Author Topic: Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users  (Read 13849 times)

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
If any Windows only users wished to harvest the statistics from the HG612 FTTC modem and graph them (without the need to install a Linux shell program), see this post in the Kitz forum:-
Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users

It includes the link to the download site.

The downloadable zip file includes a minor update to GRAPH6.BAT from yesterday (19th January).

The only change from the previous version is that it now displays any older 8c profile snapshot graphs using the 2000 tone x-axis rather than the 17a profile 4100 tone x-axis, so only really of any use if users wished to re-plot any older 8c profile logs using different colours for DS, US & shared/unspecified tone Band Plans.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
Re: Huawei HG612 Modem - Stats & Graphs for Windows Users
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:51:33 »
Thanks.Is there any information available with regard the comprehension and the possible uses of these graphs?
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:32:50 »
Hi Steve,

Well, the "snapshot" graphs provide similar details to the old DMT.EXE program as used for ADSL connections.
i.e. Sync Speeds, Attainable Rates, Band Plans in use, bit-loading, attenuation, SNRM, QLN etc.

The "ongoing" graphs provide similar details to RouterStats.
i.e. reporting changes to sync speeds, SNRM, error counts, connection up time, interleaving etc.

The raw data (text files) for both sets of graphs also includes a lot more detail that isn't currently plotted, but may be useful anyway.

I personally found the graphs very useful in identifying massive error counts and frequent re-syncs that were simply not detected via my own ISP's logs.
That prompted yet another engineer's visit that has actually addressed some of my connection's instability by replacing approximately 100m of external drop wire from the next-but-one telgraph pole.

To gather the data and plot the graphs, the HG612 modem does need to be unlocked.
This is obviously an unofficial process and users need to consider that they may actually end up in breach of BT's Ts & Cs for the use of their equipment.
However, as there is currently absolutely no other way for users to see their own stats, whenever they wish to see them, for their own connections that they are paying for..................

I'm not the person with the technical skills to fully interpret the various statistics.
However, there are plenty of others (in various forums) who could do that much better than I.
I could assist with explanations of what the various batch files actually do though.

In layman's terms though, graphs with nice straight(ish) lines, evenly spread bit-loading & blank error count plots signify a good connection, & then there is my own connection....... :bawl:

The couple of examples in the other thread ( http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28160.0.html ) show the differences between good & not so good connections.

Paul.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012, 10:38:50 by Bald_Eagle1 »

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:26:51 »
Thanks Paul. :thumb: I've not looked at the graph programs yet I wonder if they work under Mac OS X? Could always try Wine I suppose.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012, 11:30:34 by Steve »
Steve
------------

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:38:34 »
Hi Steve,

I would imagine NOT diectly in Mac OS X as they use some quite specific MS WINDOWS calls.

Very early in their development the batch files worked with Windows versions of gnuplot & Imagemagick (freely downloadable) in a Windows VM on a Linux box.

I don't really know anything about Mac OS X or Wine.

Might just be worth a try though - Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you did give it a try, I would be very interested in any feedback you could offer (even if it is NO - THEY DON't WORK with Macs).

Paul.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:42:57 »
Do I need some data to test them out? I've used Wine occassionally to 'wrap' windows programs I find it a bit hit and miss though. VM is probably the surest way especially if they work under Linux.
Steve
------------

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2012, 12:07:13 »
If you wished to PM me with an email address, or tell me how to upload them somewhere, I could send you some example data logs for both sets of graphs.

My "ongoing" log from 27th November is 15Mb in size, & the "snapshot" logs are roughly 330 KB in size.

If it's too large, I could chop a load out of the "ongoing" log if that would assist.

The batch files use typical Unix utilities, but they do need to be the Windows versions.

All the setting up instructions & download links are included in a couple of text files in the zip file download (INSTRUCT.TXT & README.TXT).

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:51:20 »
Update 28/01/2012:

Despite trying many times, I have been unable to get the HG612 to synchronise with any online time servers.

I have been manually setting the modem’s internal time (used for it’s built-in logs) by running PuTTy to access the sh shell, working out the time & date format & entering something at the prompt on the lines of:-

date -s 121808182011.36     (MMDDhhmmYYYY.ss)

to get this result:-

Sun Dec 18 08:18:36 UTC 2011

The modem’s internal ongoing time is maintained following “on the fly” re-syncs but is lost following a reboot / power cut etc.

To speed this up, I have now added another batch file named SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT to the main download zip file.

If setting up the batch files from scratch, this new batch file will be already included in the default Scripts folder ( C:\HG612_Modem_stats\Scripts )

If already fully set up, simply extract SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT to the Scripts folder.

A double-click on this new batch file will automatically pick up the Windows system time, add a few seconds to allow for auto-login to the HG612 & processing time, reset the modem’s internal clock & quit.

There is no need to be logged in to the HG612’s GUI, although no harm is done if you are already logged in.

The resulting time reset isn’t exactly correct (it might end up a few seconds out), but it’s near enough.
It’s certainly a lot closer than some date in the year 2000 that is normally recorded in the in-built modem log.

Paul.

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2012, 00:38:58 »
Update 29/01/2012:

I have now added some setting up instructions that include some screenshots to the main download zip file (hg612_wingraphs.zip):-

These instructions are named Setting_Up_Instructions.pdf

The PDF file can also be viewed/downloaded on its own at the main download site:-

Huawei HG612 Graphing Scripts

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:13:53 »
Thanks Paul , it does read better than the previous set. Just one point with regard the readme.text, the list rightly gives explanation and acknowledgement, I did wonder whether an initial list of the programs with urls required would help the lazier amongst on us from ploughing through the various component utilities to get to the GNU textutils url for instance. :dunno:
Steve
------------

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:34:04 »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback.

You make a very good point there.
I should have known better as I never usually read instructions & manuals myself.  :blush: :slap:

If I can't suss out a bit of software by just installing it & using it straight away, I usually ditch it  :laugh:

TBH, It's not that often that I bother to fully read end user licences either.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with explanations etc. & instead just said do this, do that & bang! - enjoy  :)

I have never released any software publicly before. As most of it wasn't written by me, I thought that legally I had to say what it was & where it all came from up front.

That also why I didn't actually include the other download programs in my zip file.
It would have made it all a lot easier all round If I had done though.

Paul.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:48:07 »
I think the explanations  and acknowledgements given in the readme text are probably right and proper. My plan for installing this package ( when I find that spare modem on ebay) would be initially to download all the components first to temp folder and then go through the install process hence my suggestion of an initial component list in the modern fashion of a quick read me & install with a second complete explanation and detail available for reference purposes.

The later probably covers any licence and acknowledgement  issues and I agree if you package it all as a single zip you may be contravening an individual software distribution licence.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 09:54:33 by Steve »
Steve
------------

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2012, 13:22:21 »
I have now checked out the licence & copyright terms & conditions for all the components.
It appears that I can now package everything together in one download zip file.

I have also been putting together a very simple to use setup procedure.

Basically, after downloading one file & unzipping it, a double-click sets everything up for plotting "snapshot" graphs.

For the time being, full versions of the other programs/utilities are included.
This could be useful as they can be used for many other purposes.
The downside is that together they take up quite a bit of disk storage space.
At some stage, I might release a "Lite" version that includes just enough for HG612 graphing purposes, but that might not be too soon.

Another double-click now sets up Windows Task Scheduler to harvest statistics 24/7 (optional).
A couple of other clicks ensure Task Scheduler is set for different Windows versions & password implications.

Another double-click stops the 24/7 logging whenever it is no longer required.

I have chosen not to automate the graphing itself, as not everyone would wish to plot graphs all the time & some would wish to plot them at events such as modem re-syncs/reboots etc.
It just takes a double-click whenever graphs are required.

I hope to release the simplified setup file(s), along with some included updates to the existing scripts, during next week, following a little more testing to ensure compatibility between Windows versions XP, Vista & Windows 7.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2012, 13:57:57 »
Sounds great.  Looking forward to trying this out as I've a spare modem on the way.
Steve
------------

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:27:17 »
Update 20/02/2012:

The new simplified setting up process, along with updated batch files (HG612_wingraphs.zip) has now been uploaded to:-

Huawei HG612 Graphing Scripts

After downloading the zip file, the whole process now only takes a few minutes.

Please also see  “Setting_Up_Instructions_v2.pdf”  which is located on the same web page as the download.
For future reference it is also included in the download zip file.

For a quick start, unzip HG612_wingraphs.zip into any folder of your choice & double-click “START.BAT”.

Everything will be initially set up on your C: drive & ready for you to generate “snapshot” graphs by double clicking “Teststats2.BAT” which is located in the folder named “C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts”.

You may also wish to set the HG612 modem’s internal clock (used for its own inbuilt event logs).
If so, double-click “SET_HG612_DATE_AND_TIME.BAT”, also located in the folder named “C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts”.

This isn’t necessary for the graphing scripts as the Windows system time is used throughout, but it COULD be useful for cross-referencing re-sync / reboot events etc.

To optionally start/stop 24/7 every minute logging of connection stats & graph them, double-click START_LOGGING_24-7.BAT or STOP_LOGGING_24-7.BAT which are also located in the folder named “C:\HG612_Modem_Stats\Scripts”.

For these scripts to function, the HG612 modem obviously has to be “unlocked” & switched on.
For optional 24/7 logging, the PC also needs to be switched on & “active”.

The scripts have been successfully tested by me (both Ethernet connected & wirelessly) on a “reasonable” spec Windows 7 desktop PC, an old & slow Vista laptop & an almost obsolete Pentium 3 XP desktop PC running at 733MHz, with only 256MB of RAM.

The differences in processing times are noticeable, but the output graphs are identical.

A small number of other users have also tested the scripts on various specs of PC.

Please provide any feedback either publicly in this forum or via a PM.
Perhaps more importantly, please post links to the montage graphs for us all to have a look at & compare against other stats.

Initially, all the graphs are generated in “low” resolution to speed up processing time & keep output file sizes as low as possible.

With a quick edit of a batch file, a couple of “high/medium” resolution graphs can be generated.
This aspect is NOT yet fully implemented.

If/when it this facility is required, I may add an option for users to choose the resolution immediately before generating the graphs.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:45:20 »
Thanks  :thumb:
Steve
------------

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:56:50 »
@ Steve,

If you got the spare modem, I'd be very interested to know how you get on with setting up & using the scripts.

Paul.

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:56:39 »
It has arrived it's a matter of finding time,the current role of worker and carer doesn't leave much free space plus after 2 months my interleave has finally dropped back to adslmax ping rates. I will get round to it though,
Steve
------------

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2012, 12:29:36 »
My first attempt is attached -

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2012, 18:29:56 »
Hi .Griff.

My first attempt is attached -

Looking good. Shame that you didn't manage to get on the 80/20 trial (yet).

I rushed some things a bit & am not happy with the appearance of the grid in the Hlog graph. It looks too heavy.

I have updated the main download zip with a revised version of GRAPH6.BAT, but I have also sent it to you via email.

How did you find the setup process?

Paul.

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2012, 18:40:22 »
I replaced the batch file and run the script again (see attached).

As for the setup process it couldn't really be much easier. I haven't had a look at the ongoing log yet as I think I'm right in thinking you need the PC running 24/7? I could leave the laptop on overnight but my main PC (gaming rig) isn't really an option.

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2012, 18:48:53 »
I replaced the batch file and run the script again (see attached).

Personally, I think that looks a lot better.

As for the setup process it couldn't really be much easier. I haven't had a look at the ongoing log yet as I think I'm right in thinking you need the PC running 24/7? I could leave the laptop on overnight but my main PC (gaming rig) isn't really an option.

It doesn't HAVE to run 24/7.
You could easily start & stop the logging & graph the latest x number of minutes or hours etc.
Mind you, with such a good connection as yours, there probably wouldn't be that much to see  ;D

Latest 30 minutes from my connection attached...........

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2012, 18:58:55 »
I've started the logging and I'll leave it running for the evening to see what the results look like.

Offline Bald_Eagle1

• Full Netter
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2012, 19:31:57 »
I've started the logging and I'll leave it running for the evening to see what the results look like.

Cheers Griff.

Did you find the Windows Task Scheduler setup to be self explanatory?
modem_stats.log in the Ongoing_Stats subfolder is clocking up every minute, isn't it?

Also, do you usually login to Windows with a password or not?

The previous version of the scripts instructions really confused quite a few users.

BTW, did you recognise any of the names in page 1 of the setting up instructions?  ;)

Paul.

EDIT:
IF you ever wanted to plot/replot the graphs for any previous PuTTy or Plink logs, just make sure they are in a separate folder & drag & drop the log file onto the GRAPH6.BAT icon & the graphs should be generated in the same folder as the log file itself.

Also, IF you wanted to try out the HIGH or MEDIUM resolution graphs, just change this (near the top of GRAPH6.BAT):-

rem ***** SET the resolution for the graphs *****
rem ***** Options are HIGH MEDIUM or LOW

SET BITS_RES=LOW
SET SNR_RES=LOW
SET QLN_RES=LOW
SET Hlog_RES=LOW

At the moment, it only works for Bits & Hlog.

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 19:39:14 by Bald_Eagle1 »

Offline .Griff.

• Master Netter
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2012, 19:38:28 »
To be honest Paul setup is that easy now I didn't even look at the instructions pdf before you just mentioned it. I'm famous!  :blush:

As for the task scheduler setup it was very self explanatory so no issues there at all and as my PC is on a network I do use a login name and password yes.

Almost forget yep modem_stats is updating every minute and if you time it right you can see two temp files for a split second as presumably they're used to update the log each minute.

Edit - 45 minutes have elapsed so I thought I'd give the ongoing script a try. See attached.

Edit 2 - Just noticed the attainable DS figure isn't plotted on the graph due the scaling used.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 19:43:11 by .Griff. »

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.