Author Topic: Call Barring vs Choose to refuse  (Read 1957 times)

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
Call Barring vs Choose to refuse
« on: Oct 29, 2014, 15:19:14 »
We've started getting calls from one of these shysters who says he's from your ISP and you have a virus/windows problem/internet problem etc etc.
Obviously I just hang up but the same number has called a couple more times but picking up the phone there is nobody there.
It always (according to 1471) is the same number, so I'm looking at blocking it.
I notice that all the features are available on my IDNet phone line at additional charge so if this continues can somebody explain what the difference is between "Choose to Refuse" and "Call Barring". I just want to block these clowns so they can't even connect to my number.
I assume you can arrange for these features to be switched on/off on a monthly basis, you don't have to sign up for the whole year? (I pay my IDNet subs annually)

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Re: Call Barring vs Choose to refuse
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2014, 15:49:54 »
Depending on what phone you have, it may have a call blocking function, or something like a CPR Call Blocker (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160893575994?clk_rvr_id=721813796374) would pay for itself in 12 months.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2014, 16:06:57 »
I have CPR Call Blocker, and find it quite effective, although, I do seem to sometimes have to enter a number more than once to get the block to 'stick'.
Simon.
--

Offline Baz

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2014, 16:50:06 »
I have an answer machine and just screen any calls...usually these type of callers dont even leave a message.

Unfortunately the big mistake some people make is just picking up the phone to answer thinking its a genuine call, all that does is let them know the line is active so they try again later.   >:(

Offline J!ll

• Forum Star
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2014, 17:22:06 »
I too have an answering machine, works for me!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2014, 18:12:57 »
But an answer machine still answers the call, thus confirming to the caller that the line is live. 
Simon.
--

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2014, 22:26:09 »
But an answer machine still answers the call, thus confirming to the caller that the line is live. 
But they don't know if I'm live at the time! :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2014, 22:43:57 »
The CPR Callblocker is worth its weight in gold.  Not much gets past that.  If a number is refusing to block, it's probably been spoofed so that the number showing on the phone display is incorrect.  To overcome that problem, make sure **7#0# and **7#6*# are enabled. 

Offline stevenrw

• Super Netter
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2014, 23:06:19 »
Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond. I'm hearing from you all that buying a call blocker (or, by inference, perhaps a new phone with call blocking) is preferable to using a paid for call blocking service both in terms of effectiveness and cost over the long term.
The issue I have at the moment seems, for the moment at least, to have gone away, but should it return I'll definitely investigate the call blocker.
Just one more question however. Assuming I have the blocker set to stop all overseas calls, which is where so much of these nuisance calls originate, does that mean that the caller will get a "number unobtainable" response, and my phone will not ring? Does it record a log of what calls were blocked?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2014, 23:15:53 »
The CPR Callblocker is worth its weight in gold.  Not much gets past that.  If a number is refusing to block, it's probably been spoofed so that the number showing on the phone display is incorrect.  To overcome that problem, make sure **7#0# and **7#6*# are enabled. 

What do those codes do, Clive?  I've somehow managed to mislay the manual at the moment.   :red:
Simon.
--

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2014, 23:19:05 »
Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond. I'm hearing from you all that buying a call blocker (or, by inference, perhaps a new phone with call blocking) is preferable to using a paid for call blocking service both in terms of effectiveness and cost over the long term.
The issue I have at the moment seems, for the moment at least, to have gone away, but should it return I'll definitely investigate the call blocker.
Just one more question however. Assuming I have the blocker set to stop all overseas calls, which is where so much of these nuisance calls originate, does that mean that the caller will get a "number unobtainable" response, and my phone will not ring? Does it record a log of what calls were blocked?

I'm not sure what response the caller receives, if any, but my phone still flashes a 'missed call', even though it doesn't actually ring, when a blocked number tries to call.
Simon.
--

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2014, 00:34:39 »
I find they usually leave me alone for a few weeks if I can get them to put the phone down on me :angel: I've not lost yet ;D
zap
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:20:28 »
It's difficult to offend a robot though.  Those are the ones that seem to plague me. 
Simon.
--

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2014, 14:33:33 »
We don't get those, we just get the 'ISP' calling to advise on virus removal. The last one went apoplectic, put the phone down on me and then rang back continually for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure if it was because I insulted his mother, his lack of a father or his goat but I've not had a call since :dunno:
zap
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2014, 15:55:56 »
You knew his goat?  :)x
Simon.
--

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2014, 17:00:24 »
Not in the biblical sense but I might have suggested the did :eek4:
zap
--------------------

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2014, 22:08:47 »

The caller will hear a brief ringing after which the line goes dead. 

What do those codes do, Clive?  I've somehow managed to mislay the manual at the moment.   :red:

I had a number coming through that I had blocked so I contacted them to find out what went wrong.  They explained about spoof calls and gave me those codes to block them.  The good news is that they work. 

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2014, 22:10:38 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2014, 22:19:50 »
Thanks Clive!  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2014, 11:17:11 »
My phone blocks calls, they dont show as missed so thats good, and I get so few nuisance calls anyway the answer phone sorts out any other unknowns. I make a habit of never giving out my number unless its absolutely necessary though and I make sure I tick the all say no to spam calls from whoever I deal with.

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:40:41 »
For reference as far as the CPR Callblocker is concerned, here is a full list of additional blocking codes.

* * 7 # (beep) 7 * # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL WITHHELD/PRIVATE calls
* * 7 # (beep) * # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL INTERNATIONAL/OUT OF AREA calls
* * 7 # (beep) 6 * # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL VOIP/IP ROGUE DIALLER calls
* * 7 # (beep) # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL UNAVAILABLE/UNKNOWN calls
* * 7 # (beep) 0 # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL '0' DIGIT SPOOF calls
* * 7 # (beep) 0 0 # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL INTERNATIONAL NUMBERS WITH CALLER ID calls

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:45:34 »
* * 7 # (beep) 0 # (beep) = BLOCKS ALL '0' DIGIT SPOOF calls

Never heard of those!  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Offline J!ll

• Forum Star
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:49:29 »
But they don't know if I'm live at the time! :D

:laugh:   :thumb:  Still gets rid of them as they will not speak! job done as I don't want to speak with them either.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2014, 14:45:28 »
We don't get those, we just get the 'ISP' calling to advise on virus removal. The last one went apoplectic, put the phone down on me and then rang back continually for about 20 minutes. I'm not sure if it was because I insulted his mother, his lack of a father or his goat but I've not had a call since :dunno:
We use to get PPI robots call our bank. We did get a lot of fake credit card terminal "testing" staff calls at one shop. Worse thing was, certain staff fell for it.  :slap:
Currently we get calls for "your accounts department". I tell them we take orders only, and if they wish to place an order I can help. Then read out our stock list (I can do so forever, it's a lot of stock). They still don't get the hint, and ask to speak to accounts. So now I just give them our premium rate line to call to discuss whatever they wish... ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline john

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2014, 18:49:22 »
I think I'll get one of these call barring devices as the number of nuisance calls seem to be increasing.

Then again there's always this alternative

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.