Author Topic: Windows Updates  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Glenbuck

• New Netter
Windows Updates
« on: Dec 21, 2016, 02:09:01 »
Hello folks

I’m having problems this month getting Windows Updates. I have 8.1 on my computer and it has worked perfectly up until now. I only take important updates and ask to be notified first rather than download automatically. It worked OK in November but this month it seems to be stuck at ‘searching for updates’. I’ve turned it off, on, and also used the Windows Update Diagnostic Tool but, so far, it’s still searching! The last notification I got that the December downloads were ready was 13th December but a few days later when I had time to take them the problem started.

I have searched some boards but most fixes refer to problems folks had with Win 7 a good while back.

Can anyone help this oldie? I don’t quite understand much of the technical stuff these days but that's an age thing, for sure!

Bill   

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
Re: Windows Updates
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2016, 11:33:21 »
Losing Windows Updates might indicate an infection.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2016, 12:49:09 »
It might also indicate that a previous update didn't install properly, and may be preventing further updates from installing.

I wouldn't disregard all references to Windows 7, as many fixes will also apply to Windows 8/8.1, so if you've found something which seems to works for others, it may be worth a try.

I don't know if you've already seen this, Bill, but it might be worth a look here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline DarkStar

• Super Netter
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2016, 15:55:22 »
The problem of slow never ending updates in Win 7 and 8/8.1 is nothing new and well documented.
Try installing the following kb updates one at a time in the order listed rebooting between each one and see if that helps. I'm still on 7 and installing the relevant updates for 7 solved the never ending search for updates for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=42327

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=46808

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53334

Hope that is of help
Ian

Offline Glenbuck

• New Netter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2016, 18:25:21 »
I was pretty sure there was no infection as I run Malwarebytes and my virus checker at the end of every day.

Simon, an interesting article but a wee bit too much for me these days, especially using command prompts. These things never used to bother me but they do now. I did try the diagnostics tool but it made no difference.

Ian, great stuff! I downloaded each and they fixed the problem. Updates were then found which I downloaded and installed. Fingers crossed the computer is back to normal.

Very many thanks to you all.

Bill

Offline DarkStar

• Super Netter
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2016, 20:10:50 »
Glad I was able to help  :thumb:
Ian

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2016, 22:54:38 »
Top marks to darkstar!
Lance
_____

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2017, 18:34:14 »
Both my Win 7 laptops upgraded to Win 10 without too much problem and they even downloaded Win 10 updates.  Then they gave up and said "searching for updates". The netbook won't even connect to the Internet and I think it's a known problem.   ::)

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2017, 19:57:32 »
Download and create a boot USB drive using another PC, format the netbook after saving any data, then reinstall W10 on the netbook.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2017, 20:10:44 »
Thanks Glenn but I've done without the netbook for several months now and I find it makes a superb doorstop.  I'm not wasting any more of my miserable life staring at Windows Updates on prehistoric computers.  But I very much appreciate your kind offer of help.   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.