Author Topic: Problems with M3 drive revisited  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Broadback

• Master Netter
Problems with M3 drive revisited
« on: Mar 21, 2017, 13:43:53 »
I have been having problems getting the Maxtor M3 drive to work well and consistently. After lots of googling etc I have found that Windows 10 does not like it. What a PITA. So that seems to leave me 2 choices, either go to Windows 7 or get another drive. any suggestions on these options would be appreciated!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: Problems with M3 drive revisited
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2017, 14:01:44 »
Are you using the backup software that came pre-installed on the drive?  If so that could be your problem, rather than the actual drive itself.  Have you tried backing up your files manually or using another type of backup software?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Broadback

• Master Netter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2017, 15:06:38 »
I have tried both the backup on the drive, which does not work consistently. Also Windows does not fully recognise the drive, I will get it to work for a short time then it bombs out, certainly not reliable enough for a backup! :eek4:

Offline colirv

• Super Netter
    • Home web site
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:51:09 »
I must admit I've always avoided USB-powered drives. I don't know whether that's actually justified!
Colin

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 11:29:29 »
I must admit I've always avoided USB-powered drives. I don't know whether that's actually justified!

Not really. They can be great for backup etc. Network drives can too, but are for some reason a lot more expensive. Some routers let you plug usb drives into them, which is kind of a go between option.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline Broadback

• Master Netter
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:30:48 »
Good news! Having followed the advice both on this thread and its sister one in Broadband etc it still was not in the file explorer section, however I tried Macrium Reflect and it worked, it is now in the File Explorer. Thanks for all the help.  :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.