Author Topic: Does IDNet support exist any more?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
Does IDNet support exist any more?
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 18:32:49 »
In the 6 years I've been with IDNet I've hardly felt the need to use support. Fortunately.

Now I've a problem that, to my great disappointment, I'm haven't been able to sort with just my own research, I can't get calls answered or a response to e-mails. I appreciate that they're often praised to the skies on here, but what about the ordinary mortals? Are we frozen out? Is it now an ISP just for the "exciting" gamers? Or have Openreach become "too difficult" to deal with? Understandably so, and something which I assume will only become worse with Ofcom's shenanigans. Something else for us to celebrate, no doubt.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
Re: Does IDNet support exist any more?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 18:48:17 »
I've never had a call go unanswered and I've made far more than I can easily count. I don't recall having to wait more than a minute or two for someone to answer either. Are you calling during office hours?
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 19:30:38 »
I can only concur with Zap.  I've never had a problem with them answering the phone.   :dunno:
Simon.
--

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 21:33:37 »
It's certainly not my experience Merv.  I've always been very impressed with their rapid response and availability of staff.

Offline Adrian

• Addicted Netter
  • Started at the bottom, slowly working my way down
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 21:35:49 »
My experience has always been quite positive. Phone calls are picked up almost instantly and e-mails have usually received a response quite quickly. Actually resolving issues has sometimes been a bit slow, but then a quick fix isn't always possible, as with my present problems.

The one thing I like about AAISP is the way they keep customers informed of progress without having to be asked, IDNet could improve their already good service no end by following the AAISP model. It's a bit like when you are on a train that has been delayed, if you are told why there is a delay and kept updated without having to ask you don't feel quite so bad about it.
Adrian

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 21:41:19 »
That has always been one of their failings, Adrian, and has been complained about a lot on here.  Their reasoning seems to be that if there's nothing to tell the customer, (ie, they're waiting for BT, etc) then there's no need to keep in contact, but most customers would like more regular updates, so as not to feel as though they have been 'forgotten'.
Simon.
--

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:59:09 »
Never had an issue myself with support they always answer straight away. So what's with that dig at the gamers then? We are all mere mortals no matter what we use eg FTTC/ADSL/ADSL2  etc or those that game. We all go though the same support network too, so that's a pointless and unneeded dig at other users and a moot point really.

I understand people like being left in the loop but also sending updates with nothing new is also time consuming and there are those who would call that pointless. It's hard to find a balance I guess, but if I hear nothing I know there is no answer yet. IDNet when I last spoke to them talk to either their suppliers (not all at are BTw) or if they have to talk to BTw, which was a while back was India, so no its nothing to do with openreach as far as I know. Banging on about a company trying to keep a post war copper network running that was only ever designed for voice traffic is a bit pointless, it is what it until fibre replaces all the copper of varying sizes and grades and the useless Aluminium.

Even after you remove the wiring from the equation you still have the issues of ECI cabs being worse than Huawei ones, I mean Huawei have got G.inp and now will get the new 3db profiles this year if you have a stable line which is really sweating that copper, but ECI cabs get none of that, so roughly 35% of the network runs slower with more faults as ECI cabs appear to be less reliable and the ECI cabs cant at this time be upgraded to the new standards yet pay the same. Openreach didn't decide on cabs, that was BTw I believe. There is so much going on and to go wrong, sometimes you just have to be patient I find.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2017, 08:09:36 by Gary »

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2017, 13:28:50 »
So what's with that dig at the gamers then? We are all mere mortals no matter what we use eg FTTC/ADSL/ADSL2  etc or those that game. We all go though the same support network too, so that's a pointless and unneeded dig at other users and a moot point really.

The point being suggested, i think, is that with IDNet's new gamer focused premium priced packages, support would give preference and more time to these users.
Lance
_____

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2017, 08:26:07 »
The point being suggested, i think, is that with IDNet's new gamer focused premium priced packages, support would give preference and more time to these users.
I got that bit, Lance. I don't think that's happening and thought it was a petty jab tbh. Anyway I'm not on a gaming package even as a gamer, price for me is to steep but I still get though every call I make which is very rare I have to say thankfully. I don't think IDnet would put gamers calls as priority over anyone else's on our side of the business fence. Maybe they just know Mervl's number and hide ;D

Offline Tacitus

• Master Netter
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2017, 18:56:05 »
Just to add my two pennorth....

I've not had a problem with support.  Phones have been answered within a minute or so and I've had replies to emails as soon as I've left the keyboard.  Maybe I've been lucky but my sister's also with iDNet and she's reported much the same.  In fact she's thinking of moving the line and phone over as soon as her BT contract ends. 

Agree with others though, they could take a leaf out of AAs book and give regular updates if it's a long problem involving others. 

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2017, 19:10:10 »
Sorry folks. I can only offer the excuse that I was pretty depressed having lost one third of my download speed progressively over a fortnight, with no discoverable reason for it, and with no end to the decline in sight, it seemed. It's now stabilised for the last week at a touch shy of 27Mbps, so I can live with that. Uploads are truly excellent and always have been, but they are left to settle naturally and don't seem to be affected by BT's systems. I really hope I haven't been blacklisted. It's the third time in six years that I've contacted them, and the first two were just a single e-mail - when I joined and to get an IPv6 address when they system failed to give me one, both sorted in a few minutes, oh and I think maybe once for a line check, again sorted in a couple of minutes.

I realise that with VDSL, BT's systems are automated so there's really nothing that can be done once their systems take it upon themselves to cap you. It can get stuck. It's not an uncommon experience, almost a normal one reading around the subject. I'm just unlucky. I've decided to reduce my package to Lite, and sadly treat IDNet as a life raft and wait for rescue by a bigger ship. Just maybe, I understand, a change of supplier might induce a reset. Nothing else will, it seems, without the bill for an abortive visit if there's no line fault found (which there isn't - the line itself is in excellent condition for its age), and the systems can't be reset remotely. It's the game. Not IDNet's fault, they're not to blame in any way shape or form. They've done everything they can. Sorry to everybody, again. My fault for being unlucky, and not having the balls to take it.

I realise of course that IDNet's USP is their uncontended own network and it's a judgement, I suspect it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else is horribly contended. I suspect if the worst comes to it though I have the option to go away, do something else and wait for any contention to clear. I'm lucky in that regard, others on time critical things aren't.

My electricity supplier, First Utility (Southern Electric?) seem pretty keen for my business by the amount of offers I'm receiving. Just missed one, unfortunately, but hopefully another will be along before too long! With my line I doubt I'm ever going to get any benefit from IDNet's solid backhaul so I don't think there's any rational alternative to choose on download limits and price, which frankly is the same as the vast majority of the country. It's the way the market is fixed. Apart from the speed issues everything else is perfect, so it's sad to have to leave as IDNet's service is as near perfect as you can get (after the troubles a few years back) as far as I can tell; but I doubt I'm the first. Ah, for the days of ADSL when ISP's actually had some influence and the choice of ISP mattered. I just can't justify paying just for the name any more.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017, 19:34:38 by mervl »

Offline Adrian

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2017, 21:37:06 »
Mervl, have you thought of moving to Andrews & Arnold and taking up their offer to fix your problem or release you from your contract at no cost? It might be worth at least talking to them.

Once they get the bit between their teeth with technical issues that aren't the end users fault they don't let go.
Adrian

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2017, 22:42:36 »
Mervl, have you thought of moving to Andrews & Arnold and taking up their offer to fix your problem or release you from your contract at no cost? It might be worth at least talking to them.

Once they get the bit between their teeth with technical issues that aren't the end users fault they don't let go.

Thanks. It had crossed my mind. I'll give them a ring though. The issue was cost. I'm not going to get over a 40 download sync with anyone and, unless there is horrible congestion, I suspect anyone will do. With two mobiles I don't need a phone for calls and don't need an unlimited allowance, so A&As line only with FTTC broadband might become competitive. IDNet have met my need perfectly so I'm disappointed but this problem is just the straw that breaks the camel's back!!! I know it shouldn't before anyone else tells me!

PS Thanks again Adrian. After a tour of their site and getting a quote I've taken the plunge. It'll probably make no difference, but the reassurance is a comfort, as is the 150GB buffer, instead of the 50GB that Idnet offer on their basic package which is the clincher. It's only £3 more than the comparable service from Idnet (actually £9 less than I'm paying at the moment), which is good. And the reassurance I've got the best I can get, priceless. Well that's the way it feels at the mo.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2017, 23:37:31 by mervl »

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2017, 09:41:52 »
I never had a problem with idnet support in all the time I was with them.

They always answered very quickly and were very helpful indeed. After I moved to BT (Mainly for cost of infinity) I have found BT support great.

As I still use a couple of idnet email address's I needed to contact idnet support when I had a problem with them and they were just as good as they have always been.
Mr Music Man.

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2017, 13:53:38 »
Just in case anyone else needs to check  . . .

Now I'm leaving IDNet, I've just discovered that I'm paying for phone and broadband separately (£31.80 +£16.40) the same as when I took them both together nearly 7 years ago, although I upgraded to the "new" Fibre Pro package a year or two years ago. But I kept getting seperate bills rather than the now all-in-one package price, currently £41.40, that new joiners get! No wonder I found A&A cheaper!

Do we have to leave and rejoin to get the lower prices? It just seems a bit sneaky (though I know all the big ISP's do this, a lot. Just feels sneaky, that I've been had).
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 14:01:01 by mervl »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2017, 15:02:22 »
Without checking back, I can't remember if everyone was switched automatically onto the new packages, or whether you had to ask.   :dunno:
Simon.
--

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2017, 15:04:56 »
You shouldn't have to rejoin to get a better deal. In the first instance you should mention this to iDNet directly. It's probably an oversight which they will want to remedy.

Offline Ray

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2017, 15:15:16 »
Without checking back, I can't remember if everyone was switched automatically onto the new packages, or whether you had to ask.   :dunno:
I think you did have to ask, Simon, I know I did when I switched to one of the new packages before I left to go to Plusnet a year later.
Ray
--------------------

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2017, 15:38:09 »
From what I recall, I was "switched" to Fibre Lite, and then specifically requested an upgrade to Fibre Pro.

The only thing I can think of is that I joined from Orange LLU, and due to their restrictions the phone had to be switched first, and then the broadband or else the transfer would have failed. Normally it's the other way around (or vv)? Perhaps Idnet's account systems did not link my broadband and phone? Seems inconceivable as they're both the same phone number. But admittedly my monthly invoice dates are different, although it was all one order. Very curious. It's helped with the decision to jump ship,al though possibly if it weren't for this I wouldn't (as at last DLM has just started recovering my connection after what looks like several failed attempts!).

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 16:41:41 by mervl »

Offline Adrian

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2017, 18:03:23 »
I have always paid for phone and broadband separately with IDNet due to taking them up at different times, I pay annually for both. However, the total I pay is the same as for the full package and I also automatically moved to the new unlimited packages at the old price - if that makes sense.
Adrian

Offline Adrian

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2017, 18:05:17 »
Now I'm leaving IDNet
Where did you decide to move to in the end?
Adrian

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2017, 19:54:01 »
Where did you decide to move to in the end?

Andrews and Arnold. But now everything's up in the air so I'm staying but I'm more confused than ever. Scrapping my call package and call diversion (as I think my Fritz!Box router has the facility anyway) and downgrading to 40/10 (the DLM max for my line), I get a 50GB cap (which I've only exceeded twice in 6 years, apparently) and pay just shy of £37 which saves £9m pm on A&As £46.12, for phone, broadband and VOIP for calls - though with a better 150GB cap. (Though Brian told me the £41.50 is for the base Fibre Lite 50GB capped package, and not the Fibre Unlimited - though Simon tells me the terms aren't used any more - its 40/2, 40/10 and 76/maybe options forr 10 or 20 - not sure).

I can't be clear how this relates to the £53 I'm paying at the moment: minus £9 for the call package and call diversion, it comes down to £44 for the Unlimited and phone line only (no calls), though the website now shows £45, the same as A&A.  I'm not sure but does the website quote vary, even from day to day? But this way we get the IDNet charge down to £36.60, for the moment at least!. I just have to limit my use and watch that cap. Is 100GB worth £9pm? For me I have to admit, probably not. As long as my use doesn't change, which I have to admit hitherto it hasn't despite all my expectations with more time on my hands. Certainly IDNet's single excess data charge at £1 per GB looks exorbitant compared to A&As extra bundles! So it really is a hobsons choice.

I suspect the actual price depends on your backhaul supplier, which is why the website says "from". I'm limited according to A&A to BTW. Probably the most expensive!

Anyhow I have to shut up (relief to everybody) as apparently it's a new 12 month contract as Openreach change the cap, though according to my router the line has always been capped at 40Mbps at the DSLAM, and presumably remains so! It didn't change when I upgraded(?) to Fibre Unlimited, presumably due to the mysterious DLM. The dark arts of broadband!!!

Itchy feet after 6 years though are a hard irritation to cope with! And I do have to admit to a sweet admiration of A&A's simplicity to the complexity of IDNet as I'm discovering. It's a minefield out there.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 20:31:11 by mervl »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2017, 20:34:25 »
According to THIS, it's £41.40 for Fibre Unlimited, and £35.40 for Fibre Lite (50Gb), both including phone line and VAT.
Simon.
--

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2017, 20:38:45 »
According to THIS, it's £41.40 for Fibre Unlimited, and £35.40 for Fibre Lite (50Gb), both including phone line and VAT.

Ah, two things note the word "from" and use the system to get a quote for your line - which gives you the actual current price you'll be charged when ordering. (It works even if you're currently signed up).That's what you have to rely on apparently, and it's not necessarily the same! Only perhaps a few quid out but . . .

And check it tomorrow and see if it's the same. I'm not sure . . .
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 20:46:35 by mervl »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2017, 20:47:19 »
When I do the availability check, it comes up: Fibre - from £25.80 per month.  So, I assume that is the 50Gb capped, and without the phone line, as it says "broadband only from £25.80" under the Fibre Lite package.  I have to admit, it is confusing, especially when you start to add on the extras for the actual installation, and that's one of the reasons why I've not bothered with it.  That, and I don't really feel I need it, as my ADSL2+ does me quite well enough for what I need.
Simon.
--

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.