Author Topic: mtu help,weird size  (Read 6815 times)

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
Re: mtu help,weird size
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:07:24 »
Have you considered lowering the MTU on your PC to 1400? This is counter-intuitive.

The default on Ethernet (which is what connects your PC to the router) is 1500.

Why 1492? Why not set your MTU to 1500? On PPPoA you have to get something that's near to a multiple of an ATM frame, but for PPPoE you're probably don't.

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:45:02 »
1.tryed all combination 1400,1452,1460,1473,1492,1500..same problem.
2.idnet use pppoe, means that router allow me put max. size 1492, cant setup 1500(only pppoa or dhcp)
3.also tryed put manually on ps4 mtu 1500 and on pc same 1500..still same problem
4.on speedguide.net still is 1460 mtu.This mtu is changed only if I put lower mtu size 1460>

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2017, 14:10:53 »
Have you tried the router tech support?

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2017, 19:33:06 »
for what?i owning asus,linksys,tp-link,billion all routers is 5 month old.I dont think so that is router fault or modem.

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2017, 22:11:50 »
Sometimes, you just get lucky and speak to somebody who actually knows what your issue is. I've had Billion routers for many years and I've found their tech support to be pretty knowledgable.
Of course there is no guarantee.
You say "for what?"
I say "Why not?" You've not managed to sort it out yet so its just another suggestion you could try.

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2017, 19:50:16 »
1.contacted tech.support linksys,asus,tp-link with answer that is nothing wrong with my router or setup..I need contact my ISP idnet
2.contacted ea company (fifa17, nhl17), they checked my account with result no issue..I need contact my ISP inet
3.contacted idnet with result no issue on my network
4.checked on speedguide .net my network with result : MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput. If you are using a router, it could be limiting your MTU regardless of Registry settings.
5.checked my ps4 with sky (friend ISP)..no issue,all perfect like online gaming or streaming
6.rebooted modem,router, tryed factory reset, no help same issue
7.after factory reset I left all settings to default then on ps4 I setup easy connection to auto..result delay,lag games unplayable
8.tryed set static ip with dmz or static ip with port forwarding or static ip with upnp on..result: got delay and lag games unplayable
9.tryed swaping modem, routers ...same issue
10.checked microfilter all ok.
11.replace master socket to new version 5C mk4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfHMsP6IsE ..same issue
12.I really dont understand where is problem because idnet no help me, ea company no help,routers support no help

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2017, 20:08:22 »
If you open up your router to respond to ping requests and set up a thinkbroadband broadband quality monitor (I can't give you a direct link, the forum currently won't allow it), that might well help diagnose the nature of the problem.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2017, 22:51:46 »
You wrote:
Item 10. Checked microfilter - all ok.
I thought you said you were on FTTC? You MUST have microfilters for ADSL service.
You should NOT have microfilters on FTTC service.
So if you have PPPoE connection you are on FTTC.
When BT installed your modem they would have replaced your master socket. They should have unplugged (or advised you to unplug) all your microfilters. They are not required with the new BT socket.
You should REMOVE ALL microfilters.
Maybe this is the problem? Certainly worth a try.

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2017, 22:52:28 »
thinkbroadband broadband quality monitor

I did this before and monitor looks ok..but i finded another problem.I checked again my socket and default was connected cable orange -A and white -B (BT engineer fitting)..so when I watched again this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfHMsP6IsE engineer presented the correct connection orange -B and white -A. It can be a problem? Anyway I swaped cable like engineer presented the correct connection orange -B and white -A but on speedguide.net still showed me MTU max.size 1460.I didnt checked online gaming.I will do this tomorrow and I will let you know.

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:59:52 »
Yes, with FTTC, the microfilter is built into the master socket. You must connect your modem directly to the upper RJ11 socket on the master socket, not via a microfilter into a phone socket.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2017, 13:35:10 »
Unless it is a self install in which case there will still be a microfilter.
Lance
_____

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2017, 13:36:46 »
Have you tried doing a trace rt and then pinging each hop with the do not fragment and size flags to work out where on the path the MTU is being limited?
Lance
_____

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2017, 17:41:42 »
Im not use microfilter.Using master socket 5c MK4.When I swaped wire, not make difference, got same ping,same speed,same mtu limited to 1460.

Have you tried doing a trace rt and then pinging each hop with the do not fragment and size flags to work out where on the path the MTU is being limited?

Yes I posted this result on http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19140.0.html

Tested online gaming and still same result (delay 1 second)

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2017, 21:10:44 »
This forum is waste of time.I tryed fix my issue by myself but unsuccessfully.Contacted idnet and asked why limited my mtu to 1460 with no answer.Asked if will fix this issue, again no answer.Asked if idnet can sending engineer for investigation, again no answer.If i know that idnet offering bad support then I will never switch to this poor provider.Im disappointed.Well, I think that idnet just looking only for own profit.So I will highly not recommended this poor provider. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2017, 21:52:34 »
This forum is waste of time.I tryed fix my issue by myself but unsuccessfully.Contacted idnet and asked why limited my mtu to 1460 with no answer.Asked if will fix this issue, again no answer.Asked if idnet can sending engineer for investigation, again no answer.If i know that idnet offering bad support then I will never switch to this poor provider.Im disappointed.Well, I think that idnet just looking only for own profit.So I will highly not recommended this poor provider. :'( :'( :'(

There are plenty of people who would disagree with you that IDNet are a "poor provider".  And, with regards the forum being a "waste of time", no one here is a magician who can make your problem disappear, but there have been several people who have tried to help you with suggestions.  I spoke to IDNet personally, on 11th January, and they confirmed that they were looking into your issue, and that they had been in contact with you.

Good luck with finding a new broadband provider, and with resolving your problem.
Simon.
--

Offline roberto2212

• New Netter
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2017, 16:13:41 »
Well, switched to sky ISP with result : on speedguide showed me correct mtu size 1500 then tested online gaming with no issue, no lag or delay. So problem solved with sky provider.So problem was on idnet side but unfortunatelly Idnet ignore this issue.Thanks all guys for reply.

Offline Tacitus

• Master Netter
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2017, 12:04:39 »
Post Deleted

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2017, 10:32:22 »
Are you on Sky LLU? Most likely you are so that shows the issues was somewhere in the BT network, and not necessarily IDNet.
Lance
_____

Offline jaydub

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2017, 12:39:21 »
He was on IDNet and moved to Sky.  Bit of a weird problem and not sure how much it was worth worrying about, but the move to Sky resolved it.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.