Author Topic: Stand alone Email provider?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
Stand alone Email provider?
« on: Aug 15, 2016, 13:07:59 »
My needs have changed a bit, and I'm looking to make some changes. So I'll probably swap out my IDNet account for a free or silly cheap internet deal. Nothing wrong with IDNet, I'm just looking to save a little, and just really do not use the landline.

But I'll probably be jumping ship every 12 months for the "new customer" deals. :P So a separate email address would be helpful.

What companies are best for stand alone email provision? I'd probably also like a little bit of webspace too (the IDNet space was helpful).
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
Re: Stand alone Email provider?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2016, 14:12:39 »
https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting/cpanel-hosting

£14.99 a year plus a domain would be my recommendation.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2016, 16:15:45 »
Used them to host my forum last year, they are very quick to respond to issues and will go out of their way to help resolve problems.
Glenn
--------------------

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2016, 21:05:00 »
My domain email is with Zoho Mail. Very few issues with them and best of all it is free!!
Lance
_____

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2016, 21:06:00 »
I should add that your Idnet email will continue to work even after you leave - they are good like that :)
Lance
_____

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2016, 22:35:45 »
Yes, that is true Lance, thanks. It's just in case I forget to send/get any emails and it drops off the planet. :)

Thanks Zappa, I'll give them a look see. Oh, the website is a bit technical for me. Which option would I choose for "just email"? I probably won't need webmail, but will be using a phone and PC, so would prefer IMAP, but do they only do Exchange? Or would I get the domain, and they provide the email?

PS, thanks again Lance, Zoho does IMAP, so I might look at them for the email... though I don't know if they have UK servers... oh I've no worry about them reading my emails (open book these days ;) ), but it might be slower than a uk based firm. :P

PPS, found it Zappa! Just normal website/space hosting has it all included. Thanks. :) Seems I clicked "homepage" from your link, and so skipped the cpanel (forgot to scroll down  :facepalm: ). I'll go get some sleep now!  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 23:14:46 by Technical Ben »

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2016, 23:12:18 »
Ben, they have server(s) in London and indeed have been pushing for more business recently in the UK. I've never had an issue with speed.

If you take a look at this, and then click on the relevant service eg Zoho Mail - imap it shows the performance data and where servers are. https://status.zoho.com
Lance
_____

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2016, 23:16:23 »
They do look good. I might go with them for a free service. I'm thinking of putting one or two hobby ideas up on a forum. So having the two with the same company would help (though different domains for personal/hobby stuff).

Just wish the local 3D printers were quicker at getting a print done. It takes them about 2 weeks for the 30 min print... At this speed I could order it from Shapeways and get it delivered on the cheap second class service. :D

Offline colirv

• Super Netter
    • Home web site
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2016, 10:11:36 »
I use Tsohost for my web site. Not always 100% reliable, which is why a year ago I moved my email to Fastmail. They really are reliable.
Colin

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2016, 18:26:48 »
I've used Gandi for domains for a while. Not dirt cheap, but not expensive. They throw in a small number of mailboxes for free on any domain, and a small template-based website too. Their support guys have been pretty good when I've had problems.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2016, 14:56:48 »
They do look good. I might go with them for a free service. I'm thinking of putting one or two hobby ideas up on a forum. So having the two with the same company would help (though different domains for personal/hobby stuff).

Just wish the local 3D printers were quicker at getting a print done. It takes them about 2 weeks for the 30 min print... At this speed I could order it from Shapeways and get it delivered on the cheap second class service. :D
And now they lost the print.  :slap: Oh well, I'll use shapeways (different printing tech, but nevermind), and look at getting the hosting up with TSOhost next pay day. :P

Offline JohnH

• Ultimate Netter
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2016, 19:47:24 »
What companies are best for stand alone email provision? I'd probably also like a little bit of webspace too (the IDNet space was helpful).

You can't go wrong with these guys - www.smarthosting.co.uk.  All the web space you want and you get a free domain. Good UK support, too.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.