Author Topic: Gaming keyboard  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Niall

• Live-in Netter
  • Blues machine
    • Flickr gubbins
Gaming keyboard
« on: Apr 07, 2012, 00:54:30 »
My Logitech G15 was infuriating me as the keys were getting sloppy, and took next to no pressure to accidentally key in something in error, so I decided a new keyboard was in order. I've been hearing rave reviews about mechanical keyboards from everyone I know that has one.

So, a few days ago I splashed out on a Corsair vengeance K90. I paid a little more through Scan as I trust them and DPD (in this area) and as my mum was off work I had no problems with delivery.

Anyway, the keyboard is here and it's taking a lot of getting used to, and not only that you cannot tell where the capslock is when you're typing as it's all one level, and not recessed like the Logitech. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I really don't feel that this keyboard is worth anywhere near the money I paid for it (£103 inc delivery). The replacement for my G15 was the G19 and that was £144 and as I'm not a massive gamer anymore, I wasn't bothered about the LCD screen for game stats/irc/etc, so it made no sense to get that.

Anyway, the point being that if you want a mechanical keyboard, go to a shop and see if you can prod a couple of them, as this feels very flimsy when keying in anything, but oddly sturdy at the same time. Still, I have it now and it glows, which is important to me as it's normally dark in this room, and as I'm getting used to it I imagine it'll end up being okay, but it feels like learning to ride a bike again.

The G15 I'd give 8/10 and this I'd give 6/10 on first impressions.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
Re: Gaming keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2012, 02:31:47 »
I have a number of keyboards that I've used for gaming including a rather expensive Mionix Zibal 60 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. The problem I find with those types of keyboard is a) they are so very noisy and b) there's too much resistance and/or travel in the keys. I'm currently using a five quid Logitech K200 ;D
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Niall

• Live-in Netter
  • Blues machine
    • Flickr gubbins
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2012, 15:17:18 »
That's the exact thing I was hoping for; resistance in the keys so you have to mean it when you're typing. These take virtually no pressure at all. It's silent too, and really smooth. I was under the impression these keyboards made little clicking noises, akin to microswitches, but apparently not. At least not with this one anyway.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Offline zappaDPJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2012, 17:50:53 »
I just checked and found the Vengeance uses Cherry MX Red mechanical key switches which explains the lack of resistance. They are specifically designed that way (low travel, low resistance key strokes). Very few manufactures use them because they are not good for touch typists but I'd imagine they are excellent for gaming.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2012, 19:12:18 »
Niall, if you've got a PC World near you go and try one of these out http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/logik-lkbwmm11-multimedia-keyboard-black-09949600-pdt.html

It has proper deep keycaps like the keyboards of old.

Offline Niall

• Live-in Netter
  • Blues machine
    • Flickr gubbins
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2012, 20:11:34 »
Oddly enough, we use almost identical ones in work, but with a built in card reader for secure login. They are okay, just lack comfort for me. I don't actually buy expensive keyboards for any novelty (I can't afford it for a start!) but I've found that the more I've paid for them, the better they actually are. I just went with this mechanical one for a more solid feel. I'm actually pretty okay with it now as I've gotten used to the height of the keyboard, so I can touch type again.

The only reason I still had that Logitech, is the reason I bought a Corsair keyboard. They have awesome support. When my first Logitech keyboard died when my old cat knocked a can of beer over it, they just asked me to show a photo of the leads cut to pieces, and they sent me a new keyboard FREE. Corsair has similar support, so these two companies were top of the list :)

I still can't get used to caps lock being the same height as the keys though as it's easy to catch it. Now I just need a new mouse like my MX518, as the wheel is getting loose on it.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2012, 13:50:30 »
I have a 10 year old Microsoft optical mouse that is still going strong and I'll not swap it until the LED conks out as its very precise.

Offline Niall

• Live-in Netter
  • Blues machine
    • Flickr gubbins
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2012, 18:30:45 »
I used to swear by an ergonomic split keyboard  from M$, and their optical mouse. It was only when I splashed out on a decent keyboard that I realised what I was missing. Same for the mouse too. To date I've yet to find a mouse that is better than the Logitech  MX518. It has three sensitivity settings on it by the wheel mouse, which is extremely handy, and two side buttons as well as the top. The time it saves you when you program the mouse is such a cool idea, I don't know why I hadn't tried this sort of mouse before. I think I've been using it for about 6 or 7 years now. I've gone through 3 of them so far.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2012, 18:38:36 »
I can see the point of progreammable mouse buttons but I'd like to see programmable gaming keyboards/controllers deemed as cheating.

I was on XBL playing Mortal Kombat the other week and I suspect the other person was using autofire as on the character selection screen it kept playing the confirmed sound as if the button was being held down.

I backed out as I was simply using a normal wired XBox controller and so wouldn't have stood a chance.

Offline Niall

• Live-in Netter
  • Blues machine
    • Flickr gubbins
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2012, 01:13:00 »
Why are they cheating? I know the g15 WoW specific profile was as it could be used for farming, but it's nothing you can't do on a normal keyboard with a separate program. Personally I don't use them for anything other than shortcuts.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2012, 15:19:15 »
Niall.

I wasn't accussing you but when you've got some dickhead using autofire or programmed key combos how is a person supposed to comptete?

Offline Niall

• Live-in Netter
  • Blues machine
    • Flickr gubbins
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2012, 23:41:46 »
That's my point. The keyboard uses a separate program to do that, so it can be done with a normal keyboard. The gaming keyboard is just adding extra buttons to do it, making it a more simple process. The problem you have in games is people cheating. If they want to cheat they'll always do it. It's the same as scripting in counter strike. Every one did it, and some went out of their way to find a way of doing it to cheat too. The same applies here.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2012, 08:04:59 »
Fair point, you can tell I've only recently taken up gaming again can't you  ;D

Offline Technical Ben

• Live-in Netter
« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2012, 09:20:36 »
Oh, scripting drives me crazy. They do thing (in just about any game) that would be impossible for a human to do. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.