Author Topic: Resets on 2700 V6  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Tacitus

• Master Netter
Resets on 2700 V6
« on: Mar 10, 2012, 11:44:38 »
In the diagnostics section of my 2700 (Firmware 6.1.1.48.1) there are two alternatives:

Reset Broadband:-   Re-establishes your broadband link (physical and logical)
Reset System:-     Reboots your system

What is the practical difference between them and, are there any advantages to one or the other?  Am I correct in thinking that one (Reset/Reboot) will leave the DSL line connected whilst making a new PPP connection whilst the other (Reset/Re-establish) will do both?

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
Re: Resets on 2700 V6
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2012, 14:07:40 »
Hi Tac

Reset Broadband will break the PPP session, reset the modem and will then resync and reestablish PPP

Reset System reboots and reloads the firmware.

Offline Tacitus

• Master Netter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2012, 14:30:02 »
Reset Broadband will break the PPP session, reset the modem and will then resync and reestablish PPP

By 'reset the modem' do you mean it will re-establish the link at a different SNR or doesn't it make any difference?  Would one or the other make any difference if re-booting after a particular noise event?

PS sorry about the typo on the topic heading - feel free to amend it to read "Resets"   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2012, 14:33:11 »
PS sorry about the typo on the topic heading - feel free to amend it to read "Resets"   ;D

Done.  ;)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline pctech

• Power Netter
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2012, 15:29:59 »
I gather from others here its advisable to do a resync when SNR is high, as SNR is regulated by the BRAS the router will have no influence over it.

Prob best to wait for a 2700 expert to come along as I'm a Netgear user and on my router you can break and reestablish PPP without reysncing as you have disconnect/reconnect buttons along with a reboot one that reboots the firmware and causes a reynch.

Offline kinmel

• Netter Nutter
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2012, 17:09:29 »

Reset broadband - does a full reset of dsl line to give a new sync rate and an new PPP session - equivalent to taking out the RJ11 cable and re-inserting it.

Reset system -  the equivalent of powering down the router and doing a restart, which takes a lot longer.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Offline Tacitus

• Master Netter
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2012, 17:30:15 »
Reset system -  the equivalent of powering down the router and doing a restart, which takes a lot longer.

Thanks Alan.  I've been doing resets following a series of major noise events and I began to wonder why it was taking so long to come up again.  That explains it.

Thanks to all for the info.   

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.