Author Topic: Ofcom & BT  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: Ofcom & BT
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2017, 17:56:04 »
Yeah.  It will be interesting to see if it actually makes any difference.   :dunno:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline JohnH

• Ultimate Netter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2017, 20:15:15 »
I haven't seen anything to say that BT will no longer own it, though.

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:00:24 »
If it is not broke don't fix it. It's only the dummy suppliers such as Sky and Talk Talk who want to change. I have always had good dealings with OpenReach and don't want to see it changed.  :eyebrow:
Mr Music Man.

Offline JohnH

• Ultimate Netter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2017, 13:10:52 »
I've read this morning that BT will still own it 100% and will be responsible for setting its budgets.

Sounds like window dressing.

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2017, 05:59:30 »
I've read this morning that BT will still own it 100% and will be responsible for setting its budgets.

Sounds like window dressing.
Not quite BT will set its budget but Openreach will have complete control over it, Openreach will become a distinct company. Openreach will be incorporated as a legally separate company within BT Group, with its own ‘Articles of Association’. Openreach and its directors will be legally required to make decisions in the interests of all Openreach’s customers, and to promote the success of the company. Thats a huge move and not window dressing...

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2017, 06:04:24 »
If it is not broke don't fix it. It's only the dummy suppliers such as Sky and Talk Talk who want to change. I have always had good dealings with OpenReach and don't want to see it changed.  :eyebrow:
Openreach is not BT's plaything it should and now wont carry BT routers, it runs the network equipment and infrastructure, other players like Sky TalkTalk want dark fibre and now this will probably happen. Openreach should be allowed to be as independent as they need to be to set thier own goals and allow other big ISP's access to Dslams etc. These so called Dummy suppliers are huge, and BT needs the competition, after all they are just a ISP like any other and should not be given network favours, and now hopefully they wont.

Offline JohnH

• Ultimate Netter
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2017, 12:52:45 »
Not quite BT will set its budget but Openreach will have complete control over it, Openreach will become a distinct company. Openreach will be incorporated as a legally separate company within BT Group, with its own ‘Articles of Association’. Openreach and its directors will be legally required to make decisions in the interests of all Openreach’s customers, and to promote the success of the company. Thats a huge move and not window dressing...

I'm afraid it is, Gary. BT will still retain the power to sack the Openreach chief executive and as long as BT own Openreach 100%, Openreach does not have control over its own destiny. Like it or not it's still a de facto BT subsidiary. The only way it would be a 'huge move' would be if there were to be a full separation.

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2017, 15:44:33 »
I left Idnet with a lot of regrets and sadness. Since I have been with BT I have an amazing experience and now that I am using their new smart hub I have got rid of most of my Develo Power line units because although I live in a large house the signal is 100% in every part (except in one room where I require a power line still to give the 100%). Any dealings I have had with Openreach has also been without problem so as I stated if it is not broke don't fix it just because companies such as Sky say so.
Mr Music Man.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2017, 19:52:09 »
Just because you've not experienced the broken part of the system, Den, it doesn't mean it isn't broken.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:43:49 »
I'm afraid it is, Gary. BT will still retain the power to sack the Openreach chief executive and as long as BT own Openreach 100%, Openreach does not have control over its own destiny. Like it or not it's still a de facto BT subsidiary. The only way it would be a 'huge move' would be if there were to be a full separation.
Openreach has full control of the budget though and any dealings with other companies will not be privy to BT group. Openreach would never have the capital to start on their own and since BT group own the network as such that's why they will be part of the umbrella I guess, otherwise they would be a poor subcontractor in reality. Not sure BT can sack the Openreach CEO if they are a separate registered company...

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:18:27 »
Seems to me that it's bringing Openreach governance into the modern world, from the old legacy of nationalised telecoms. Probably overdue. Admin always seemed to me to be Openreach's weakness. All fine and dandy. But it's no magic wand to sort out those with poor connections. Indeed for individual customers as more resources are poured into this modernisation "behind the scenes" and with the inevitable disruption which occurs whenever things are changed, our individual service might even get worse in the short term.

There will always be a battle between the content providers and the suppliers. Sky have one obsession, their profits; I don't criticise them for it, but I always look at what they say with that in mind. They are big spenders, and need a bigger income to match. They're not a charity or some sort of social service for consumers (though it might make good marketing). Faster connections are great, but what for? Ofcom focus on only one part of the market. That is, of course , their job; but I think us consumers should have a wider perspective.

Offline peasblossom

• Super Netter
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2017, 19:47:45 »
If it means that people can contact Openreach directly then imo that will be a good thing. A very good thing. It may not be (indeed probably won't be) a magic wand to deal with all the problems but you've got to start somewhere.

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2017, 14:20:03 »
I'd agree, except that I can see it developing into an endless game of ping pong: ISP says contact OR, OR says "not us, contact your ISP". How do we know whose responsibility it is? That's why there was one point of contact in the first place.

I have a problem at the moment (a DLM reset) where it'd be sensible, and easiest, to talk to OR. Any chance? No. Everyone would be at it, "just in case". They will always be under pressure to cut costs, which means more automation and less scope for changing anything. We have to live with the consequences. Mistakes when they happen, which they will, will be big ones.

The only way I think it'd work is if everyone had to take a line contract from OR, separate to their broadband contract (except with FTTP, mobile and Cable). Then it would only work for traditional line faults, like it used to when we had voice-only telecoms. We can't turn the clock back, however hard we try.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.