Author Topic: Vodafone SureSignal v3  (Read 4347 times)

Offline mogden

• Addicted Netter
Vodafone SureSignal v3
« on: Jul 27, 2016, 12:25:51 »
Hi folks!

Last week I bought a Vodafone SureSignal v3 to boost my signal, but blow me can I get it to work (and blow me are Vodafone's support hopeless in this area!) Sad tale here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Re-BT-network-issues-on-suresignal/m-p/2505292#M80475

I was just wondering if anyone here had SureSignal working using the ZyXel FTTC routers IDNet sell, and whether you had to fiddle with the router to get it to work (which ports forwarded, etc.) Also whether it was working until last week when BT may have broken the link to Vodafone's SS servers and not restored it yet!

Thanks, it's driving me crazy  :bawl:
Matt

ceci n'est pas un .sig

Offline Lance

• Administrator
Re: Vodafone SureSignal v3
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2016, 13:19:26 »
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline mogden

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2016, 14:57:48 »
Thanks Lance, I did look but it doesn't answer the question entirely. I know someone has got it working on the ZyXel and they mention port forwarding, but I've had no luck and am just trying to eliminate my end being the problem in the absence of any help from Vodafone.

Thanks again
Matt

ceci n'est pas un .sig

Offline mogden

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2016, 13:35:51 »
Lance

Just had a reply from Vodafone engineer who said:
IDNet is often a business solution so there may a firewall preventing the IPSEC from passing.

Would there be such a firewall?

Thanks
Matt

ceci n'est pas un .sig

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2016, 17:05:35 »
No, not at all. IDNet don't block anything within their network, especially a commonly used protocol often used in VPN solutions which businesses would implement.
Lance
_____

Offline mogden

• Addicted Netter
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2016, 17:54:35 »
That's what I suspected, another fob off.

Thanks Lance
Matt

ceci n'est pas un .sig

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2016, 12:36:58 »
IPSec uses different IP protocol numbers than usual. It uses UDP for control, but the actual packets use neither TCP or UDP or ICMP packets. Some firewalls don't by default pass anything if it's not TCP/UDP/ICMP.

ICMP is IP protocol 1.
TCP is IP protocol 6.
UDP is IP protocol 17.

IPsec uses IP protocols 50 and 51 in addition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IP_protocol_numbers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPsec

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2016, 21:56:27 »
I've never had any trouble with a IPSec VPN solution wherever I've been in the world.
Lance
_____

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:55:45 »
OK. I know it's been a while, but can I kind of re-ask the original OP's question?

Is there anyone out there successfully using a Vodafone Sure Signal V3 on an IDNET FTTC connection?

Thanks.

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2017, 14:14:21 »
These devices usually establish an IPSec-over-UDP connection back to base, port 4500/udp "UDP-encap: ESP".

My parents have the EE equivalent on their iDNet ADSL MAX connection which provides an open 3G signal in the house. It just about works, but if there's any line noise on the ADSL there can be unrecoverable loss of speech path for one or both parties, requiring a redial.

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2017, 14:30:58 »
Thanks anyway, but I'm specifically asking if anyone is using a Vodafone Sure Signal 3 on IDNET FTTC because in the Vodafone forums it seems there are lots of posts where they don't work and suspicion points to PPoE or the requirement for an MTU size of 1500 which is an issue as raised in this post about something else:   http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,33290.0.html

Others, seem to have them working on FTTC, with other ISP's, which I guess eliminates the PPoE bit.

Before I make any attempt to upgrade from ADSL2 (with IDNET) to FTTC (with IDNET) I want to know if my SS3 is going to continue to work.

Offline Tech Dude

• New Netter
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2017, 18:04:26 »
I have been using both Vodafone Suresignal 2 and 3 femto cells on various IDNET services ADSL & FTTC over the years.

I had some trouble around 18 months ago where my Draytek 2860 (connected to FTTC) stopped establishing an IPSEC tunnel back into Vodafone resulting in my Suresignal 3 not connecting.

This was a Draytek router firmware issue which coincided with the BT rollout of G.INP. I was a great fan of Draytek before.

These issues deserving of a thread on it's own.

After spending ages with Draytek UK testing various custom firmware versions, I ditched my Draytek.

I tried Asus, Billion, Linksys and TP Link routers (all with built in modems) with varying degrees of success, often resulting in hours lost.

As most of the routers have combined modem / router functionality, the frequent re-config / firewall rule changes + reboot / reconnect resulted in my line speed being reduced dramatically by the line management system in my local exchange.

I pulled out the Huawei Echolife 612 (broadcom chipset fibre modem) supplied by BT when my FTTC service was provisioned which connected flawlessly to my local Broadcom based exchange, syncing at a slightly lower speed than the router / modem combos listed above. I've lost around 3 to 5 mb in sync rate but have solid connectivity.

Using the Huawei Echolife 612 has allowed me to "experiment" with a number of routers WITHOUT built in modems, with a many reboots and re-config changes without affecting a stable line.

I tried using combo modem / routers in bridge modem connected to the Huawei HG 612 delivered mixed results, some requiring real fiddly configurations.

I settled on a Netgear R7000 router (with NO built in modem) connected to the Huawei Echolife 612 (3B) which has been superb, MTU set to 1492 on my router.

I have both a Vodafone SureSignal 3 (Alcatel Lucent) and a EE Signal box (Cisco) connected to my R7000 concurrently.

Both EE & Vodafone provide guidance on port forwarding, applicable to many consumer routers.

I have NO port forwarding rules for either femto cells.

The Huawei Echolife 612 (£B) fibre modems are still available on popular auction sites.

Keep in mind that BT exchanges utilize different chip sets, look into this before considering going do this route as there are 2 variations of BT fibre modem, the other allows connection to ECI based exchanges.Cannot comment on their use with Vodafone or EE femto cells.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions ?

TECH DUDE.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 18:11:11 by Tech Dude »

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2017, 16:46:52 »
Thanks for that excellent post Tech Dude.

I won't pretend to understand all of it, but it does suggest that I might well have problems if I were to upgrade to FTTC with the current method of using a supplied FTTC Combined Modem/Router. At the moment I don't have the option as my Cabinet has a waiting list as it's full, Openreach are saying it should be upgraded by July (here's hoping) but I will obviously have to think carefully about this as I have no Vodafone and very little anything else signal in my home.

Offline pukkahq

• New Netter
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2017, 20:17:24 »
We have customers using idnet FTTC with Vodafone sure signal. we use the BT Huawei modem with mikrotik routers, works great, one customer has 3 of them.

Paul

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2017, 14:44:08 »
Thanks for that.

It's beginning to look as if the problem is with the combined modem/routers then. So for a personal user doing a self install, it could be a problem?

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2017, 19:29:17 »
OK. Thought i'd better add an update to this.

After many months my local cabinet got an expansion and I decided to take the plunge to FTTC. If my Sure Signal V3 didn't work then so be it, i'd find some other way.

So, switch over day came. I disconnected everything from my old Netgear DGN2200 and unplugged my SS V3.

Now, per chance, I had decided on getting a Netgear D7000 Modem/Router to support my VDSL connection, I know Modem/Routers are a very personal thing and people have their favorites, but Netgear has always worked out for me and unlike some I do like the interface. I was also seduced by the claims of "for Very Large House", I want to stream video from one corner downstairs to the opposite corner upstairs. Anyways.....

I connected up my new D7000, changed nothing, except SSID, and passwords. All good. As good a connection as I could expect being on a long line. Very pleased.

Last thing, I'll plug my Vodafone Sure Signal back in and connect up to the router and see what it's like in the morning. So, you could have knocked me down with a feather when 20 mins later, it made the connection and I had my 3G signal back on my phones !!!!! 

I don't pretend to understand why, but it just seems to have worked with a Netgear D7000.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2017, 22:13:15 »
Glad it is all working well!
Lance
_____

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.