Author Topic: Stretched display and other problems  (Read 1190 times)

Offline dudwell

• Super Netter
Stretched display and other problems
« on: Aug 08, 2016, 16:53:33 »
My unsuccessful struggle to get Videostream working (see other thread) involved trying System Restore twice (it didn't complete properly first time) after which Windows demanded to make 91(!) updates.

Now I have at least 3 new problems:-

The laptop display is stretched laterally. In Control Panel the screen resolution is shown as 1024x768 at the top end of the range and the slider can't be moved down.

The screen brightness is at maximum and can't be adjusted down.

The display doesn't go to sleep when left unattended and the manual option to sleep is greyed out.

Suggestions welcomed!

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Re: Stretched display and other problems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2016, 17:22:28 »
Re-install the graphic driver.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Den

• Forum Star
    • www.crimeshield-alarms.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2016, 20:16:00 »
I read the problem post twice and not once did it click about the driver.  :red:
Mr Music Man.

Offline dudwell

• Super Netter
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2016, 20:49:28 »
Thank you Glenn for your suggestion, alas I have uninstalled both the graphics drivers which came with my Samsung Windows 7 laptop (and Windows reports that they are up to date) and restarted (twice) so that Windows found them but the problem persists.

When I cast a video to my dumb TV via Chromecast it plays with the correct aspect ratio.

Any more ideas would be most welcome.

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2016, 22:11:40 »
With the display locked to 1 resolution points to the driver as do the other 2 issues. I would suggest that you delete the Windows installed driver and install the Samsung driver, you should be able to download it from the Samsung site. What model of laptop is it, also what version of Windows?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline dudwell

• Super Netter
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2016, 22:20:07 »
Thanks Glenn. I uninstalled driver again and restarted. This time Windows picked up a standard VGA driver and after another restart....problem solved!! :fingers:

What a wonderful resource we have here on IDNetters forum with such helpful people.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.