Author Topic: Fibre Broadband Noise Margins...  (Read 672 times)

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
Fibre Broadband Noise Margins...
« on: Dec 13, 2016, 13:16:39 »
Would anyone have an idea of whether there's an optimal/typical Noise Margin for a Fibre connection, please?

(I have just switched to a 40/10 package with Sky...I have a sync speed of 39998 kbps and a downstream noise margin of 31.4dB)

On ADSL, I was accustomed to seeing this at around 6dB. I've asked Sky, but they don't seem to know.

My download and upload speeds appear fine (around 35/9.5) so I don't know whether I should worry about it - I'd just like to know if anyone has some definitive information, please.

Offline Ray

• Administrator
Re: Fibre Broadband Noise Margins...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2016, 13:24:35 »
I don't know what is optimum for the downstream noise margin is but my Plusnet connection is running at 6.3dB, speed normally around 54/13.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2016, 21:25:11 »
31dB noise margin? That is impressive. That's the excess over and above what is needed to support the speed you've connected at.

What it does mean is that your line can support a much higher speed with no problems should you wish to upgrade.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2016, 22:49:58 »
On BT the default is currently 6db but that is dropping to 3db sometime soon. Other providers with their own equipment, such as Sky, will most likely be 3db or 6db too.

For your line, because your sync is limited to 40mb, you're not using all the available margin. Not a problem at all and shows that you would benefit from going to the 80mb package should you want the speed.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2016, 23:10:42 »
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and answer my question...I understand what it means now.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.