Author Topic: New Firmware Version  (Read 11706 times)

Offline Christopher

• Regular Netter
New Firmware Version
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:58 »
Hi all.Got this message when logging in to my router today (NETGEAR DGN1000)
"A New Firmware Version is Found.
Do You Want to Upgrade to the New Version Now?"

Current Version    V1.1.00.45_ww
New Version    V1.1.00.46_ww

So I clicked yes and it seemed to hang for ages so I logged out,it was then that I lost internet connection and could not log in to my router at all,I turned off the router for a couple of mins and all came back to as it was but again asking me "do I want to upgrade to new version?" I don't really fancy doing it now unless one of you guys can tell me if I was doing something wrong.Thanks for any advice. :conf:
Regards
Chris

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
Re: New Firmware Version
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 16:47:59 »
I would look at the change log to see if there are any benefits. Normally when I upgrade a router firmware I download the file to a hard drive, connect via  Ethernet cable and then ask the router to upload the firmware file. It's often best to reset a router following an upgrade.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline sparky

• Grand Netter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 19:07:44 »
The last Netgear firmware upgrade I ran on my last router, a DG834G V3, bricked the router.

Tried eveything, never came back to life.

I resolved to sticking to my previously long held principles, "if it aint broke, dont fix it!"

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 19:28:02 »
That's precisely why I still use Windows XP.   :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Christopher

• Regular Netter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 21:03:43 »
Thanks for the replies all,have to agree with sparky re "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Now where can I find a copy of windows 95? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Regards
Chris

Offline Clive

• Legendary Netter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 21:51:21 »
I felt just the same about 3.1 which was the only version I understood.  :D

Offline debborahbrega

• SOL LUCET OMNIBUS
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:33:44 »
Netgear DGN1000 firmware version V1.1.00.46_ww does not exist in download section of netgear's support. I suggest not to update automatically.    ;)

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 13:21:40 »
Netgear DGN1000 firmware version V1.1.00.46_ww does not exist in download section of netgear's support. I suggest not to update automatically.    ;)
Well its listed It fixes a UPnP security issue. So I would suggest using it. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23451/~/dgn1000-firmware-version-1.1.00.46-%28all-regions-except-north-america-and

You can download it by going to downloads selecting firmware and choosing other as region and it shows up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 13:29:58 by Gary »

Offline Christopher

• Regular Netter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:11 »
Thanks Gary but I think I'll give it a swerve for the reason I stated in my first post
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:45:16 by Christopher »
Regards
Chris

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 01:44:03 »
If you download it from the site it might work better, do a hard reset after reflashing and don't restore from aback up.

Offline Christopher

• Regular Netter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 01:47:43 »
If you download it from the site it might work better, do a hard reset after reflashing and don't restore from aback up.
Don't really want to do a factory reset as I would not have a clue how to configure it back to the idnet settings
Regards
Chris

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 08:12:58 »
Don't really want to do a factory reset as I would not have a clue how to configure it back to the idnet settings
Most routers suggest a factory reset after upgrading firmware, especially when yours is a security update I would be inclined to do it. write down the settings from your home page, all you need is your login and password, the router will do the rest automatically if you use IDNets DNS and I imagine you do. Its something that's worth learning how to do and is very easy. You just set the router off checking for connections and then after its found them enter the user name and password that are provided as I mentioned in the settings page of your idnet account. I'm sure IDNet would talk you though it if you asked support. The rest of the settings tend to take care of themselves and its a simple router.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 08:19:40 by Gary »

Offline Christopher

• Regular Netter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 18:05:36 »
Thanks again for the info Gary,seems pretty straight forward and will probably give it a go.Just two questions,if I do a factory reset,would the user name and P/W revert back to "admin" and "password" and would I have to re-enter the same or new lo gin P/W details for the wireless connection? something tells me I'm gonna regret asking these inane questions on a site where everyone seems so computer literate.  :red:
Regards
Chris

Offline Gary

• Supreme Netter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 20:53:07 »
Thanks again for the info Gary,seems pretty straight forward and will probably give it a go.Just two questions,if I do a factory reset,would the user name and P/W revert back to "admin" and "password" and would I have to re-enter the same or new lo gin P/W details for the wireless connection? something tells me I'm gonna regret asking these inane questions on a site where everyone seems so computer literate.  :red:
We all are still learning here so dont worry about asking questions  :) Not sure about IDNet provided routers but normally p/w is admin and password after a hard reset, its best to change the password, from 'password' for security after resetting. As to wireless if that has a name now (many Netgear routers now come with a name and password by default) The wireless name and password should not be the same as your IDNet login, they are just used to get you onto IDNets network. I would suggest copying down any wireless names and passwords your router has under the wireless section before hand if it already has some and they are not printed underneath the router.

If the routers wireless name is just 'Netgear' and it has no password under wireless settings I would suggest you change the wireless name from 'Netgear' and use WPA2 AES under wireless security and add your own network name and password, something like this 'F1F8AB8C703E23C7112E' for a password which is a hexadecimal one, but not this one obviously. You can go to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm and it generates random passwords, you do not have to use a really long one but the longer the safer, 8-16 characters in length is sufficient. As I said not being familiar with Netgear/IDnet provided ones if that is what you have, copy down anything you see. If you have more questions please fire away or pm me or any one else here, they are a friendly bunch.  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.