Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Confused
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 14:37:40 »
I put in a DSL only extension socket upstairs today using the DSL extension point behind the master socket https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/other/357-moving-bt-infinity-dsl-from-master-socket-to-any-household-extension-socket.

With the Fritzbox connected downstairs before the start I was connected at 75/13. Disconnect the Fritzbox, do the work then try upstairs using a HH5 I got 37/17 (didn't have a BT to RJ45 cable for the Fritzbox), remove the HH5 and reconnect the Friztbox downstairs, I get 75/8, now the upload speed drop may be due to the line dropping a few of times quickly in an hour.

Why the big drop between the Fritz downstairs and the HH5 upstairs? Would the old BT to RJ11 cable used with the HH5 cause the problem?

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2016, 14:58:25 by Glenn »
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 14:56:27 »
Not sure Glenn but we never did like extension sockets for adsl. I just wonder whether the chap from the link you highlighted was lucky.
Steve
------------

Offline Adrian

• Addicted Netter
  • Started at the bottom, slowly working my way down
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 15:43:33 »
I don't think I would do it that way. My master socket is right where the BT wires come into the house - don't ask me how it got there <cough>, but I wanted my router to be in a room some 30 feet or more away, as the wires go, from the socket. I know some people don't like wires running round the house but I bit the bullet and ran Cat 6 from the master socket to my chosen point where I installed a high quality socket. I consistently sync at maximum speed and have no issues related to my wiring. My DEC phone socket comes off the back of the NTE5 along with the cat 6.

Even the BT engineer was impressed when he came round, having mistakenly thought I had booked an engineer installation, though he was puzzled by the location of the NTE 5.
Adrian

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:53:32 »
Does the HH allow you access to stats since it looks perhaps as though the modem is only synching with a 40Mbps limit on the line, which could be a negotiation error? (I'm on IDNet's up to 75Mbps FibrePro and my Fritz only syncs with a 40Mbps limit at the DSLAM, although the reported attainable rate is over 45Mbps). In my case I assume though that it may be a conscious restriction by BT due to the nature of the local loop.

Many of us have found sync falls on the upstream on the 7390 (not the later 7490), usually dramatic though like in my case from 6Mbps down to 660kbps, due to changes made by BT in local cab firmware. (Most happened in November, though if you haven't resynced . . . ). AVM have some beta firmware to deal with that issue, but only supply it by request on a case by case basis, if you're lucky.

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 15:14:53 »
The setup that I currently have in place is as follows,

Fibre NTE5 Master socket, from the DSL tabs behind the master socket using 4 wire twisted pair telephone cable a run of approximately 12m to an extension socket.

I'm waiting for a RJ45 to BT plug cable to be delivered I can then try the Fritzbox at the new socket. I haven't looked at the stats (if available) on the HH5.

Glenn
--------------------

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2016, 20:18:28 »
The connection stats are available on the HH5
Steve
------------

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.