Author Topic: iTunes problem.  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
iTunes problem.
« on: Nov 07, 2016, 19:25:09 »
This could go under Apple or Windows. I was playing some music on my computer using iTunes and noticed that each song was being repeated.

When I checked I found that most of the tracks had been duplicated and it's a nightmare having to go through and delete them one at a time.

I don't know how this has happened but it's a pain and I now wish that I had used a different music program.  :o
Mr Music Man.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: iTunes problem.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2016, 20:44:39 »
The new iTunes is a nightmare and keeps crashing on both my Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines. 

There is a thing where you can view duplicate tracks in one of the menus, File > Library, I think.  That might make it a bit easier to delete them, Den.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2016, 21:16:15 »
There are also programs you can download which will remove duplicates but I haven't tried them.  I find the built in duplicate finder to be quite ineffective.  I'm currently paring down my iTune library to a target of 1500 songs/3 days.  I started with 2150 songs/4.2 days and have reached R Dean Taylor.  This thread is not for you Simon.  :evil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2016, 21:36:16 »
 ;D
Simon.
--

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2016, 10:34:06 »
Another way around it if your iPod is loaded as you want it is to use a program called Sharepod which will copy the contents of your iPod to a file on your desktop.  You could then delete iTunes and reload it from the Sharepod file.  I've done this and it's very easy.  But you will have to use the paid for version because the free version will only transfer 50 songs.  For me, Sharepod was a lifesaver because my iPod wasn't working - it had frozen and resisted all the usual methods to unfreeze it.  Once I reloaded the IPod from the Sharepod file it worked normally again. 

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2016, 18:28:45 »
Just checked my backup devices such as Onedrive and  WD MyCloud and they are only stored once on both of those.

So I suppose I could delete the folder in iTunes and back up from one of these. Just don't fancy it going wrong.  :dunno:
Mr Music Man.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2016, 20:05:06 »
I once synced from a new iPod and managed to wipe out my whole iTunes library!   :bawl:

But luckily, I did have a backup.  You just have to make sure you get the right 'library.itl' in the iTunes folder.   Or, if all your music is in one folder, and that folder is organised into albums, etc, then I guess you could delete the lot, and Add Folder To Library using the backup folder.

But don't take my word that it will work.   :whistle:
Simon.
--

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2016, 22:49:34 »

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.