Author Topic: Do Chromebooks have a future?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline camdave

• Regular Netter
Do Chromebooks have a future?
« on: Sep 05, 2013, 07:26:18 »
I am tempted to buy a Chromebook to replace my old re-con XP laptop; at around £200 they seem good value. Has anyone bought or used one of these?

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
Re: Do Chromebooks have a future?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2013, 09:12:57 »
Personally I like the idea of programs being on my computer, that much cloud computing with basically your whole OS being in the cloud kinda scare me. I think one day, but maybe now a bit limited as you can install say Microsoft office etc, its Google or nothing else pretty much. You could install Linux on it >:D

Offline JohnH

• Ultimate Netter
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 20:16:26 »
I have a Samsung Chromebook and I bought it on Amazon for £189 in September.  Boots up in 10 seconds and long battery life.
Google Docs are compatible with Office and plenty of Cloud Storage. Keyboard is pretty much full size and sound and screen definition is very acceptable.

I haven't run across any negatives yet.

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2013, 20:36:57 »
Ha ha, just wait till the ads start  :evil:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2013, 20:54:02 »
I've never used one.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2013, 22:54:50 »
I will almost certainly buy one when my beloved netbook packs in.  I just cannot get on with my iPad.  :-\

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2013, 22:57:17 »
In what way?
Simon.
--

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2013, 23:02:36 »
It doesn't understand me.   ;D 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2013, 23:09:19 »
It must be the accent.  ;D
Simon.
--

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2013, 23:13:36 »
Quite likely!   :laugh:  A friend of Mrs Clive gave me a few hours tuition a couple of weeks ago but I'm just not comfortable with it. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2013, 23:29:22 »
I have to admit, I have one of the first ones, and I don't find it easy to type on, but I think I'd find the same with any tablet. 
Simon.
--

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:45:56 »
I have to admit, I have one of the first ones, and I don't find it easy to type on, but I think I'd find the same with any tablet. 
I found in the case I use, the keyboard is fine to type with, but it took a while to get used. I also use my iMacs keyboard with it if needed but tbh I find voice dictation works well enough 9/10 times. Interesting to see PC sales have fallen yet again. While there is a market for desktop computers more and more people are using tablets as that suits there needs more. I think it would be easier if people though of apps as programs, then maybe it would make more sense to them.

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2013, 10:34:31 »
Personally I'd go for the extra £50-£100 and get a full laptop.
http://www.ebuyer.com/544437-toshiba-satellite-pro-c50-a-166-laptop-pscg7e-00y002en
As there is space for films etc on that 500gb drive. Should still boot up real fast with hybernation in Windows 8 or if you don't like 8 get a laptop with Ubuntu on. :P

PS, or this one:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-v5-121-11-6-laptop-21286173-pdt.html
But it's absolute bare spec there.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2013, 13:09:45 »
I've just switched from using laptops to an Apple Air. I considered a Chromebook and even looked at importing a Chromebook Pixel mainly for the display. I also looked at various tablets and came close to buying a Sony Xperia. In the end though I went for the new iPad Air. It was a gamble but so far it suits me really well and I find I spend more time on that than I do on my PC.

My only grumble is that retina displays really do highlight how many websites don't embrace modern web standards. Non-responsive sites that use dithered backgrounds instead of css3 gradients and low quality sprites look terrible.
zap
--------------------

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2013, 09:05:55 »
I've just switched from using laptops to an Apple Air. I considered a Chromebook and even looked at importing a Chromebook Pixel mainly for the display. I also looked at various tablets and came close to buying a Sony Xperia. In the end though I went for the new iPad Air. It was a gamble but so far it suits me really well and I find I spend more time on that than I do on my PC.

My only grumble is that retina displays really do highlight how many websites don't embrace modern web standards. Non-responsive sites that use dithered backgrounds instead of css3 gradients and low quality sprites look terrible.
Is your screen ok? There is a huge thread about yellowing to one side and a bookspine effect on Apples forums, look like the iPad 3 all over again sadly for some. I'll wait till the ipad 6 hopefully then it may get some more ram, and damn if im updating a iPad 4 which works fine  ;D I may flog my iMac while its still worth something though, I really dont need its capabilities, and a 128GB iPad would be great.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013, 09:10:14 by Gary »

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2013, 15:21:00 »
Mine seems fine so far and it has had a real thrashing. Hopefully if there is a fault it would have shown itself by now :fingers:
zap
--------------------

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2013, 17:16:19 »
Mine seems fine so far and it has had a real thrashing. Hopefully if there is a fault it would have shown itself by now :fingers:
Its the screen Zap many people have reported discolouration, thats why I asked. Glad yours is ok. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5515024 heres the main thread in case you are interested.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2013, 18:42:31 »
Thanks Gary. I did do a search after reading your previous post and found that thread. I then of course had to eyeball my screen to ensure I haven't miss anything ;D Luckily it still looks fine but I can see a lot of people do have defective screens.
zap
--------------------

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2013, 22:15:10 »
I can't get on with the full qwerty on a touchscreen so have switched back to the olde style numeric pad where the numbers double up as letters on my mobile but I have tried with an iPad and Nexus tab at work as we have to support them now and I really don't see the fascination.

As for Chromebooks there is only one reason Google is hell bent on selling them, it gives them more info to mine than they can shake a stick at while earning a margin on the hardware too, win win as it also means your info is harder to get out.

Anyone remember the outrage about Palladium? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next-Generation_Secure_Computing_Base

Though I'm using an Android phone I'm careful not to upload any personal details to Google.

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2013, 23:48:00 »
Though I'm using an Android phone I'm careful not to upload any personal details to Google.
I think Google has got them the moment you started using it. Better make sure I dont load any of mine up to the NSA while I think about it >:D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013, 23:51:01 by Gary »

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2013, 18:18:13 »

Welcome to my world since 1995. :D Just don't mention Geocities!
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
zap
--------------------

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2013, 20:24:27 »
I think Google has got them the moment you started using it. Better make sure I dont load any of mine up to the NSA while I think about it >:D

Yep but won't use them for my e-mail.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.