Author Topic: Linux suggestions, please...  (Read 2509 times)

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
Linux suggestions, please...
« on: Mar 02, 2014, 00:44:08 »
As an experiment and learning project, I'd like to install a version of Linux on my ancient Laptop, alongside the current Windows XP Pro operating system and wondered if anyone could suggest something suitable?
It's an old Gateway M325 Laptop, Intel Celeron M 1.5GHz Processor, 2GB Ram (the maximum it will take) only a 40GB Hard Drive, of which just over half is currently in use.
I've looked at the bewildering array of different versions available and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction?
Perhaps a starting point to play around with something that will fit with the limited disk space I have and let me discover what I can and can't do in comparison to what I'm able to do in Windows. I can supply further details of current Windows Programs I use if it helps at all.

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
Re: Linux suggestions, please...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:37:59 »
I'd suggest you try a "live DVD" distribution first, then you don't have to install anything. It'll be very much slower and less responsive than a hard drive install, but it'll give you a flavour of what you can do.

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:09:29 »
Yes, I'm happy to try the "live DVD" route initially, it's more a case of which one(s) to try, given my lack of disk space, an old machine and no experience of Linux.
I looked at Lubuntu this morning - would this be a reasonable place to start, or could someone suggest a few others?

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2014, 12:27:58 »
I like Puppy Linux for a small distro, and Mint for most other stuff. But I'm no expert and my usage is probably less than 1 day a year. :P
There are super small distros too, I've tried those, at 32mb or 128mb in size. :)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2014, 15:05:16 »
I installed Linux Minx 13 (Maya) xfce on an old hp desk top and it works well.

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=18

I did have to try various builds of Linux mint until I found one that worked "out of the box" so to speak. But this one is supported until 2017.

xfce works well on older low spec hardware.

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2014, 16:55:21 »
I have been playing around with Linux Mint 16 Petra Xfce for most of the day from a USB stick...it seems ok so far - I've changed various screens and settings, Internet access and email is working and I've dabbled here and there without coming across any problems.
After saving, it's occupying 5.1 GB on my USB Drive.
I'm still finding it hard to contemplate a complete change from Windows until I'm sure that I can find equivalent Linux Programs to cover all the things I do currently, but I'm progressing slowly.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2014, 20:23:50 »
Yeah, amazing what they can do considering Windows 8 is like 13GB at least. Add to that some Printer drivers are bigger than some Linux Distros (before and after install :P ).

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2014, 17:20:14 »
I hit my first problem when trying to install my Printer - the software found it and offered either a driver to download, or a local driver.
I tried both ways several times and each started but eventually "froze" and never completed. There were no error messages so I just had to close down the application.
Am I doing something wrong?
(For reference, it's a Canon Pixma MP600).

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2014, 17:29:52 »

They're not particularly Linux friendly, those. :(

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2014, 18:18:56 »
Oh...that doesn't sound so good, maybe I've hit a dead-end then...
I found this http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MP_series/PIXMA_MP600.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-742611&page=1&type=download on the Canon website, but not sure what an "rpm" file is - is this file is a print driver file, is there a way of importing it into Linux Mint and then using it somehow?

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2014, 19:17:17 »
I hit my first problem when trying to install my Printer - the software found it and offered either a driver to download, or a local driver.
I tried both ways several times and each started but eventually "froze" and never completed. There were no error messages so I just had to close down the application.
Am I doing something wrong?
Most hardware is going to be a struggle to either find out if it has drivers or find them even when it does. While some say "it just works", this is of cause anecdotal, and not representative. Especially as I've noted for me, it seems around 50/50 for if Linux gets the drivers for the hardware. :(

Also, I still to this day don't know how you "install" things in linux. It can get rather complicated if it's not from a managed installer. :(

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2014, 19:34:22 »
Update...I attempted to add the Printer again and this time it seems to have worked!
Apart from an error message saying "There is a missing print filter" within the Ink/Toner Levels category (which I'm not too fussed about) I think I'm sorted.
So I'll keep going and see what happens next when I try something else...

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2014, 19:49:11 »
Some success with your printer then.

If you look around the linux forums, there still seems to be two areas that mean Linux is still for techie folk. Printers very rarely seem to work, especially Canon. HP and Brother seem to be resonably well supported although I have no experience of them. The second area is sound, where many people seem to struggle getting sound to work on different distro's.

I have an old Canon i850 and I cannot get that to work on Mint at all.

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2014, 20:37:15 »
Yes, the printer is working fine, the only thing I can't check is the level of the ink cartridges, because of this "missing print filter" file, but I can check the cartridges on the printer's display if I need to.
Strangely, when I look back at the earlier link I posted to the Canon page, it's described as a Print Filter Driver, but whether (or how) to download it into Mint is beyond my knowledge...maybe I'm lucky to get this far without pushing my luck!

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2014, 21:54:24 »
I've not played with Linux for awhile but it will be possible to install that package.

Google is your friend and I would advise learning some basic Linux commands.

Here is one example.

http://namhuy.net/1207/how-to-install-rpm-packages-on-ubuntu-mint-or-debian.html
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:17:18 »
Some forums even tell you how to build your own drivers... after 10 weeks of trial and error, manual reading and programming knowledge... ;)  :swoon:

Offline nowster

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2014, 18:48:51 »
If Canon offer it in .deb format, all the better.

Offline peterbeaumont

• Regular Netter
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2014, 11:51:28 »
Just a final note...I played around with half a dozen different variations and eventually installed Linux Lite 1.0.8 'Amethyst' 32bit.
It just seemed to be the one that worked best for me and I now have it running alongside my Windows XP installation until I explore it more thoroughly - but up to press, it's working well.
Thank you to everyone for your help.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.