Author Topic: using a speedtouch 585 v6 uk with idnet  (Read 2662 times)

Offline boggypat

using a speedtouch 585 v6 uk with idnet
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:38:29 »
hi

due to a move from a city location with llu to a rural location with adsl max I am looking to have idnet for my phone and broadband.

I currently use be unlimited and they supply the above router, which has worked fine as far as I can tell.

Although I know there may be better routers and cheaper options, I am considering whether I can use the speedtouch to access idnet, to minimise faffing about time, get the internet up and working, and do all the things that need to be done after the move.

Does this make sense, and if it does how can I verify the status of the router and its ability to be used on idnet e.g. lock vs unlock, firmware level, etc etc.

This option would cost me £35 by not returning it to be, and my next best alternative is probably the idnet supplied netgear dgn1000 at around £60. I would probably have time to try out the speedtouch at the new house and send it back if it failed...

So I'm looking for the easy option to start with (I can get more complicated later when I have time) rather than the cheapest etc.

Other options including 2-wire 2700 HGV look attractive (cost, performance, support) except that for the inexperienced & time poor (me) I don't want to be going through the experience curve without internet support...

I want to plug it in set it up and go, with support over the telephone until it is all working.

thanks

boggy

Offline DorsetBoy

• Live-in Netter
Re: using a speedtouch 585 v6 uk with idnet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:58:31 »
 :welc2: :welc:

Welcome, the Speedtouch 585 is a good router and should be fine for your connection, I have used that model in the past and had no issues, I actually keep one here as a backup router.

Offline Rik

• Admin Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:01:49 »
Hi BP, we meet again. ;) :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Offline Ray

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:02:48 »
 :welc: :karma: and what Dorset said, I also have a Speedtouch 585 as a backup router.
Ray
--------------------

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • PC Pals Forum
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:25:04 »
:welc: :karma:
Simon.
--

Offline boggypat

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:44:45 »
Thanks for the warm welcome, and if I've been at all clear in my request for help it is all down to guiding hands and familiar faces at thinkbroadband forums (or fora). I've just gone through the human pinball experience of o2 access (ouch ping) to bt (not intelligent enough to work out what their offer actually is, to idnet (english spoken here).

Yes it is possible to go from goo goo gah gah to giving the appearance of knowledge in a very short space of time with the interweb.

I am just left with the one question, which is how can I verify that my speedtouch isn't locked?

My strategy is now to try out the speedtouch, and if it works keep it, or send it back if it doesn't and get a luxury dgn1000 from idnet with full phone support, then later get a 2wire from ebay and set it up as backup or even prime router if it is a lot better.

cheers

Offline Steve

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2010, 12:18:07 »
 :welc: :karma:

You should be able to unlock the speedtouch and apply a generic firmware.
Steve
------------

Offline Ted

• Forum Star
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2010, 23:23:24 »

This option would cost me £35 by not returning it to be, and my next best alternative is probably the idnet supplied netgear dgn1000 at around £60. I would probably have time to try out the speedtouch at the new house and send it back if it failed...

So I'm looking for the easy option to start with (I can get more complicated later when I have time) rather than the cheapest etc.

Other options including 2-wire 2700 HGV look attractive (cost, performance, support) except that for the inexperienced & time poor (me) I don't want to be going through the experience curve without internet support...

thanks

boggy

Personally, I wouldn't waste time with the Be router, I'm fairly sure they're locked. You can pick up a new one from Ebay for around £20-25 Example If it's new then you'll certainly get phone support from speedtouch.

2700's are around £10-15 also from Ebay, easy to set up with instructions from here or Tripod, they work great but alas, no phone support.
Code: [Select]
TedThere's no place like 127.0.0.1

Show unread posts since last visit.

Any information and links published in the forum are posted in good faith, but the forum staff and
owners cannot and do not accept responsibility for the content and accuracy of external websites.