Author Topic: AC1900 VDSL Router - IDNet supply  (Read 2331 times)

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
AC1900 VDSL Router - IDNet supply
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 17:50:12 »
I started a thread recently about Netgear's 90 day support. I got on to the retailer and they confirmed it (although it did seem to come as a surprise to them too).
I've respectfully suggested they might make some mention of this on their website as a word of warning.
We'll see if they actually do that since it would effectively lose them business.
However, my attention, regarding my frequent dropouts, has turned to my modem.
I'm on the BT Infinity 2 - box system with the little white modem.
They no longer produce or install these which makes life a bit more difficult, as replacement modems are quite expensive. (Unless you take a punt at EBay)
So IDNet are sending me a test modem to either eliminate this or verify that the modem is the guilty party.
So, thinking ahead, assuming the worst, that the modem is at fault, not the new Netgear router after all, I thought I'd investigate a combined unit and dispense with my Netgear router and stump up more ££.
So during my conversation with Nick on IDNet's tech support I asked him what IDNet were offering, and he mentioned a TP-Link AC1900 unit, but the only one I can see, either on IDNet's gaming pages or under their router page is the TP-Link Archer V900 which is NOT a modem/router and needs a modem. Also the markup seems way to much as the TP-Link is about £90 and IDNet mentioned £135.
Can anybody tell me exactly what they are supplying so I can check reviews etc.
Just to confuse things a bit further, i thought that these "combined" modem/routers were designated as VDSL or VDSL2, but my Netgear R7000 is classed also as a VDSL unit but it needs a router for BT Infinity.
Help somebody please - aaaargh!!
Also a sub-£200 AC1200 (min) combined unit recommendation? NOT Netgear please..

Offline Ray

• Administrator
Re: AC1900 VDSL Router - IDNet supply
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 21:53:30 »
I've just invested In an Asus DSL AC68U Router which is a combined unit that works on ADSL and VDSL £144 from Amazon seems to work well on my fibre connection and the WiFi is much better than the Billion 8800AXL that it replaced.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 22:27:13 »
Thanks Ray, but that looks like I would still need a modem for BT Infinity with this Asus unit. I did say I needed a combined unit (ie, no external fibre modem).
Its the modem bit that is my problem. If I needed a router like this I would stick with my new Netgear R7000.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 22:32:03 »
Are your sure? The router that Ray mentioned has an inbuilt VDSL modem i.e DSL -AC68U. the version without a modem is RT AC68U.
Steve
------------

Offline Ray

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:35:33 »
Thanks Ray, but that looks like I would still need a modem for BT Infinity with this Asus unit. I did say I needed a combined unit (ie, no external fibre modem).
Its the modem bit that is my problem. If I needed a router like this I would stick with my new Netgear R7000.

Yes Steve is correct the Router I mentioned does have a built in modem
Ray
--------------------

Offline jaydub

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:36:45 »
The modem side of the ASUS DSL series doesn't have the best of reputations, I'm afraid.

The TP-Link series work really well I believe, but only offer very limited xDSL stats via their front end, so aren't either.

Its almost certainly the TP-LINK Archer VR900 Wireless Router AC1900 version they are offering. There is a new v2 version out which retails for a smidge under £135 on Amazon

The v1 version is currently selling for £110. 

I have a ZyXel VMG8924 that I picked up second hand, which is a nice looking router and works well.  I think they are around £150 new.  Firmware a little bit buggy perhaps.

However, if I was looking to spend up to £200 I would probably go for the following Billion router:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-AC1600-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B01BPEOEBA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Quite a jump up in price from the Wireless N version that IDNet provide for £55 though.

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:22:28 »
Thanks everybody. My error regarding the Asus, I saw the DSL input plus the EWAN and thought it was an ADSL/non modem version.
Thanks also to jaydub for his comments. I've used Billion for several years and have always found them reliable, with good support (albeit the units do not win any beauty contests).
Its a minefield out there isn't it. I guess the more you investigate the more conflicting anecdotal information you get.
Ask 20 people and you'll get 20 opinions (well, probably nearer 15) as to recommendations and what to avoid.
Aaaargh!!

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:33:25 »
I use a Draytek 130 and an Asus RT AC87U. (Asus Merlin firmware) The logic being I'll change the router before the modem , I can see the connection stats but that was  down to some clever editing to the router setup I copied from somewhere.
Steve
------------

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2017, 10:03:30 »
The Draytex is good for ECI Cabs as it has a Lantiq chipset, same as in the ECI modem in fact. For a Huawei cab you need a broadcom modem for best compatibility. I use a Netgear R7800 and the ECI modem (new firmware being pushed to it for G.inp relaunch in April I believe) As to Netgears 90 day support if the router is faulty you have two year warranty on mine and if you join Smallnetbuilder or the netgear forum you will get all your questions answered without Netgears nightmare telephone support. You have direct contact with one of their representatives on SNB which really helps. on a note about firmware updates many people tend not to hard reset the router after updating firmware, and then re-enter settings manually and this tends to sort out most issues but the R7000 has been a buggy beast now and then since its release.

I had no huge issues really with the R7800 which is a much better device to use than the ageing R7000, also I've noticed for my usage Qualcomm routers have better wifi and a great cloud based QoS called streamboost, the R7800 I use suits my needs, as does the ECI Modem still. No router is perfect and we all choose what we like but mesh style devices really are now the way forward over big old clunking routers like mine and SNB gave the rather expensive Netgear Orbi a great review although there are others to choose from.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2017, 15:41:01 »
Thanks for the tip regarding smallnetbuilder forums - I will definately look into that.
What you say about cabinets is interesting. Frustratingly, there's a newish one no more than 50m from my front door but it serves subscribers from the opposite direction (Grrrr...)
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2017, 16:40:17 by stevenrw »

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2017, 22:22:22 »
Big thanks to Gary. Great tip about that community board. The Netgear Guy got in touch and support is now on board. I never had a moments issue with their support, it is really good, its just the 90 day exclusion that tarnishes the brand IMHO.
It seems you just have no way to access support after 90 days.
Issue is ongoing, and may result in a replacement unit, but it would not be if not for Gary's input, so thanks again.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.