Author Topic: New Firmware for Fritz!Box 7390  (Read 33149 times)

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
New Firmware for Fritz!Box 7390
« on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:39:10 »
Firmware Version 84.05.04 has just been released by AVM for the Fritz!Box 7390.   My box has re-synched at its old ADSL2+ settings; however, some cousins 'down under' are suggesting that their ADSL connections are slightly slower.

NB: For those not familiar with this modem/router, the box has both ADSL/FTTC connectivity as well as an integrated DECT base station, answer phone, VOIP and media server functions.

New with version 84.05.04:

Internet: New - Child protection with filters for Internetpages and utilities
Internet: New - Support for DS-Lite to connect to IPv4-adresses using native IPv6 access
Internet: automatic setup by the internet provider via TR-069 with added IPv6 support
Internet: IPv6 - new tunneling protocol RFC 5969: IPv6 Rapid Deployment on IPv4 Infrastructures (6rd)
Internet: IPv6 - Workaround: Windows 7 did not accept the same Prefix once it was invalidated without a reboot
Internet: Import of VPN-settings improved
Internet: Added support of VPN-connections to Microsoft TMG-Servers
Internet: improved DynamicDNS-registration
Internet: improved DNSSEC-support

DECT: New : FRITZ!Fon MT-F now supports English, French, German, Italian and Spanish (depending on the language configured in the FRITZ!Box Webinterface)

DECT: New - DECT repeater function, display RSS-Feeds with included pictures on FRITZ!Fon MT-F
DECT: New - use your own MP3-Ringtone on MT-F
DECT: acceleration of menues and lists, improved handling of the phonebook, caller-list and answering-machine on MT-F

Telephony: open received faxes and messages from the calls-list
Telephony: added third alarm
Telephony: signaling of missed calls on IP-telehones (MWI)
Telephony: improved fax interop (T.38)

Storage (NAS) : New - Mediaserver and home-network-sharing (smb) can be renamed
Storage (NAS) : New - Mediaserver can be restriced to certain partitions (UPnP-AC)
Storage (NAS) : New - seperate passwords for home-network-sharing and internet
Storage (NAS) : New - available FRITZ!Box shares shown in network-enviroment (smb share announcement)
Storage (NAS) : revamped UPnP-AV Mediaserver 4.0

System: New - import settings from older FRITZ!Box modules (selective)
System: New - display active phone calls or network activity on the FRITZ!Box home-screen.
System: TR-064 - Automated telephony-device setup for FRITZ!App Fon

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
Re: New Firmware for Fritz!Box 7390
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:41:11 »
 :thumb:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2011, 21:36:32 »
Router is total tosh on my ADSL Max line, nothing but resyncs

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2011, 11:29:32 »
Router is total tosh on my ADSL Max line, nothing but resyncs

Working fine here on ADSL2+. Synch rate has increased to 17.9Mbps and the box holds a pretty stable connection down to 2 SNR. (Synched for nearly 2 days now with CRC rates/min of 0.23 down and 0.19 up).  I get a re-synch about every 2 to 3 days on average. The synch drops by a couple of hundred and then the next time it increases. I am sure that I could rectify this by moving the Line Settings but I see no point given that synch speed is not really changing.

I note that there is discussion on the 'down under' website the the RC firmware holds the synch better on long/noisy lines. Others have used the recovery tool and re-installed the firmware. My only minor complaint is the odd phantom DECT phone call.

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2011, 19:04:20 »
Gone back to 84.05.04-19804

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2011, 10:36:15 »
AVM has just released firmware version 84.05.05 for the Fritz!Box 7390. Changes are as follows:

Important: This firmware is only intended for use with FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390 International Edition

Product            : FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390
 Version              : 84.05.05
 Language             : English, French, Italian, Spanish
 Annex          : A and B
 New Features       : - Child protection with filters for Internetpages and utilities
- FRITZ!Fon MT-F now supports 5 languages
- DECT repeater function, display RSS-Feeds with included pictures on FRITZ!Fon MT-F
- Support for DS-Lite to connect to IPv4-adresses using native IPv6 access

Internet: added new profiles for netherlands
Internet: fixed profiles for namibia
System: various fixed in the web interface

Upgrade via Fritz!Box rang smoothly and there is no change in my connection speeds or profile. Interesting to see if this version is as stable on ADSL2+ as its predecessor (9 days constant connection with low error rate prior to upgrade)

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2011, 20:59:47 »
AVM has just released firmware version 84.05.05 for the Fritz!Box 7390. Changes are as follows:

Important: This firmware is only intended for use with FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390 International Edition

Product            : FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390
 Version              : 84.05.05
 Language             : English, French, Italian, Spanish
 Annex          : A and B
 New Features       : - Child protection with filters for Internetpages and utilities
- DECT repeater function, display RSS-Feeds with included pictures on FRITZ!Fon MT-F

Internet: added new profiles for netherlands
Internet: fixed profiles for namibia
System: various fixed in the web interface

Upgrade via Fritz!Box rang smoothly and there is no change in my connection speeds or profile. Interesting to see if this version is as stable on ADSL2+ as its predecessor (9 days constant connection with low error rate prior to upgrade)

Thanks Ardua, will give it a try sometime this week

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:52:08 »
New firmware for the Fritz!Box 7390 has just been released. It would appear that the firmware has to be uploaded via the router firmware update (i.e.; no option any longer to download the file to the desktop).

Changes:

Product : FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390
Version : 84.05.06
Language : English, French, Italian, Spanish
Annex    : A and B
New Features    : - Child protection with filters for Internetpages and utilities

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:59:14 »
Thanks Ardua  :thumb:
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2011, 13:04:39 »
New firmware for the Fritz!Box 7390 has just been released. It would appear that the firmware has to be uploaded via the router firmware update (i.e.; no option any longer to download the file to the desktop).

Changes:

Product : FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390
Version : 84.05.06
Language : English, French, Italian, Spanish
Annex    : A and B
New Features    : - Child protection with filters for Internetpages and utilities

Thanks Ardua, just chucked it on, tho not sure I should have as it's been stable for five days now. A world record for me

Offline didahdit

• New Netter
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2011, 17:36:13 »
Still hasn't fixed the 'noise' on standard telephone line connected to Fritzbox.   Also, it still rings when the BT automatic line routiner checks the line.  As it does this at odd hours it's a nuisance so I have to connect a standard phone into the wall socket.   
Bob

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2011, 17:32:35 »
Still hasn't fixed the 'noise' on standard telephone line connected to Fritzbox.   Also, it still rings when the BT automatic line routiner checks the line.  As it does this at odd hours it's a nuisance so I have to connect a standard phone into the wall socket.   
Bob

We get a 'phantom call' comprising of 2 rings at about 2240 most Saturday nights. How have you concluded that it is a routine BT line test? I note that some 7390 owners are also experiencing this problem 'Down Under'. The German AVM site shows about 6 beta firmware changes so no doubt we will have an International release soon. AVM is aware of the 'phantom call' issue. Of possible interest, earlier this week I had a phone line fault. Line attenuation increased by 50% and I couldn't get dial tone from a corded phone nor could anyone phone in. Conversely, with the Fritz!Fons connected to the 7390 I could get a dial tone but no dial out and when I called in the Fons would ring and disconnect immediately on pick up. No idea why.

Offline didahdit

• New Netter
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2011, 18:10:27 »
We get a 'phantom call' comprising of 2 rings at about 2240 most Saturday nights. How have you concluded that it is a routine BT line test?
To be honest it's a guess based on a similar problem I had some years ago with an iffy master junction box.  BT engineer changed the box and problem disappeared.  My phantoms arrive at various times between 21.00 and 02.00.  Like yours, two rings.  Just enough to wake me up.   Doesn't happen with a standard telephone plugged into the telephone outlet.    Unfortunately, doing that disses the DECT phones which is a downer.    No good reporting to BT as it'll result in a "RWT" (Right When Tested)
Your recent attenuation problem was possibly due to an engineer working either in the exchange or a cabinet. 
The 7390 is a great box for my ADSL2 connection.  Gave me an additional 1.5 - 2 meg speed over my old Netgear 834g but the analogue voice line noise and phantom call problem knocks it down.  It's fine on SIPGate calls.
Bob

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2011, 18:41:30 »
I get around the night time odd phantom call by using the "Do not disturb" function on the Fritz! between midnight and 6am; and use a cheap phone splitter to connect both the Fritz! with its DECTs and a single phone directly to the PTSN network, which provides a workaround for the absence of CLI on the Fritz! As you say Sipgate works perfectly, which is the phone number I give out; and the PABX function to set phones to certain numbers separately for both incoming and outgoing calls, and to time certain phones to ring only at restricted hours (useful for working from home), with the dual voiceboxes, also works perfectly.

I get 10Mbps dowload sync/throughput above what the OR modem managed (though in fairness half of that I put down to BT's 17a/bandwidth improvement). Fritz managed over 15 days up before a quick resync.

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2011, 20:56:48 »
I get around the night time odd phantom call by using the "Do not disturb" function on the Fritz! between midnight and 6am; and use a cheap phone splitter to connect both the Fritz! with its DECTs and a single phone directly to the PTSN network, which provides a workaround for the absence of CLI on the Fritz! As you say Sipgate works perfectly, which is the phone number I give out; and the PABX function to set phones to certain numbers separately for both incoming and outgoing calls, and to time certain phones to ring only at restricted hours (useful for working from home), with the dual voiceboxes, also works perfectly.

I get 10Mbps dowload sync/throughput above what the OR modem managed (though in fairness half of that I put down to BT's 17a/bandwidth improvement). Fritz managed over 15 days up before a quick resync.

I have always had CLI on all my DECT phones (2 Fons and a Gigaset). Do not disturb is also set on our bedroom phone. Despite its challenges, this is great box. I understand that the next release will have an improved ADSL2+ engine. As I am not getting a consistent 17.2Mbps I really shouldn't complain.

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2011, 22:45:14 »
Yep, I know others can get CLI at the Fritz! UI on a VDSL (FTTC) service! I can't, so I assume it must be a problem with my line (weak CLI signal, but no line fault). I doubt therefore whether any firmware upgrade would help. I've tried AVM's shorter Y-cable, which incidentally seems to have halved the (not large) accumulation of CRC errors on the broadband signal, but it hasn't benefited speeds or made any difference to the PTSN service.

;D I'm not complaining since I can get the full 88% of the reported 39992 max throughput, as close as I can get to BT's current maximum, but the dodgy line won't allow the use of the upload tones above 8.5MHz on BT's 17a profiles so that's restricted. No problem, though. I wouldn't want or need any more. At a loss to know what to do with the speed I've got, most of the time!
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2011, 22:58:32 by mervl »

Offline didahdit

• New Netter
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:40:28 »
I get around the night time odd phantom call by using the "Do not disturb" function on the Fritz! between midnight and 6am;
Doh!  Why didn't I think of that?  Don't answer!  Await the new ADSL2 engine in hope.  BT plan to upgrade my exchange to FTTC in 2012 so we'll have to await one or t'other, meantime DND will have to do.

Bob

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:44:42 »
New Beta Firmware for the Fritz!Box 7390 released today on Fritz! Labs.

Version: 84.05.07-21362

Improved DSL data throughput and interoperability for VDSL
Prioritization for voice data when using FRITZ!App Fon
FRITZ!Box name can be defined for display in the home network, media server, browser call and WLAN SSID
"fritz.box" user interface optimized for access from mobile devices
Guest access can be configured on LAN port 4
Option for entering feedback integrated into each WLAN client

Edit:

Updated without any problems. Connection speed is about 0.6Mbps down on what it was. Power consumption has increased from 34 to 44%. Interface now has a box that allows users to revert back to their previous ADSl engine if connection is not achieved.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 12:26:04 by Ardua »

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2011, 22:30:11 »
 :-\ Thanks; on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" principle, I'll stick with the "current" firmware then - it's hit the download ceiling anyway, and though upload is limited to 50% that looks like a line issue because the Box can't get any tones above 8.5MHz. Otherwise the current firmware 8.05.06 looks perfect on my VDSL line, apart from the known hit and miss (in my case, miss) CLI on VDSL lines which doesn't seem to be a firmware issue anyway. January doesn't seem too long to wait for the next regular upgrade, if I think better of it.

EDIT: just for info: am I right that installing beta firmware loses all your settings (including internet connectivity) so you have to restore from a password-protected backup (as it won't recognise the same box) or do you have to re-enter manually? I have a lot of customised settings. Seems a bother for not very much according to the list of features!
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011, 22:47:29 by mervl »

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:58:42 »

just for info: am I right that installing beta firmware loses all your settings (including internet connectivity) so you have to restore from a password-protected backup (as it won't recognise the same box) or do you have to re-enter manually? I have a lot of customised settings. Seems a bother for not very much according to the list of features!

No. I always use 'Save Settings' first. The beta upload should not change any of your settings; however, if you have any issues with the beta firmware and want to recover back to the previous release then use of the recovery tool will, as I understand it, clear all your settings which are easily restored provided you have a back up. That said, I have never had a problem uploading any beta firmware.

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:58:27 »
Thanks again. Well despite misgivings I jumped in both feet first. It's given about 1Mbps extra on both its reported upload and download attainable speeds, and the ability to specify alternative DNS servers (such as my Open DNS account), as I have had the occasional problem with IDNet's settings (reported on another earlier thread). As far as PTSN and VOIP go, I dunno yet . . . though they're still showing on the UI anyway.

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:03:52 »
What is your power consumption % showing? I was showing 32 - 34% and I now have a steady 44%. I think that they have also tweaked the stability settings as, on ADSL2+, I have a slightly lower connection rate with few errors. 

Offline mervl

• Grand Netter
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2011, 14:32:58 »
Power gone up from 45% to 55% (equates to 2.2W, I believe, so I'm not bothered), about 12W total. Slightly warmer, and processor use is a bit higher, but of course it's one piece of equipment rather than a dual modem/router. I've also connected a memory stick to add storage, which I suspect accounts for the extra power consumption.

Error count has always been high on my line, I suspect because of the number of repair joints on the underground line between me and the cab (at almost every one of the 50 or so houses!). There doesn't seem to be any logic to it though. Clearly the line is interleaved viz it can attract millions of FECs per day.

The graphing of irrecoverable errors (same as CRC which shows up as 0.2/min at the Cab and 0.5-1/min at the Box?) over the day halved from a max of between 300 or so per hour for usually two hours over the day and a min of up to 20 per hour for most of the rest of the time (not obviously related to use of the connection) when I replaced the 4.5m cable to the NTE socket with a 1.8m one (as part of my efforts to gain CLI). Over the last couple of hours the beta firmware has started off by halving it again. EDIT However that's par for the course as they usually rise over time after a reboot.

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2011, 14:44:28 by mervl »

Offline Ardua

• Grand Netter
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:10:54 »
My FB7390 GUI is showing that a firmware update (Beta 21372) is available. My attempt to download it resulted in a message that the update was not for my device. No damage done and the Beta 21362 firmware seems to be working well on my ADSL2+ connection. I think that AVM has tweaked the stability settings. I am getting a slightly lower connection rate at 16.5Mbps but the downstream SNR is static at 6 and until I fiddled with my connection this morning it had been very stable for 9 days with an usually low error rate.

EDIT:

just checked the Aussie FB forums and they seem to be having similar problems with Beta 21372. It would seem that this particular firmware version may not be for the international FB7390 box. This may explain why on clicking for more information in the router GUI - the details were all in German!!
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2011, 12:17:12 by Ardua »

Offline FritzBox

• Super Netter
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2011, 20:46:24 »
New Beta Firmware for the Fritz!Box 7390 released today on Fritz! Labs.

Version: 84.05.07-21362

Improved DSL data throughput and interoperability for VDSL
Prioritization for voice data when using FRITZ!App Fon
FRITZ!Box name can be defined for display in the home network, media server, browser call and WLAN SSID
"fritz.box" user interface optimized for access from mobile devices
Guest access can be configured on LAN port 4
Option for entering feedback integrated into each WLAN client

Edit:

Updated without any problems. Connection speed is about 0.6Mbps down on what it was. Power consumption has increased from 34 to 44%. Interface now has a box that allows users to revert back to their previous ADSl engine if connection is not achieved.

Thanks Ardua will stick it on tomorrow

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.