Author Topic: Linux Netbook Problem  (Read 7405 times)

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
Re: Linux Netbook Problem
« Reply #25 on: Apr 01, 2012, 16:05:28 »
Traceroute gets there in 11 hops

11 server.gutterclusterbuster.com (204.45.82.194)  185.487 ms 86.723 ms 194.705 ms

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2012, 09:29:49 »
Think I might chuck Win 7 Home Premium on it today :laugh:

Offline D-Dan

• Master Netter
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2012, 10:24:48 »
will it update in the terminal?

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2012, 10:48:31 »
Too late Dan at the moment currently got Win 7 Ultimate on it, working fine as you can see after install of wireless driver

I'm on my hols at the mo so will try Mint(Quite like Mint) again today, it could be that installing Windows might have fixed the problem? Straws and clutching

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2012, 11:17:32 »
Found my disc of Mint 11 so chucking that on at the mo

That worked perfectly last time so I see no reason why it shouldn't work again :thumb:

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #30 on: Apr 02, 2012, 12:39:38 »
Ha, success, now updating a treat. Will try to update to 12 and see what happens

Will also go grab a stick of 4gb memory and try that to see if it works without any adverse effects

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #31 on: Apr 03, 2012, 07:13:49 »
4gb stick wouldn't boot

Appears I can't update to 12 from 11, so shall I risk another attempt at 12 I wonder?

Thanks for all your help everyone, especially D-Dan

Offline D-Dan

• Master Netter
« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2012, 14:00:36 »
You should be able to update with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
However, many people using Mint have decided to stick with 11 rather than 12, simply because it's nicer :)
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #33 on: Apr 03, 2012, 14:05:29 »
You should be able to update with:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
However, many people using Mint have decided to stick with 11 rather than 12, simply because it's nicer :)

The thing that really bugs me is the keyring, which pretty much makes it impossible for my other half to use it lol

Thanks for the commands, will get stuck into those in a mo

Offline D-Dan

• Master Netter
« Reply #34 on: Apr 03, 2012, 14:55:58 »
The keyring shouldn't prevent her using it. If you have set her up with her own account it's likely that it will be a normal user account. You can add that account to the list of sudo users by editing the sudoers file, but don't do it directly. Instead, do:

sudo visudo
Assuming the user name is "normaluser" (change to suit), in the new editor (it's probably a terminal editor based on vim) using the arrow keys to scroll to the section headed ## User privilege specification and add an entry in this section:

normaluser ALL=(ALL) ALL
Save the file by presseng Esc followed by :x!

Voila - the normaluser account should now be able to use sudo to perform tasks needing administrative privileges (provided you pass on the password, of course).

As I said - replace "normaluser" with the actual account name.
Have I lost my way?

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #35 on: Apr 03, 2012, 18:28:07 »
You're losing me now Dan

Offline D-Dan

• Master Netter
« Reply #36 on: Apr 03, 2012, 18:31:20 »
lol - OK - baby steps. How does your partner normally log on to your machine to use it? Do you share the same user account or have separate user accounts?
Have I lost my way?

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #37 on: Apr 03, 2012, 19:01:08 »
lol - OK - baby steps. How does your partner normally log on to your machine to use it? Do you share the same user account or have separate user accounts?

Share the same account, the problem being she will have to manually select the wireless network with the icon at the bottom and use the keyring password to get the wireless working. Far too tricky

As another issue, I did try 12 again this afternoon as a live session, it still won't access the net even though I manually configure the IP's as I have in 11

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 19:04:33 by FritzBox »

Offline D-Dan

• Master Netter
« Reply #38 on: Apr 03, 2012, 23:34:22 »
Ok - assuming that you stick with 11, to solve the logging on thing with wireless:

Right click the network icon to pop open the menu and open the main interface
Select your wireless network and choose the "Edit" button
In the new window that opens are two checkboxes, one at the top "Connect automatically" and one at the bottom "Allow anyone to use" (Or something like that). Make sure that they are both checked.
Save (if necessary) and close. In future you shouldn't have to do anything to connect wirelessly. It should all now be automatic.

NB. I don't actually use a network manager, so I'm working from memory a lot here. It should be enough to get you looking in the right place, even if I've not got it exactly right, though.

re v!2 not working - do you know what wireless adapter/chipset you have? It may be that the firmware has been dropped and you need to copy it back.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 23:39:05 by D-Dan »
Have I lost my way?

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #39 on: Apr 04, 2012, 07:25:21 »
Ok - assuming that you stick with 11, to solve the logging on thing with wireless:

Right click the network icon to pop open the menu and open the main interface
Select your wireless network and choose the "Edit" button
In the new window that opens are two checkboxes, one at the top "Connect automatically" and one at the bottom "Allow anyone to use" (Or something like that). Make sure that they are both checked.
Save (if necessary) and close. In future you shouldn't have to do anything to connect wirelessly. It should all now be automatic.

NB. I don't actually use a network manager, so I'm working from memory a lot here. It should be enough to get you looking in the right place, even if I've not got it exactly right, though.

re v!2 not working - do you know what wireless adapter/chipset you have? It may be that the firmware has been dropped and you need to copy it back.

All sorted now, well done Dan and thanks. Best I leave it alone now and stop playing

As for 12 it's a Broadcom chipset. It doesn't seem to have any problems connecting to the router, it's just getting online it seems to have trouble with

Offline D-Dan

• Master Netter
« Reply #40 on: Apr 04, 2012, 09:17:41 »
As for 12 it's a Broadcom chipset. It doesn't seem to have any problems connecting to the router, it's just getting online it seems to have trouble with

Installing b43-fwcutter may help, though no guarantees. Whenever I see wireless problems on the forums, it's not uncommon for the name "Broadcom" to be in there, too. Perosnally, I use a Ralink PCI wireless card, and all I had to do was copy the .fw file to /libs/firmware and it just worked. If only all chipsets were as co-operative.
Have I lost my way?

Offline Glenn

• Former Staff
    • WRRacing
« Reply #41 on: Apr 04, 2012, 09:30:32 »
With Mint 10 and my Dell Mini 9, I used ndiswrapper to install the wireless card driver (a windows version)

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23830.msg565816.html#msg565816
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2012, 09:34:19 by Glenn »
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 18:23:48 »
Just stuck Mint 13 Maya rc on it. No problems what so ever, weird

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.