Chap as well as Auto.

It seems that sync to many ISP's will work using either/or of the PPPoA/PPPoE, but some only support one or the other. It's similar with VC/LLC, I think.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.