Author Topic: Billion 7800DXL Orange port lights  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
Re: Billion 7800DXL Orange port lights
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 20:58:06 »
Yes, there's a few threads about it on the Billion forums (which, incidentally, I initially thought was about washing machines!), but nothing in the way of a solution.

I've asked on AVForums, but in doing so, I've realised that the machine (a Panasonic DMR-XW380) is older than I had realised, dating back to 2010.  :red:  Did Gigabit connections exist then?  Even so, surely, if it was capable of showing data channels then (Vintage TV is what I'm trying to get) then it should be able to do so now.  This, incidentally, is in addition to the failing of the Yamaha BD-S1067 Bluray (which, again, is older than I thought!) to play ball with YouTube, but I am assuming the issues are connected.  Perhaps both devices are too old?   :-\
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 21:22:39 »
If you connect your PC to these other ports what connection speed does it negotiate , i.e. if this was a router issue it would stay orange unlike the green light you get on your usual PC router port.

Green.   ::) :slap:
Simon.
--

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 21:37:25 »
I wonder if an Amazon Fire stick or Chromecast Dongle might be useful , they both I believe will stream Youtube and Bbc iPlayer. They both need an HDMI socket.
Steve
------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 21:46:14 »
Yeah, I've looked at those, Steve, and actually pre-ordered an Amazon Fire stick, but changed my mind.  The HDMI socket would be a problem, as I already have a splitter which is full.  I could get a splitter with more ports, but it also needs a power point, which is another issue!  I may have a look at reconfiguring my set up, and perhaps get rid of some components which aren't used much to free up some space and sockets.
Simon.
--

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 23:17:36 »
I know it is something of an admission of defeat Simon, but on occasion I've had to speak to Billion support. They are UK based and are really helpful. The first thing they will ask you however is if you have the latest firmware. You can check that from the basic info in the router and compare with their site. I think you should be on version 2.32d.dh2
Once that is done they may well be able to assist you further.
FWIW all the lights indicating connected ethernet cables on my 7800N are orange.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 23:50:10 »
That's interesting, Steven, so even the port connected to your computer is orange?  I believe the router is set to auto update the firmware but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check that. 
Simon.
--

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 00:02:22 »
Simon.
--

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 05:46:55 »
They are useful if you have multiple devices at one location, you then only need one cable back to the router. Or if you only have one gigabit port on the router and multiple gigabit devices
Steve
------------

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 19:20:28 »
Simon the Panasonic box is about the same age as mine (DMR-XS380) and am pretty sure it's just a 100 Meg connection.

I don't think adding a switch is going to help in this case personally.

Assuming you get a green light when you connect your PC to any of the ports it does sound like the other devices are the issue.

HOWEVER

I'd try resetting the router back to factory settings and see if that helps.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.